Often, when I get a text message, the message will appear to be encoded and I can't read it. Here is a sample line from a recent text:

ojqVL2r f.ΘΔtܣ!-Σ7k4+F1aDes$ΦΔlY

When this happens, I get two messages instead of one, both in this kind of code, but each one is unique. I'm guessing the second is an error message of some sort, I'm not sure. This seems to happen more often when others are replying to my texts, but I can't find any discernible pattern, nor can I find any mention of it online. Help!
    07-16-09 04:16 AM
    well thats a new one
    07-16-09 12:32 PM
    yeah that's strange. i would verify you have a new os. possibly do a wipe and restore. also would re-register your phone on the host routing table, and resend the service books for good measure.
    07-16-09 05:25 PM
    yeah that's strange. i would verify you have a new os. possibly do a wipe and restore. also would re-register your phone on the host routing table, and resend the service books for good measure.
    I really am new to this smartphone business (my last phone I had for five years) so I'm not clear on all this stuff. How do I check which operating system I'm using? How do you re-register your phone?

I should add that this mostly happens when I get texts from other countries (still written in English), although even domestic texts are interspersed with bits of symbols similar to the ones in my OP. Not sure how relevant it is.

Thanks for the feedback--hopefully some more people will respond!
    07-17-09 11:57 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD