I fell asleep and forgot to unplug my pearl from the charger so it was charging all night (I usually charge it, then unplug and shut it off). I am guessing the usual auto shut off and turn on was active though. During the night I drowsingly checked it and saw a bright green LED and guessed that meant it was charging.

In the morning I unplugged it, check messages, went to take a shower, came back and found the phone completely off. Like I said before, I checked my messages and did not shut it off. I tried to turn it on and it would not turn on. So I took out the battery, put it back in, and the red light stayed on. And it turned on, and to me seemed fine.

But should I be worried about how it just shut off on its own?

I took off some apps on my way to work but there is not the much on there as is. Not sure how much is there though, how do I check?

Thanks guys!
    10-23-08 10:21 AM
    Welcome to CrackBerry.

First question, there is no problem leaving it connected after the battery is fully charged. The charging is controlled by the software in the device, once it has enough, it shuts off the power.

LED notification
    The LED light on the top of your BlackBerry device flashes different colors to indicate different statuses.

Green:
    You are in a wireless coverage area.

Blue:
    Your device is connected to a Bluetooth enabled device.

Red:
    A new message has arrived and your selected notification profile is set to notify you using the LED.
    If you are using your device with a smart card, your device is accessing data on the smart card.

Amber:
    The battery power level for your device is low. ...
    Green is your coverage indicator, it can be turned off in Options.

The shutdown is unusual, that will happen if the battery is nearly drained, but that is not the case.

Options / Status will show your file free memory.
    10-23-08 10:39 AM
    So if I have:

File Free: 17251064 bytes

Guessing thats alot? 130mb?

In screen/keyboard the LED Coverage Indicator is off and has been off. But like I said, it was a solid green last night.
    10-23-08 10:59 AM
    when it is charging and off you will get a solid green almost pulsing light.

I wouldnt worry about the shutoff, probably just happened

thats 17mb
    10-23-08 11:31 AM
    My bad. Was in class so wasn't thinking right. lol

Whats a reasonable amount of space that I should keep?
    10-23-08 12:44 PM
    I think you supposed to keep at least 14000000 free.
    10-23-08 06:00 PM
    I think you supposed to keep at least 14000000 free.
    Bare minimum is 10MB for your device to operate under stable conditions, however 12MB is recommended.

As for the OP's original question, these issues wouldn't have anything to do with you leaving your device on the charger all night. I do this every single night and I have never had an issue with ANY of my phones.
    10-23-08 06:09 PM
    You know I wouldn't necessarily worry just yet. If it occurs again I would, but these devices are capable of restarting and shutting down according to commands sent (i.e. when connected to PC and an app is updated, etc.). It could have just been an odd quirk of sorts, especially since it is quite difficult to "accidentally" shut them off.

Just keep a mental note to make sure it doesn't happen again.

Several things to try if it continues doing this unwanted behavior is to do a fresh OS install (backup and read the guidelines to updating, you are essentially doing just that with the same OS). Also simply walk into Alltel and explain you want a warrantly replacement. Just make sure to do a backup on your PC.
    10-25-08 02:21 AM
    It did it again this morning. Woke up and it was off again. Had to pull out the battery to get it on again.
    10-26-08 09:35 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD