Hey I am very new to this forum as well as Blackberry . which i have recently bought and it has OS version 4.2.0.73. Not sure whether I should upgrade to 4.5 ... Is it recommended to upgrade or i can work on the same OS version... if yes could you guide me to a place from where I can get the upgrade guide which gives step by step instructions ?
    I am able to download the 8100EastAsia_PBr4.5.0_rel255_PL2.7.0.103_A4.5.0.16 2_Vodafone_Essar_Limited__for_Hutch_Essar_devices_ .exe file while reading through one of the post here.

Thanks in anticipation of a reply
    10-01-09 10:11 AM
    4.5 is better than 4.2 by far however it is sometimes a bit slower. If you don't want the hassle of doing it manually. Just plug the BB in the PC and open the desktop manager software hit upgrade applications and let it do the work.

Note: This process will put the latest OS for your device from the carrier its flashed to not the latest OS in general.
    10-01-09 10:14 AM
    Yes you should upgrade it is like getting a whole different phone. The top post has a complete guide to upgrading and should help you.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    10-01-09 11:28 AM
    I have installed color pearl and Autolock softwares to it ... will they work or there is a different version of these that I need to get after upgrading to OS 4.5.
    Does my installed themes will also remain as it is or i need to install them again ?

thanks
    10-01-09 01:12 PM
    I guess .. reading that post makes it clear now ... about color pearl ....
    10-01-09 02:05 PM
    As long as you apps are 4.2 or higher compatible they should work with the upgraded os.

10-01-09 03:38 PM
    One last things ... I am using AT&T BBerry Pearl on rogers .. does upgrading using desktop manager or using method described here will make any difference - I mean whats the difference between upgrading using Desktop manager and the method provided in the following note " Upgrade Guide for the 8100, step by step from A to Z "
    Last edited by rajbar; 10-01-09 at 04:26 PM.
    10-01-09 04:19 PM
    It's a better and more prefered method of upgrading, and will not effect which carrier you use in the least. Neither will which carrier's OS you use.

10-01-09 09:23 PM
    Thanks all for your help .. will upgrade today and see how it goes
    10-02-09 09:39 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD