I have a lot of friends who have each had a Blackberry for years. I have noticed that I can't exchange text messages with them while they're on the phone - they can receive messages, but they can't send or reply to them. Well, now I have a Blackberry of my own and I am frustrated by this issue first hand. And then yesterday I was on a call and a txt msg came in, so I replied (out of habit - I used to have a Treo). The message went out successfully! I even got a reply to my reply, even though I was still on the same call! I tried several times to send another message while on that same call but they all failed.

I just spent about an hour searching this site (after about 5 mins searching the worthless Blackberry and Verizon sites) but couldn't find anyone discussing this particular problem. It's not a Pearl-specific issue, for sure, but I thought I'd post my question here, since I am, after all, a Pearl user. :+)

Does anyone know whether we should be able to send SMS text messages while on a call? If not, WTF?! I could do it on my Treo! And why did it work for that one message yesterday?

If yes, how do I ensure that the behavior is consistent?

Verizon is my carrier, just in case that makes any difference.

Thanks for your help!
    Swalsh
    05-16-08 02:57 PM
    I send and receive text messages all the time while talking on the phone.

I'm 99% of the time on a BT headset, I press the back key, and confirm going to the home screen. From there I punch away on the SureType. During a normal 40 minute call, I've probably sent and received well over 100 messages without a problem.
    05-17-08 09:34 AM
    So do I text and talk constantly.
    05-17-08 09:35 AM
    Thanks for your feedback - must be a personal problem. ;+) I'll just keep trying. It worked 100% of the time yesterday for the first time. Maybe I needed to just keep trying - maybe there were some cobwebs in there or something. Haven't been on the phone much today so I can't test it!

Thanks again for your help!
    Swalsh
    05-19-08 04:06 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD