I am fairly new to the blackberry and I am finding there are a number of options that I have no idea what they do. What is the difference between putting the phone in standby mode, locking the keyboard, and security timeout? What exactly does security timeout do? Mine is set at 2 min, but i don't think its doing anything. Can someone help me please. I am so confused.
    05-19-08 04:31 PM
    Standby mode is simply that when you press the mute button, the device is in standby mode to conserve the battery.

When you locking the keyboard is a security function which allows only a user with the password to unlock it to use the device.

The securtiy time out is the amount of time before the password lock kicks in when you lock the keyboard.
    05-19-08 04:55 PM
    Security time out is if you have a password enabled after 2 mins of inactivity your BB locks and need to type the password to unlock it again. It is a security feature in case your bb gets stolen or the like.
    Standby puts your bb to sleep in a since. You'll still get calls and alerts but it helps save your battery, also prevents keys being pressed accidentally.
    Lock just locks your keyboard.
    05-19-08 05:00 PM
    if your phone has timed outed and locked can you answer a call if some one calls you with it still locked ?
    how do you cut the lock feature on and off ?
    05-31-08 03:27 PM
    Yes, you can answer the phone with it still locked. If you set Options/Security Options/General Settings/Allow Outgoing Calls While Locked: Yes, you can also call out while locked. To me, this defeats a key benefit of locking the phone.

Unless your password is controlled by an IT Policy, you can Enable/Disable it in the same menu.
    05-31-08 08:25 PM
    Where do you set your password at? I have went to the Security options, but where do I choose the password I want to use??? I have it currently disabled, but have changed the settings I want, but I am afraid to save, since I don't know what or where to make the password.....
    I am a newbie, can you tell?
    05-31-08 09:38 PM
    You enable it in the Security Options, then when you press the Escape key to get out of the Security Options menu, you'll be prompted to enter and re-enter the password. Don't worry, that confuses a lot of folks the first time.
    05-31-08 09:42 PM
    What if you can disable the option?
    06-13-08 02:14 PM
    What if you can disable the option?
    I don't understand your question. Unless you have an IT policy that mandates passwords, it is the user's choice whether to enable them or not.
    06-13-08 02:27 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD