I have had my BB 8230f for a few weeks now and I am enjoying it. I have a new icon on my main screen (just below and to the right of the battery icon) that I can't figure out what it is and what it means. It's the same icon that is next to the 1 key on the keypad. (looks like a roll of 110 film laying on it's side) I have a feeling it's something simple and I'll have to slap my forehead once I learn it's meaning.

I've searched everywhere and can't find the answer.

Thank you!!

Dawn
    05-27-09 07:56 AM
    a voicemail message maybe?
    05-27-09 08:24 AM
    I have no new messages.
    05-27-09 08:35 AM
    Then I'm lost. sorry I'm kinda new too. Done a battery pull?

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    05-27-09 09:03 AM
    OMG i have the same icon showing up and it will not go away on my 8900. i tried checking my voicemails but my mailbox is empty. It's very annoying!!! I've only had mine for 2 weeks and it wasn't there the first few days.
    Oddly enough, it went away. I would still like to know what it means.
    05-27-09 09:26 AM
    I think I had that icon popping up when I first this BB (my first) and, like you, it had no voicemail messages attached to it. I believe I eventually found the source of it in the SMS and MMS folder - a program called WhoCalled that was included in my Plan. This program's intent is to leave behind the phone number of a call that you don't (or can't) answer. Acknowledge the message and the icon went away.

As far as I could tell, the most pointless and irritating program I have ever had, so I had my wireless provider disable it. Since then, no false alarms with that icon.

Meanwhile, the installation of Facebook on your BB will also place an unexpected icon there when a message comes in.

Does this help?
    05-27-09 09:52 AM
    The other program that might be causing the Voice Mail icon to remain on the page is if your carrier has speech-to-text as a feature that comes with phone. If this is the case, check all of your email boxes and SMS/MMS areas for the text of the voice mail message.

Deleting the text version of the VM message cleared the icon on my new flip.

I hope this helps.
    05-27-09 10:59 AM
    Thanks for all the responses. So the icon is for VM. That answers my question.
    05-27-09 01:51 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD