Hi,

I own a Pearl Flip, 8220, and the inside screen is getting scratched from the frets on the keypad. I know I should have gotten a screen protector but I thought I didn't need it since it was a flip!

The scratches can be seen here:

I'm thinking of ordering a new lens from ebay, like this:

What exactly is required in order to put the new lens on?

There's no screws or anything so I'm assuming its glued on to the LCD or around the LCD? When I take out the old lens, do i have to superglue it back on? Plus what about dust getting trapped in between the lens and LCD? Do you guys recommend that I don't do this? I'm reading something about a heat-gun, I don't have one, will a hair-dryer do?

With that said, if there's some kind of polish I could use to clear out the scratches ... suggestions would be appreciated!

I bought it used Dec of last year, is it still under warranty do you think?

Thank you guys !!
    11-23-09 12:28 AM
    Hi,

I own a Pearl Flip, 8220, and the inside screen is getting scratched from the frets on the keypad. I know I should have gotten a screen protector but I thought I didn't need it since it was a flip!

The scratches can be seen here:

I'm thinking of ordering a new lens from ebay, like this:

What exactly is required in order to put the new lens on?

There's no screws or anything so I'm assuming its glued on to the LCD or around the LCD? When I take out the old lens, do i have to superglue it back on? Plus what about dust getting trapped in between the lens and LCD? Do you guys recommend that I don't do this? I'm reading something about a heat-gun, I don't have one, will a hair-dryer do?

With that said, if there's some kind of polish I could use to clear out the scratches ... suggestions would be appreciated!

I bought it used Dec of last year, is it still under warranty do you think?

Thank you guys !!
    What you are showing in those pics is exactly what I have and what is a very common problem for most all flip devices, including the 8220. There is bound to be contact with the keypad area and the screen on flip form factor devices.

Some 8220 owners claim that even after months and months of use they don't have that half oval scratching....that really surprises me...hard for me to believe actually. People who claim they don't have the scratches...I would love for them to post pics of the proof

After about a week of regular use...my Flip started getting the half oval....since then I've had a screen protector on it...but of course even that has got it big time now.

As far as replacing the original lcd cover....not going to be an easy operation at all. You will have to pretty much disassemble the entire device. I would only do it if you have the correct tools and some serious comfort with tearing electronics apart.

Here is a video of the disassembly...

8220 Pearl Flip Disassembly Video Released by CNN.cn | BerryReview.com

Also, here is where you can buy the right tools....and pretty much anything else part-wise you could want.

Cellular Nationwide Network - 3G, Sony, Panasonic, LG, SonyEricsson, Nokia, Tools, BlackBerry,

Good Luck...you'll need it

Cheers!
    11-23-09 01:10 AM
    I bought Clear Armor that I found on Crackberry just about as soon as I bought my Flip. While it does leave an impression on the armor, it protects the actual screen (the whole phone actually).

I've always had flip-type phones. This is the first where this "impression" thing has been noticeable.
    11-23-09 01:31 PM
    I bought Clear Armor that I found on Crackberry just about as soon as I bought my Flip. While it does leave an impression on the armor, it protects the actual screen (the whole phone actually).

I've always had flip-type phones. This is the first where this "impression" thing has been noticeable.

Wow ... $31 to my home in Canada.
    That's just a little crazy ... almost 2x the cost of the product itself.

Guess I will have to find another solution.
    11-24-09 06:41 PM
    Before you start ripping OEM plastic covers off the phone , try covering the screen with a BSE or similar protector. The Zagg on my inner screen got gummy and started to peel away, so I took it off. After a few months without a protector, I got the same identical screen scratches as you. When I put a BSE on the inner screen, the fret scratches became invisible.
    Best Skins Ever, Inc. Home Page
    11-24-09 09:39 PM
    Every flip I've had has made some sort of a mark on it, this is my 3rd flip style phone so I guess I'm used to it but for me the outer face always gets scratched up bad just. Just my 2 cents

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    11-24-09 10:20 PM
    I've had mine for about a year, I haven't gotten the scratches inside yet. Of course, I've only ever had the actual phone six months at a time, then replaced. So maybe 6 months isn't long enough to get scratched? Outside screen gets scratched though from being in my pocket with keys(really tried to get out of that habit).

Of course, I'd post pictures, but I have one camera, My phone. LOL
    11-25-09 12:55 AM
    Outside screen gets scratched though from being in my pocket with keys(really tried to get out of that habit).
    Ye Gods, man! I couldn't live with myself if I didn't have screen protectors on my phone, especially with phone and keys rubbing shoulders. My car/house keys caused lumps in the BSE and I had to replace it, but the screen itself stayed virgin.

I bet if you put a BSE on it now, it would really diminish the existing scratches.
    11-25-09 11:42 AM
    I don't really keep phones long enough to care about the scratches on them. Of course, I'm sure I'd get more on ebay selling them if I did get protectors. I don't know that it would be enough to justify the cost of a protector. I get about average price now and it doesn't take much work.

A bigger problem for me is throwing out the boxes and manuals. LOL

Of course, eventually I'm gonna have to stop this new everything every year.
    11-25-09 10:49 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD