Is there a way to disable voice command?

Nothing worst than to reach for your BB in a meeting to check notes or the calendar only to mistakenly activate the voice command. I hate it. I hate the location of the button! I'm always hitting it! People look at me in government halls and meetings, when I'm with clients... arrg! tell me that there is a way... please!
    02-21-08 06:55 AM
    Change your side convenience button.
    Options>Screen/Keyboard>Scroll down and have at it!
    My left is calendar, right is keyboard lock.
    02-21-08 07:13 AM
    when in voice command ... hit the menu button and you can change the voice prompt (turn it off). That way, if you hit the button, it says nothing.
    02-21-08 07:59 AM
    Yeah I've turned off my VAD prompts for that very reason.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    02-21-08 02:31 PM
    You can remove VAD completely from your device then you'll never have to worry about it!
    02-21-08 02:39 PM
    You can remove VAD completely from your device then you'll never have to worry about it!
    I wouldn't remove it. It comes in handy with a blue tooth headset especially when driving if you ever get one.

I would just change the side button so if you accidentally hit it it opens up some other application. My side buttons are programed for Calendar and Camera.
    02-21-08 02:47 PM
    This is one of those things that at the moment it happens it's a high priority because you are embarassed, but after the meeting you forget to take action until the next time it happens.
    02-21-08 03:53 PM
    wow this was very helpful to me also! Thanks for the tip
    02-21-08 04:47 PM
    Yup, remap that button before it goes off in a public restroom.
    02-21-08 05:09 PM
    I love this community! Great tips everyone!!!
    02-21-08 05:20 PM
    i cleared my side buttons and left nothing assigned to them. their inconvenient to use for me, and theres really nothing in the phone i cant get to quickly enough through the icons.
    plus i have a celphone holder in my car (on one of the AC vents) i've had it forever and like it, and the side buttons would get pressed regularly so that helped also.

cheers
    02-21-08 06:35 PM
    Great tip, thanks.
    02-21-08 07:58 PM
    I just changed it application changer.

Thanks!!
    02-21-08 08:40 PM
    Thank You!!!! I've changed the con button to calender! NO MORE "say your command" Yeah!
    11-13-08 10:03 AM
    Just wanted to say thanks to the OP for the belly laugh. I woke up this morning and turned on my laptop to get my CrackBerry fix, and when I saw the title of this thread, ("Say A Command" Arrrgg! Shutup!) I literally laughed out loud.

Great way to start the morning!
    11-13-08 11:18 AM
    So if I were to switch VAD button to lock the keyboard would I just use the same button to unlock it, too??? Sorry, newbie!!!
    11-13-08 04:03 PM
    So if I were to switch VAD button to lock the keyboard would I just use the same button to unlock it, too??? Sorry, newbie!!!
    Yes. but you will still need to press * > Call button to unlock

Welcome aboard newbie don't be sorry for having questions. Stick around
    and you'll be up to speed in no time.

You should if you haven't check out the 101 Lecture in my sig. Good stuff there
    Last edited by amazinglygraceless; 11-13-08 at 04:27 PM.
    11-13-08 04:21 PM
    Thanks! I have to say this is my first BB and I LUV it!!!!! Definitely hooked!!
    11-13-08 04:50 PM
    Pearl:"Say a command"
    ME:F*CK YOU!
    Pearl: "Did you say call Verizon?"

I've never had Verizon but my friend does and I've heard its pretty bad lol. I just have mine set to camera/video camera so I can get any funny/cool videos/pictures quickly.
    11-14-08 04:02 PM
    I've never had Verizon but my friend does and I've heard its pretty bad lol.
    It's going to be fun to watch the replys to this one.

I'll never leave Verizon. I use my vzw bb in 48 states and I can tell you from experience that I have signal where other carriers don't. Nothing even comes close to Verizon's coverage. I'm happy to sacrifice the availability of the latest gsm devices for a solid coast-to-coast signal, unsurpassed call quality and rarely a dropped call.

11-14-08 04:28 PM
    It's going to be fun to watch the replys to this one.

I'll never leave Verizon. I use my vzw bb in 48 states and I can tell you from experience that I have signal where other carriers don't. Nothing even comes close to Verizon's coverage. I'm happy to sacrifice the availability of the latest gsm devices for a solid coast-to-coast signal, unsurpassed call quality and rarely a dropped call.

I meant that people hate how they lock down the device, cripple the GPS, and I've heard they've had bad customer service.
    11-14-08 05:51 PM
    I meant that people hate how they lock down the device, cripple the GPS, and I've heard they've had bad customer service.
    Oh, well you are right about the GPS, but they don't lock down the device. I can install any 3rd party app I want. And they have excellent CS. I've been with them for over 6 years now and they treat me like royalty. Although I DO give them about 400 bucks a month these days, they've always treated me great even when I spent far less.

It's going to take a lot more than proprietary GPS to get me to jump ship.

Edit: in all fairness I should add that they also disable wifi, but again, it's not enough to make me bail.
    Last edited by TravellingFool; 11-14-08 at 07:08 PM.
    11-14-08 06:51 PM
    Awesome. I have been embarrassed by "Say a Command" lady for the last time.
    12-16-08 04:15 PM
    I set my side button to lock the keys after I heard say a command for the fourteen billionth time. I now enjoy it much more.

12-16-08 08:19 PM
    I thought it was great the first time I heard "Say your command" and it did what I told it without any training. I didn't know you could turn the voice off, so, I installed Vlingo. It's a nice program that will still let you use your voice dialing. As a bonus you can dictate short emails or text messages with it. Very nice when I'm driving. You have to train it a little but it's good with voice dialing right off. Oh yeah, it free.
    12-17-08 06:11 AM
33 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD