Hi All,

I am desperate to find someone who may be able to help me.

I have a BB Pearl running 4.2.2 and purchased a 2GB SD card for the purpose of adding music files.

I have downloaded Roxio Media Manager to PC and uploaded to BB no problem, however Roxio will not read my SD card.

You can see the available storage on the BB but Roxio is not seeing the media card at all when you launch the Media Manager.

I have 2 SD cards (128MB and 2GB) and I have reformatted both and also checked Mass Storage settings but to no avail.
    09-10-07 02:53 AM
    When you connect the device to a pc, are you getting a message on the device, "enable mass storage"? If you do, press Yes, now open Media Manager, in Desktop Manager...
    09-10-07 03:20 AM
    I have connected the devise by pc and are still not getting the option to enable mass media storage. Additionally I have updated firmware on the device and now I have also lost all of my standard setting (fonts, ringtones etc).
    09-10-07 08:10 PM
    I have the same problem help!!!!
    09-16-07 07:48 PM
    My device is not showing the "enable mass storage" message either. Can anyone help with this?
    09-20-07 10:01 PM
    you can do it manually by going to options\advanced options\media card. you can enable the card there...
    09-20-07 10:04 PM
    I am having the same problem. I have gone to the options\advanced options\media card and my curve still will not read the card. When I try formating, it can't succeed.

kai
    pac-gateway.com
    09-21-07 12:21 PM
    Just some more ideas that might help...

The old laptop I'm using uses USB 1.1 (this shouldn't make a difference as desktop manager works fine)

The pre-Roxio Media Manager version of Desktop Manager works fine (I can see files on the media card)

The card is not assigned a drive letter in XP explorer and I wonder whether it needs to be mapped before Media Manager can see it. I would expect that when mass storage is on, encryption and security are disabled that the card would appear as a drive in Windows XP in much the same way as it does when I plug the SD directly into the laptop's SD slot (with micro to standard adapter of course).

Of course I could use the "take the card out of the device, plug into the pc, download from media manager, put back into device" method, but this is cumbersome and the device would eventually be wrecked.

Any ideas?

Thanks, I can't tell you how much this is bugging me. It seems this Media Manager issue has really fallen between the cracks. Licensed software => Blackberry don't offer much advice on their site because it's Roxio's problem and Roxio don't offer much advice on their site because it's Blackberry's problem.
    09-21-07 04:56 PM
    I am having the same problem and found the following on the BB support site in the release notes for DM 4.2.2:

SDR 121282

If you have set a password on your BlackBerry device, you must enter it on your device to be able to access your microSD media card through the media manager tool.

Impact: The Media Card folder is not accessible in the media manager tool until you enter your password on your device.

Workaround: None

So: maybe someone can figure out how to enter the password on the device: There does not seem to be a way to do it via the BB media card interface...
    10-01-07 04:45 PM
    I have tried now reformatting the media card after uninstalling Desktop Manager. The basic problem in this thread and many others I've read this afternoon is that the USB drive will not start properly when the BB is connected to the computer. This prevents both Windows and DM from seeing the SD card on the BB.
    10-01-07 07:03 PM
    I had a breakthrough diagnosing this problem. This might be of help with this thread:

I am running Win XP SP2 on a IBM Thinkpad t60p. I have been assuming the problem was the BB and chasing the issues mentioned on this thread and others like the mass storage mode, formatting the media card, trying different ports, etc. Well, today I just plugged the BB into an older THinkpad and it worked fine. So, you may want to try that simple test to really see if it is a problem with your computer or your BB.

Strange thing about the problem being with thinkpad, is that I can insert flash thumbdrives and they work just fine, i.e,. they show up as disk drives under 'My Computer'. This is the heart of the problem and if you open the Windows Control panel > System > Hardware > Device Manager and then look at the Disk Drives section when your BB is attached via USB, it should show up and should show that it is working. On my thinkpad t60p, the BB showed up under disk drives, but with a warning icon indicating it isn't functioning properly. I tried uninstalling the driver and redetecting using 'Add Hardware' and also tried updating the driver via the Device Manager (both accessed via right clicking on the BB entry under disk drives), to no avail.

Regardless of whether you choose to use the Desktop Manager or just use Windows Explorer to move files on to your BB, it must show up as a properly functioning disk drive in the Device Manager. I don't know what to do yet to fix the problem with my thinkpad but will post again if I find something out.
    10-02-07 03:29 PM
    Thanks everyone...

I'll try my work laptop (a Dell) and let you know how I get on.
    10-03-07 06:53 AM
    I downloaded the desktop manager 4.2.2 thinking the roxio media manager would make things a little easier to convert/transfer. Little did I know that I would be reformatting media cards (losing data) and trying everything I could find on every BB around the place to fix it.

Entering the password on the device itself (after doing it 3 times on my PC already...!) was the trick to get it to switch over to mass storage mode for Roxio to recognize it.

Do they test this stuff!!??

Thanks very much for your help - I've now registered here at crackberry.com as it's obviously the source for good info.
    10-04-07 09:59 PM
    So for some reason Roxio Media Manager has an issue with your computer assigning the driver letter B:\ to the media card (also if you have another drive mapped and it automatically tries to assign that same letter to the media card it just won't show up at all in Windows Explorer.)

I went to Start --> Administrative Tools --> Computer Management

Then under Storage click on Disk Management. From here right click on the RIM USB device drive and change the driver letter to something that is not already used by your computer and NOT B:\

Jon,,
    02-13-08 04:10 PM
    I have a Compaq F756NR running Roxio MM 4.3 with an 8320 and this worked for me: Set "mass storage mode support" to "on" and "auto enable mass storage mode when connected" to "prompt"...hope this helps....
    02-18-08 11:50 AM
    I had the same problem when I first got my phone. I even went back to the store thinking perhaps it was the media card itself; it wasn't. They suggested uninstalling the BBDM and reinstalling it BEFORE I plug my phone into the computer. Of course I did that and it didn't work. Then by some weird chance, I told my phone not to enable the media card and wham-o there it was on the DM. Granted this was the older version of the DM BTW. So, when I DL'ed the newest 4.3 DM to the comp, I did the same thing and it didn't even see the card. So I pulled the phone plugged it back in and said yes to enable the mass storage and wham-o there it was on the Roxio Media. I have learned not to ask why, but playing around with things from time to time helps..A LOT!! Hope this helps. Going into the settings and making sure you have the prompt command set on the media card helps too.
    02-18-08 01:36 PM
    there is something to this problem because im have ing the same or a similer problem if any one can help please see thread 8100 help w/ os please if your an administrator make one of these sticky because i have posted on 4 and started a new thread because other than very similar problems on many different threads they all have one thing in common NO RESOLUTIONS TO THE PROBLEMS PLEASE SOMEBODY SAVE ME FROM MOTOROLA.
    02-22-08 01:59 AM
    i have been using my sd card to store photographs since i purchased but used Roxio for BB for the first time today and know my BBpearl is telling me there are errors on the card to do a check disk from my pc. Anyone had this happen?
    04-01-08 08:59 PM
    I'm having a problem as well. It all started when I pulled the media card from the BB. I tried reinserting it and even though it gave me a "media device inserted" message, it's now telling me that it can't be read and needs to be reformatted. And clicked "yes enable mass storage" when connecting it to my computer and it still isn't showing up. In Windows Explorer the drive shows up as "mass storage device" but when I click on it it gives me a "please insert a disk into drive F" message. I *really* don't want to have to reformat the card and lose everything on there
    04-03-08 03:10 AM
    Once Mass Storage has been activated then the phone's media card looks like a normal PC disk to Windows.

I struggled with DM 4.3 but did finally manage to make Roxio copy stuff to my phone but it was so much easier once I had gone to Options > Advanced Options > Media Card

Media Card Support = On

Encryption Mode = None

Mass Storage Mode Support = On

Auto Enable Mass Storage
    Mode When Connected = Prompt

Now whe you connect the USB cable the phone will prompt 'Do you want to turn on Mass Storage Mode?' Yes/No

If the phone has formatted the card correctly (mine did it automatically) then you will see a folder called 'BlackBerry' and within that you will see other folders called 'music', 'pictures', ringtones' and 'videos'

This means that you don't need to use the horrible Roxio software. RIM should ditch this POS asap.
    04-03-08 08:12 AM
    My card *was* formatted correctly. Now it... isn't, anymore, because it decided it didn't want to be or something, and despite having all those options selected, Roxio insists there's nothing there, and the phone continues to insist the card's not formatted correctly.
    04-03-08 09:32 AM
    I had the same problem

Make your setting like Pete6 says, but I found it was important to assign the drive letter to something not low in the list, so I set it to X: and Roxio picked it up right away, works great now.

Thanks to the forum for the ideas.

09-06-08 05:45 PM
    I had the same problem. Try renaming your letter drive to something other that A: B: or C:.
    To do this, using windows XP
    Go to:
    Start/Control Panel/Administrative Tools/Computer Management/Storage/Disk Managment
    From there you should be able to change the drive letter.
    09-26-08 02:21 PM
    I had the same problem. Try renaming your letter drive to something other that A: B: or C:.
    To do this, using windows XP
    Go to:
    Start/Control Panel/Administrative Tools/Computer Management/Storage/Disk Managment
    From there you should be able to change the drive letter.
    I followed your directions but when I go to change the drive letter I get an error that says "Logical Disk Manager: The operation did not complete because the partition or volume is not enabled. To enable the partition or volume, restart the computer." And then when I restart my computer nothing happens, does anyone have any suggestions?

Thank You
    09-26-08 06:50 PM
    I have tried every single thing mentioned on this thread. Nothing works. Neither XP nor Roxio will recognize the SD card. Actually, it "sees" the sd card, naming it "Removable Disk" but when you click on it in either "My Computer" or on Roxio, it states to insert a disk - ie., it sees no data, or even any formatting.

I then tried on my Mac. It sees it just fine - no need for any Roxio crap or Desktop Manager - you can just drag and drop, easy as pie.

It's not really Desktop Manager or Roxio's fault. XP doesn't see the data - that's kind of a prerequisite for a 3rd party program to see it.

There will be no solution until RIM figures out what buggy crap about XP causes this to happen and makes a workaround. That's why I default to Mac (even though Apple is very Microsofty these days) - it just plain works.
    10-17-08 02:46 PM
27 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD