Hi guys; how would someone go about rooting out spyware on your blackberry? I'm more interested in the insidious stuff (activating the microphone to listen in, capturing all your SMS/Email/Phone logs, etc).. think anti-stalker stuff, if that stalker were a computer techie type. I might have someone trying to hack in, so I'm looking for ways to block it.. long story, messy, you don't want to hear it......
    06-30-08 02:41 PM
    BlackBerry - Forensics Wiki

Has basic BB forensics but it's oriented toward investigations for misuse.

If it's your own BB and not a corporate one and you really suspect such things (which are quite unlikely on a BB unless you're dealing with a nation-state) then do a wipe and reload from pristine sources and make sure you don't install anything, keep the FW on, and keep it in your possession.

Hardware-wise tampering you should search for TSCM and Granite Island via Google.

Otherwise we get into a JDE discussion and you need to start reading BlackBerry - BlackBerry Developer Program | Resources, Sample Code, Developer Labs & Newsletter resources.
    06-30-08 02:59 PM
    Thanks, I feel a little better.. I do have reasons to suspect an attempt at hacking the thing would at least be made, but as I'm not much of a tech guru I didn't know how likely it'd be to succeed. Sounds like a BB is much more secure than a regular cellphone (we've got a cellphone that's acting up).. I did have a couple of instances of the browser going to websites I hadn't visited (personals on craigslist for example) which is why I was wondering about the possibility of the beast being compromised.. I'll do some of that reading you suggested over lunch.. thanks again..
    06-30-08 03:27 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD