Hey. I flip my phone to vibrate at night, but I wanted to have it still ring for calls from a few people (gf & parents). Is that possible?
    08-25-09 09:06 PM
    You can set custom profile settings for them, and when you are setting the profiles up, instead of setting it to ring at what the profile is set to, set it so it always rings.

If you have never set up a custom sound like this, let us know and we can walk you through it.
    08-25-09 09:31 PM
    Would that work for SMS events from that contact as well or just telephone?

I've never set this up, would be grateful for any tips.. do I do this through the address book, or through the profiles menu?
    08-26-09 09:02 AM
    When you go into your profiles list, go to advanced. You should see a list under the profile options that says "Use active profile except for:" followed by a selectable list of contacts.
    I've never used this option before so it may require some tinkering to get it right, but that's my best suggestion. I don't know of any other way to assign a ringtone for only a certain contact on an otherwise silent profile.
    Good luck!

Also, this is on my 8130. I'm assuming the 8110 has the same option but I'm not sure.
    08-26-09 09:17 AM
    Cool, I'll poke around a bit Thanks for the help!
    08-26-09 12:18 PM
    As far as getting text to be audible I took one of my profiles and went into advanced and set the volume to mute on phone and set volume to mute on SMS if you have custom ringtones assigned and highlighted under "use active profile except for" those callers will still ring. Hope that helps out.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    Last edited by brennans8up; 08-26-09 at 10:23 PM.
    08-26-09 10:20 PM
    On this same thought, is it possible to have a default setting for only phone numbers in your address book, and then all unknown callers (contacts not in your phone book) have a different ring tone? I'm hoping there is an easier way than I'm thinking, which is to set up a new profile and make all the callers in that profile be an exception, setting the same ring tone for each one. That seems so time consuming and tedious.
    08-28-09 03:37 PM
    On this same thought, is it possible to have a default setting for only phone numbers in your address book, and then all unknown callers (contacts not in your phone book) have a different ring tone? I'm hoping there is an easier way than I'm thinking, which is to set up a new profile and make all the callers in that profile be an exception, setting the same ring tone for each one. That seems so time consuming and tedious.
    If you mean 1 ringtone for every contact in your address book but a seperate tone for all other calls, I'm not sure if there's an easy way. I believe I'm thinking of the same solution you are and it is pretty tedious.
    08-28-09 03:44 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD