About every week or so, my ringer quits working....like it's on "silent" mode, but it's not. I have to do a battery removal reboot to fix it...a soft reboot won't even fix it. This phone is only a month old. Is there something specific wrong? Should I get it replaced? Anyone know?? Thanks for considering helping me...

Tom Hawkins
    10-28-09 10:28 PM
    I have run into this, and I know of an issue with the Loud Profile. If you set up your normal profile and turn it up for your ringers, it should work fine.

If you arent using your loud profile, then please disregard this message :-)
    11-21-09 07:25 PM
    About every week or so, my ringer quits working....like it's on "silent" mode, but it's not. I have to do a battery removal reboot to fix it...a soft reboot won't even fix it. This phone is only a month old. Is there something specific wrong? Should I get it replaced? Anyone know?? Thanks for considering helping me...

Tom Hawkins
    Interesting, do me a favor and the next time it does this to you, hold down ALT and press L,G,L,G

That will bring up your event log and what you will be looking for as you scroll down, is an entry that is in BOLD, scroll to it, click on it and tell me what the error is. If it is a playerUpdate 5 or 6 error of that nature, it may be defective etc. Just let me know.
    11-23-09 02:50 AM
    My phone does the same exact thing. I was wondering if mine was defective as well. It's only a couple of months old and started doing this about 2 weeks or so after I got it.
    11-24-09 08:25 PM
    Interesting, do me a favor and the next time it does this to you, hold down ALT and press L,G,L,G

That will bring up your event log and what you will be looking for as you scroll down, is an entry that is in BOLD, scroll to it, click on it and tell me what the error is. If it is a playerUpdate 5 or 6 error of that nature, it may be defective etc. Just let me know.

I did this. What's in bold on mine is 3 of these in a row: E profiles - AlertEngine:

When I click on it it says AlertEngine: playerUpdate - error: 5
    11-27-09 01:06 PM
    I am having the same ringer issues, and I have tried everything listed here (and everywhere else I've looked) to no avail. The only error messages I've found have say E Profiles - TuneManage, then say that certain tunes do no exist. Are there any other methods aside from the battery pull that could fix this, short of just taking it to be repaired? The phone is barely three weeks old, and started doing this out of nowhere one day ago
    12-09-09 04:10 PM
    I did this. What's in bold on mine is 3 of these in a row: E profiles - AlertEngine:

When I click on it it says AlertEngine: playerUpdate - error: 5
    Sorry for the long delay mah man..yes so to address it, I was getting this same error time and time again with relentless OS upgrades etc. The phone works flawless except for this annoyance, am I right? If so....you are going to have to do a full wipe with CrackUtil and use all 3 option on the last Tab to nuke the phone entirely. (please make sure you back up what you need to.) Then and only then....make sure you have downloaded the proper carrier specific latest OS for your Flip and install. DON"T use any of the other ones posted by deleting the .xml file etc. Just your own carrier OS. Then you should be good to go.

I have been a week now with no error and counting
    12-10-09 02:24 AM
    Also to note, follow the steps if you have Desktop Manager 5.0 or higher to load a new OS from scratch. It's straight forward. As well, please check out BigBadWolf's CrackUtil wipe application tutorial.
    12-10-09 02:26 AM
    I had the exact same issue with my Blackberry flip about a month after I got it earlier this year. Frustrating and intermittent. I could tell when it had happened because in addition to not ringing, there was no sound when I played the sample video content that came with the phone.

Only solution the guys at the network store (Bell) could come up with was the remove-the-battery-reboot. But the remove-the-battery-reboot sometimes had to be done several times. They firmly believed it was a software problem. I found I would be playing the sample video several times a day to ensure that the sound was working to make sure that I wouldn't miss any calls.

Finally they agreed to replace it with a reconditioned unit. On the day I took it in to swap it, I figured out how to recreate the problem, and it was a physical problem. I would start up the sample video and while the sound was playing, if I very gently squeezed the open unit, with my thumb at the bottom front (just below the keyboard) and my finger on the battery door at the back, the sound would cut out. I also discovered that I could restore the sound the same way. The remove-the-battery-reboot process just happened to put pressure on whatever was flaky inside the unit.

I wasn't excited about my one month old flip being replaced with a reconditioned unit, but it looked like new when I got it, it's been working great for over six months (touch wood), and I am real happy with it.

Sorry for the long post, but when I had this problem and searched I never found a solution, so I wanted to leave the whole story so that others may be able to recreate the same symptoms if they have a similar problem.
    12-14-09 09:53 PM
    I have the same problem with my brand new Storm 2. Mine stopped making sounds of any kind. That is, not only did my phone not ring, but my Alarm did not sound, etc. Only a Battery Pull fixed the problem. So, contrary to the post above that says that this is a problem related to OS upgrades, I believe that RIM has introduced a problem into its core OS software.
    12-14-09 10:09 PM
    My new 8230 flip lost camera use after a month and was also doing this same thing with it not ringing and some other things. I took it in and they sent me another one, actually it was a 'reconditioned' one, which i think is total bs after paying the money for a brand new one and then it is defective I think I should have gotten a brand new one to replace it! But anyway the 'new' one they sent me has already started acting up, won't ring sometimes, times out a lot, once the display on the front screen was upside down until i opened and closed it again, I just downloaded some ringtones last night and now it keeps telling me that it can't play them because the device manager is busy and it gives me an error. I did the Alt LGLG thing and I have like 15 entries in bold from where i did the ringtones last night, but they are all playerUpdate error:1, and then CSFT and Content Alert Play messages saying error initializing media. I got the tones from Crackberry by the way if that makes a difference, I've never tried to use it before. Any help would be appreciated!
    12-23-09 09:10 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD