My new Pearl seems to have a mind of its own with regard to dimming the screen. I will be actively working on the device when it will suddenly dim to about 50% brightness, and then will return to 100% after 20 seconds, 40 seconds, sometimes 90 seconds...whether I am pressing keys or not.

Can someone shed light on (preferably not a dimmed light...had enough of that) how this function is supposed to behave?

Thx...
    02-15-08 02:46 PM
    I think this is how it works from experience. If the sensor on the phone picks up more light, it brightens the screen so you can see it better. If it picks up low light, it dims the screen to save battery life and figures since it's darker you can see the screen ok without having to make it brighter. Try it out y moving the phone into a darker area and a lighter area.
    02-15-08 02:58 PM
    exactly. it's very intuitive - i love it. i had forgotten about this feature b/c i'm used to it. i wish my car's gps unit worked the same way.
    02-15-08 03:10 PM
    Can someone shed light on (preferably not a dimmed light...had enough of that) how this function is supposed to behave?
    Yes, normal behavior, all dependent on the ambient light detected by the sensor. If it really bugs you, it can be disabled by:

Options>Screen/Keyboard>Automatically Dim Backlight:Off
    02-15-08 05:33 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD