As BIS is being closed down, I'm looking for a replacement for my pearl 3g.
    All I need is voice, text and email.
    I want a very small phone with a replaceable battery that will achieve the above
    Closest I have found is a Nokia 2720 4g flip phone.
    Alternately is it worthwhile to keep the Pearl 3g and just run Logicmail on it?
    12-30-21 12:57 PM
    You can try this first to see what actually happens in January.

But you will only be able to send/receive email on WiFi.
    12-30-21 01:06 PM
    I want a very small phone with a replaceable battery
    Would you really need a replaceable battery if it lasts 2 days and has quickcharge?

Anyways, see my recommendation below (post #6).
    Last edited by conite; 12-30-21 at 01:21 PM.
    12-30-21 01:08 PM
    All I need is voice, text and email.
    I want a very small phone with a replaceable battery that will achieve the above
    Closest I have found is a Nokia 2720 4g flip phone.
    Any of the carrier sold and supported flip phones will allow exactly what you want. There’s no reason to spend much if any money as the carriers are giving the flip phones to anyone being displaced in 3G shutdown.
    12-30-21 01:12 PM
    Any of the carrier sold and supported flip phones will allow exactly what you want.
    LOL.

He said he needed email as well. Flip phones with those awful T9 keypads are just terrible for that.
    12-30-21 01:14 PM
    Assuming you want a current, non-Chinese, 5G device (and you should), the smallest one you'll find is the Apple 13 mini.

It can quickcharge 50% in 30 minutes, and also has wireless charging.
    12-30-21 01:14 PM
    LOL.

He said he needed email as well. Flip phones with those awful T9 keypads are just terrible for that.
    And the Pearl wasn’t miserable as well? It’s not a full PKB either but a hybrid mix between PKB and T-9 so not really much difference.
    12-30-21 01:17 PM
    And the Pearl wasn’t miserable as well? It’s not a full PKB either but a hybrid mix between PKB and T-9 so not really much difference.
    What's your point? Of course the Pearl was better than any T9 could hope to be. 2 letters per key is way different than 3, and BB's predictive software made it very usable. I almost never ever had my Pearl predict a wrong word.

A 2 letter per key basic phone that can do email could be a decent solution, but a T9 is terrible one for anything involving input of text. Absolutely horrendous. It makes VKB look like state-of-the-art typing technology in comparison, which is saying alot.
    12-30-21 01:45 PM
    I have a US version with the 2 key keypad. But have also used the UK version with standard T9 (which I turn off anyway)
    Nokia 2720 does IMAP email and I can live with the keypad.
    I've tried the unihertz titan pocket and In no way is it pocketable.

I phones are completely out as far as I'm concerned.
    12-30-21 02:21 PM
    I was actually very quick with my old Pearl 8100. The SureType was really quite good. There was also the option to double-tap to get the second letter that I started out doing the first year I had it. But then tried the SureType and was much quicker. Really hoped AT&T would pick up the Pearl 3G, but they never did, so my upgrade was to the Torch 9800.

I found my old Pearls a few days ago (my wife and I both used them), and really would not do well with the screen size today with my eyesight not being as good as they used to be.

Geez, that screen was small.
    Shuswap likes this.
    12-30-21 02:24 PM
    What's your point? Of course the Pearl was better than any T9 could hope to be. 2 letters per key is way different than 3, and BB's predictive software made it very usable. I almost never ever had my Pearl predict a wrong word.

A 2 letter per key basic phone that can do email could be a decent solution, but a T9 is terrible one for anything involving input of text. Absolutely horrendous. It makes VKB look like state-of-the-art typing technology in comparison, which is saying alot.
    I started out using BlackBerry at least 2-3 years before the Pearl and always had a full PKB like the pager or the 7200 series first. The Pearl never really made any sense to me.

Going back to OP, the Nokia flip was choice mentioned by the OP, so I let that drive the discussion. From my standpoint, the OP seems to use the device as phone for primary function if the flip is considered acceptable.
    12-30-21 03:15 PM
    I was actually very quick with my old Pearl 8100. The SureType was really quite good. There was also the option to double-tap to get the second letter that I started out doing the first year I had it. But then tried the SureType and was much quicker. Really hoped AT&T would pick up the Pearl 3G, but they never did, so my upgrade was to the Torch 9800.

I found my old Pearls a few days ago (my wife and I both used them), and really would not do well with the screen size today with my eyesight not being as good as they used to be.

Geez, that screen was small.
    Took this with my Z10 a few years ago, 6t next to my 8130. Just puts it in perspective.

Replacement for Bb Pearl 3g-6cba8d4a-c871-4dce-ae83-72f4a50da0a2.jpg
    to boldly go likes this.
    12-30-21 03:23 PM
    I have a US version with the 2 key keypad. But have also used the UK version with standard T9 (which I turn off anyway)
    Nokia 2720 does IMAP email and I can live with the keypad.
    I've tried the unihertz titan pocket and In no way is it pocketable.

I phones are completely out as far as I'm concerned.
    I wouldn't buy a device today without 5G, as that is the only guarantee that it will last a long time.

Apart from a feature phone, nothing is that small anymore. You might have to give up on the email requirement.
    12-30-21 03:58 PM
    Took this with my Z10 a few years ago, 6t next to my 8130. Just puts it in perspective.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	6CBA8D4A-C871-4DCE-AE83-72F4A50DA0A2.jpg 
Views:	7 
Size:	201.8 KB 
ID:	451449
    The app icons are just about as big on both lol
    12-30-21 04:35 PM
    You might have to give up on the email requirement.
    You see when I say that the current phone market is incomplete? Just slabs and T9's doesn't cut it.

He wants phone, sms AND email.

The latter two just about require a full keyboard. If he doesn't want a full-on smartphone, which is almost doomed to be a slab of some sort, then what is he left with?
    12-30-21 04:37 PM
    You see when I say that the current phone market is incomplete? Just slabs and T9's doesn't cut it.

He wants phone, sms AND email.

The latter two just about require a full keyboard. If he doesn't want a full-on smartphone, which is almost doomed to be a slab of some sort, then what is he left with?
    It has nothing to do with pkb vs vkb.

It has to do with having email and 5G without getting a true smartphone.
    12-30-21 04:40 PM
    It has nothing to do with pkb vs vkb.

It has to do with having email and 5G without getting a true smartphone.
    I would guess that he wants a non-Droid non-iOS device by choice as I would guess that one can get a entry level 5G phone for fairly cheap with carrier incentives.
    12-30-21 04:41 PM
    I would guess that he wants a non-Droid non-iOS device by choice as I would guess that one can get a entry level 5G phone for fairly cheap with carrier incentives.
    I'm not aware of a feature phone that does proper email.
    12-30-21 04:52 PM
    For all, it was the BlackBerry experience….

That, for some, meant the PKB of course,

For others it meant, the e-mail system, the hub or the inbox,

But for even others it was about perceived security and for some,

It was about the isolated privacy due to lack of commercial development.

At the end of the day, BBOS was supported by many as the original smartphones in a different era and that’s been a double edged sword for the BlackBerry Company and it’s variously iconic features.
    12-30-21 05:03 PM
    The app icons are just about as big on both lol
    The 6t by default has huge icons; I set the display scaling and font to as small as possible and installed Nova Launcher so I could shrink the icons to 85%. Only thing I miss from Android is the customization and a couple apps - pretty much the same feeling I had moving from BBOS to BB10.
    12-30-21 06:05 PM
    I was actually very quick with my old Pearl 8100. The SureType was really quite good.
    My fingers flew on my Pearl Flip! That was a great keyboard.
    Path6336 likes this.
    12-30-21 10:19 PM
    I'm not aware of a feature phone that does proper email.
    The best options would be to check https://old.reddit.com/r/dumbphones or the Dumbphone Finder at https://josebriones.org/dumbphones/
    12-30-21 10:21 PM
    Well, post bb server shutdown the Pearl 3g still does text and phone calls, but even with using Logicmail I cannot send/receive emails even on wifi.
    I have just setup email on a BB Q10, but find it so big to use, I may have to use both as a hybrid measure, with the Q10 acting like a small tablet.

Interestingly, the Nokia 2720 4g flip runs Kaios and can do email, but am going to find it difficult to transfer, contacts, texts, notes and tasks over to it, unlike moving this information over from the Pearl 3g to the Q10.

I will look at the dumbphone info, thanks.
    01-06-22 11:19 AM
    Well, post bb server shutdown the Pearl 3g still does text and phone calls, but even with using Logicmail I cannot send/receive emails even on wifi.
    I have just setup email on a BB Q10, but find it so big to use, I may have to use both as a hybrid measure, with the Q10 acting like a small tablet.

Interestingly, the Nokia 2720 4g flip runs Kaios and can do email, but am going to find it difficult to transfer, contacts, texts, notes and tasks over to it, unlike moving this information over from the Pearl 3g to the Q10.

I will look at the dumbphone info, thanks.
    The problem with the Logicmail happens since it does not support the recent SSL encryption standards, and there is nothing you can do here.

As for the Nokia 2720 4g - I would recommend you to try it first (in some local store), otherwise you might be heavily disappointed. Kaios as well as the other "feature phone" operating systems have degraded heavily since 2010s, and I would say that BB OS6 is FAR better than them in nearly all aspects. The same goes for the build and sound quality of the device itself: the Pearl 3g was a premium business phone, while this Nokia was designed to be as cheap as possible with the corresponding consequences. Maybe you will still like it, but this is just some food for thought.
    Shuswap likes this.
    01-06-22 03:56 PM
    The problem with the Logicmail happens since it does not support the recent SSL encryption standards, and there is nothing you can do here.
    Exactly. Logicmail uses the SSL that's built into the device. Strangely enough, it still works with outlook.com email accounts on OS7, but I think that says more about Microsoft's low bar for security than anything else.

As for the Nokia 2720 4g - I would recommend you to try it first (in some local store), otherwise you might be heavily disappointed. Kaios as well as the other "feature phone" operating systems have degraded heavily since 2010s, and I would say that BB OS6 is FAR better than them in nearly all aspects. The same goes for the build and sound quality of the device itself: the Pearl 3g was a premium business phone, while this Nokia was designed to be as cheap as possible with the corresponding consequences. Maybe you will still like it, but this is just some food for thought.
    I agree with this. I have a KaiOS phone. The build quality and the OS are both underwhelming. The old BlackBerries -- and the old Nokias for that matter -- were much higher quality devices.

If the OP does go for a "dumbphone," I'd suggest considering one of the dumbed-down Android handsets.
    01-07-22 09:15 PM