Hello Everyone,
    I have a question that I'm not clear on and I've searched the forums and I'm still foggy so I'll present it here:
    I have a VZ Pearl 8130 and I know that Verizon supposedly disables the GPS unless you have Navigator. I do have Navigator but my question is when I open BB Maps and have it to find my location, it does so. It shows a map of where I'm at, it shows the street information, mph and so and so forth. Since it does this without Navigator being turned on, does that mean that my GPS function works as a stand alone or is just because Navigator is installed it allows BB Maps to work even though Navigator isn't turn on. I would greatly appreciate an answer if someone knows it. Thank you...

Keith
    Last edited by decolur455; 09-06-09 at 12:22 AM. Reason: Typo
    09-06-09 12:13 AM
    I also have VW and an 8130, but I don't have VZ Navigator. The GPS in BB maps still works for me though. I think that's the one thing they allow. Everything else they cripple.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    09-06-09 09:02 AM
    BBMaps works without Nav. If you subscribe to Nav you are able to use any program that uses GPS. If you do not subscribe the only GPS app you can use is BBMaps. When you subscribe to Nav they unlock the GPS on your phone.

09-06-09 10:12 AM
    If you subscribe to Nav you are able to use any program that uses GPS. If you do not subscribe the only GPS app you can use is BBMaps. When you subscribe to Nav they unlock the GPS on your phone.
    From my experience, this isn't the case. I subscribe to VZW Navigator and it only allows you to use VZW Navigator. I can run Google Maps either on its own or while VZW Navigator is running and still Google Maps only triangulates my position. So, either I'm doing something wrong (and I'm open to correction about it) or it just doesn't work.

09-06-09 12:42 PM
    I've also heard this dbrits. I thought that it might have been related to the software but maybe it has to do with the latter 8130's that were produced and my device falls into this group. ??? The only feature that doesn't work for me is geotagging photos.
    09-06-09 01:51 PM
    Dbrits, not sure what if anything you are doing wrong but I know from reading everything here on CB that if you have vznav then it unlocks the phone's gps capabilities. Maybe do a search here and see what you come up with. There are so many threads on the gps issue with vzw, I'm certain you'll find something to help you out.

09-07-09 08:10 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD