First off I have to say I am soooo glad I found this site! There is a ton to learn that the manual does not teach, and I have learned a ton here.

Well here are only a few of the thousand questions I have, lol.

1. I only had my BB for a couple of days and noticed the battery drains pretty quickly. Of course I have been playing around a lot these past couple of days with it, so Im sure that leads to the battery drain. Is there a way to preserve battery life besides non-use lol. Does lowering the brightness save the battery just like in a laptop?

2. Should I erase any apps or programs that are bloatware on the 8130? I know when I first got my 1720 Dell laptop, I had to erase a lot of programs to free up some memory.

3. Can I have my email messages only show up on my email icon, and not on my message icon? I guess it would make life easier to have my emails and phone messages seperate.

I have a lot more questions, but will keep them to a minimum with trial and error. Thanks for any advice!!
    07-07-08 09:36 PM
    Welcome to cb!!

1. Be sure you properly close out apps when you are finished with them. IE menu>close. Don't just press the red button. Also a weak signal will drain your battery, as will leaving any gps program running.

2. Do a search for stoner's guide to memoury optimization in these forums.

3. You can separate them by going to you inbox>options>general options>sms and email inboxes>separated.

Welcome to cb!!!!

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    07-07-08 09:41 PM
    You can find a ton of useful info in the links in my signature

Stoner's Guide is in there as well...
    07-07-08 09:42 PM
    Bm, you little lifesaver. Always got stoner's guide handy...

07-07-08 09:44 PM
    Welcome to cb!!

3. You can separate them by going to you inbox>options>general options>sms and email inboxes>separated.

I have them separated, but they are still showing up in my messages?
    07-07-08 09:45 PM
    1) Screen brightness and timeout, Uses Standby mode, Close all apps by hitting Menu -Close, Top off the battery frequently.

2) http://forums.crackberry.com/f3/how-...-memory-34633/

3) No - but you can separate SMS/MMS from the Messages, (Messages> Menu> Options> General Options> SMS and Email Inboxes> select Separate) and also keep your call log out of your Mesages folder (Press the green phone button> Menu> Options> Call Logging> None.
    07-07-08 09:46 PM
    Welcome to CB.

1. You can exit out of apps when you are done with them that will save battery life, and yes lowering the backlight wil increase batterry life.

2. Follow the links above in BMcclure's post.

3. inbox>options>general options>sms and email inboxes>separated.
    07-07-08 09:47 PM
    There are lots of things to delete which will free up memory. There are some links above, but I find this one the easiest to navigate. I've tried the others and they get complicated and confusing! I recommend this one:

http://www.blackberryforums.com/gene...ee-memory.html

You will "overuse" the bb and contribute to the quick battery drain in the first few weeks. It will take a few charges to get the batter optimized as well. Do not completely discharge and recharge like you would with older batteries. Charge your BB as often and as much as you can!! BTW, I have the Seideo extended battery and find that it is wonderful! It seems to last about 50% longer than the standard battery!

I don't understand why it is standard for the phone call logs to show up in the messages folder - I belive everyone changes that right from the get go! It's very awkward...

bmcclure has some good links in his signature, I've got a few as well!! We both have the BlackBerry 101 Lecture Series - there is a reason for that... READ IT!!
    07-07-08 09:50 PM
    So is this a yes or no that you can separate emails and phone messages?

I tried to separate them like you guys said but they still show up.
    07-07-08 09:50 PM
    I have mine theme controlled. They are separate on my phone.

07-07-08 09:52 PM
    I have mine theme controlled. They are separate on my phone.

So instead of selecting separate, you select theme controlled?

Hope it works!

Thank you all.
    07-07-08 09:56 PM
    Yup! Give it a try.... Although I reeeeaaaally doubt you are using the same theme as me.

07-07-08 09:58 PM
    as mentioned in my earlier post - To keep the phone log out of the Messages folder, Press the green phone button> Menu> Options> Call Logging> None.
    07-07-08 09:59 PM
    as mentioned in my earlier post - To keep the phone log out of the Messages folder, Press the green phone button> Menu> Options> Call Logging> None.

I'd like to keep the phone log as I will need this for my business.

What I want is to have my emails out of the phone log.

I also tried the theme controlled and that did not work either
    07-07-08 10:01 PM
    Call log will still be available by going to Messages, Menu, View Folder, Phone Call Logs.

But with Call logging turned off, they will not appear in the Messages folder.
    07-07-08 10:03 PM
    Call log will still be available by going to Messages, Menu, View Folder, Phone Call Logs.

But with Call logging turned off, they will not appear in the Messages folder.

So then by doing this, there is no need to have 2 message folders than. I could just have my message folder on my 1st page.
    07-07-08 10:08 PM
    I only have a Messages folder and an SMS/MMS folder on my screen. All my individual Email folders are hidden, and the only thing going into the Messages folder is Email. And I access the call log as I explained before.
    07-07-08 10:11 PM
    Thank you a bunch!

Well here is part II of my questions -

1. My 8130 can preloaded w/ pics and a BB video thats 27 seconds long. I tried deleting all of them but it is not letting me. Is there a way around this?

2. Is there an easier (shortcut) way to close out apps besides menu and scrolling all the way down to hit close? It sounds kind of lazy I know.

3. I ruined my other phone because of water damage. This was caused by me placing my phone in my pocket for most of the day while I work outside sweating. Does anyone know the best way to keep moisture out of a phone? Right now I keep it in my holster, but I'm not sure that will do the trick.
    07-08-08 11:36 AM
    1. Go to Options>Advanced Options>Applications. You can delete the sample video from there.

2. Menu>7 will take you to the bottom of the meny where it says close.

3. I would recommend not keeping it in your pocket. Otherwise, you can go with BSE (Best Skin Ever) or an Otterbox.

Also, download MaxMem OTA at BlackBerryTrade.com to free up extra memoury.
    07-08-08 11:41 AM
    1. Go to Options>Advanced Options>Applications. You can delete the sample video from there.

And is there a way to get rid of the preloaded pics?
    07-08-08 01:11 PM
    And is there a way to get rid of the preloaded pics?
    Yes. And the easiest way, without having to use DM or anything, is to get the app MaxMem from BlackBerryTrade.com

It will allow you to delete VAD, preinstalled media, etc.
    07-08-08 01:25 PM
    Yes. And the easiest way, without having to use DM or anything, is to get the app MaxMem from BlackBerryTrade.com

It will allow you to delete VAD, preinstalled media, etc.

I just ran Maxmem and I still have the preloaded pictures on my phone.

I do not see the option for getting rid of these pics on here? There is an option for getting rid of media like wallpapers, music and video, but no pics?
    07-08-08 02:53 PM
    You have to select "Remove Media."

The preinstalled pics will go away. Trust me.
    07-08-08 02:57 PM

I trust you lol.

Here are the steps I am taking. I hit remove media, have you made a backup(yes), disclaimer(yes), delete:net_rim_bb_media_240x260_b2053568 bytes (yes). I then get the hourglass, and it shoots me to the main menu.

I then go to my media section, and presto pics are still there.
    07-08-08 03:02 PM

Man I feel like a newb. I. Just had to reset my phone.

Your a doll Jenay!
    07-08-08 05:17 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD