I bought two BB 8220 Pearl flips about a month ago and both have problems. The main complaint is that dialing a call using the keyboard is a very frustrating experience. The phones (both) will convert the numbers into letters and say it can't find a contact. There is no problem making a call from the contact list, but it may take 5 or 6 tries to call using the keypad. In fact if I have to make a call to a number that is not in my contact list it's faster to add the number to the list then make the call. I've spent hours on the phone with T-Mobile tech support and they could not correct the problem.

The second problem is that one of the phones gets very poor Wi Fi reception. I have a wireless router and if I place both phones side-by-side about 10 feet away one of them gets a very strong signal and the other a very weak signal. I can talk on the phone getting the strong signal from anywhere inside the house, but not the other one. Again T-Mobile has not been able to solve the problem.

The third complaint I have may be a bug or maybe it's just the nature of the phone, but there is a significant delay between pressing a key and the number or letter showing up on the screen. In most cases I can make 6 or 7 keystrokes before the first one shows on the display. When I do get in a hurry and make fast entries the phone never gets it right - it's always missing the first one or two characters.

After spending hours on the phone with Tech support and talking to about 6 different Techs T-Mobile is replacing both phones. I can only hope that the replacements work better than the originals.

Has anyone else had these problems?
    01-15-09 10:07 AM
    Well, the whole redialing thing is a bit of a misnomer. Yes, it shows letters, because it is trying to guess which contact you are dialing. However, if you just dial in the number, it should work find. All the "no contacts" means is that no contacts match the typed "letters," so you can't match what you've typed for easy access to a contact. It is still dialing the number, either way.

Are you sure that your router is made for mobile Wi Fi? Not all Wi Fi routers support hand held devices, and the signal is a tad different from the signal of a wireless card for a laptop or desktop. It's a slight variation, but it is enough to make the signal difficult for an older router. Basically, how new are your routers and are they mobile Wi Fi compatible?

On your last issue, it's a bug of some sort. Maybe it's your OS version, maybe it's an app, but it is not "the nature of the phone." My 8220 is very responsive and there might be a half a second delay in typing now in then, but it keeps up with me just fine, and I can type rather quickly.

I hope that helps.
    01-15-09 12:47 PM
    Maybe I was not very clear about the dialing problem. Here's an example: If I try to call T-Moble by dialing 611 from the main screen or contact list the phone converts the 611 to JER. Now there are several entries in my contract list that start with JER, but I not trying to call Jerry I'm trying to call 611. It does that with every number I try to dial and either it will try to call the wrong number or says it can't find a contact and will not call at all.

As for the router it is a new Linksys WRT160N so it is putting out the correct signal. As I said one phone picks up a strong signal the other only gets half the signal or less. I can hold one phone in each hand and face the router from about 10 feet away and one phone will have a signal strength of -42 dBa the other has -86 dBa. I don't believe it's just a bad meter reading because one phone has a good connection just outside my front door (maybe -60) and the other has no connection at all. So there is definitely something wrong with one of them.
    01-15-09 04:14 PM
    hon it sounds like you have a janky phone. send it back for a replacement. are you still in your 30 days?
    01-15-09 09:34 PM
    Here's an update: T-Mobile replaced both phones even though I bought them from Wal-Mart. They said shipping would take three to five days, but they got here overnight.

The original phones were definitely defective because the new ones are completely different. No more converting numbers to letters I get a good strong WiFi signal on both, and the lag time between making a keystroke and it appearing on the display is still there but it's lot less than before.

I'm even seeing some icons on the screen that weren't there before. From reading the (pitiful) instruction manual that came with the phone I thought I should be seeing more icons, but I just chalked it up to inexperience.

I guess my overall impression is that RIM can make good phones, but they need to work on their quality control. I'm very pleased with the T-Mobile customer service response. It took a lot calls and a lot of time on the phone with them, but they came though in the end.
    01-16-09 02:08 PM
    Well, they were from Wal-Mart after all. I understand that's where some people go, but I barely trust them as I've heard a lot of horror story. Congrats on the replacements!
    01-16-09 03:42 PM
    For the one flip phone with the Wifi issue...go into your manage connections menu and make sure that Wi Fi Connection is check marked and on. You can also verify your wifi options on this menu.

Secondly, you may need to go into the settings menu, and select set up wifi.
    Just a thought!

For the typing, go under settings then option (the wrench icon) then go to screen/keyboard. Make sure the key rate is on normal or fast. I prefer fast because I can type fast on the qwerty keypad...make sure yours is not set to Slow...that could be the reason for the delay.

For the phonebook number/name issue...if you are in the phonebook your phone will pull the contacts by their stored name, not phone number. When you are not in the phonebook, you can type as regular.

I hope this helps. Please let me know. Thanks!
    01-19-09 01:07 PM
    Here's an update: T-Mobile replaced both phones even though I bought them from Wal-Mart. They said shipping would take three to five days, but they got here overnight.

The original phones were definitely defective because the new ones are completely different. No more converting numbers to letters I get a good strong WiFi signal on both, and the lag time between making a keystroke and it appearing on the display is still there but it's lot less than before.

I'm even seeing some icons on the screen that weren't there before. From reading the (pitiful) instruction manual that came with the phone I thought I should be seeing more icons, but I just chalked it up to inexperience.

I guess my overall impression is that RIM can make good phones, but they need to work on their quality control. I'm very pleased with the T-Mobile customer service response. It took a lot calls and a lot of time on the phone with them, but they came though in the end.
    I've been with TMo since the Voicestream days. Have always been impressed with the CS.

Glad they took care of you. Not sure there is a relationship, but I have had a FEW interesting experiences purchasing stuff at Walmart that costs more than $10.

Not sure there is a trend, but folks at work have experienced the same thing with electronics in general from Walmart. Bought item "x" at Walmart... it was squirrly, returned... bought SAME item from specialty retailer... NO ISSUES.

Iiiiiii dunnnnooooo.
    01-20-09 07:31 AM
    for the phone book issue....
    if you press the send button first, the flip searches for contacts.

If you just dial the number from your home screen without pressing send, it will dial the number.
    01-20-09 11:13 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD