To start, I'm no noob to blackberries, I was actually the BB technician at a VZW store so for the most part I know what I'm doing. I am stumped on a new problem though. I recently updated my 8100 pearl to the newest software, 4.5.0.110 and I have loved it. I especially fell in love with the new mp3 player format in how you can search for a song, or you can back out of the mp3 player and still have music playing, etc etc. It worked great for a month or so. I recently plugged my micro SD card in one day though, and my phone started acting weird. When I go to my media player, the phone says scanning on the bottom like it is reading the memory card. Nothing happens. It's a 2 gig card so it can't have that much to read and it's been like this for weeks.

Now I know it's not the card because I took the card out and slid it into a pearl I am not using, it worked just fine.

Today while playing around with it, my phone still says scanning at the bottom, but if I hit my options key over the music player and hit explore i can select device memory or memory card, I select the card then select home, I can then select pics, movies, music, etc. but when I do i get the old format like each individual file. No playlists, no pics next to the music file, pictures are not in a thumbnail view. It's just really odd and extremely annoying as I use my MP3 player a lot and have grown accustomed to the new abilities of the newer version.

Any ideas?
    04-22-09 12:55 PM
    bump bump bump

Any ideas?
    04-23-09 02:49 PM
    To start, I'm no noob to blackberries, I was actually the BB technician at a VZW store so for the most part I know what I'm doing. I am stumped on a new problem though. I recently updated my 8100 pearl to the newest software, 4.5.0.110 and I have loved it. I especially fell in love with the new mp3 player format in how you can search for a song, or you can back out of the mp3 player and still have music playing, etc etc. It worked great for a month or so. I recently plugged my micro SD card in one day though, and my phone started acting weird. When I go to my media player, the phone says scanning on the bottom like it is reading the memory card. Nothing happens. It's a 2 gig card so it can't have that much to read and it's been like this for weeks.

Now I know it's not the card because I took the card out and slid it into a pearl I am not using, it worked just fine.

Today while playing around with it, my phone still says scanning at the bottom, but if I hit my options key over the music player and hit explore i can select device memory or memory card, I select the card then select home, I can then select pics, movies, music, etc. but when I do i get the old format like each individual file. No playlists, no pics next to the music file, pictures are not in a thumbnail view. It's just really odd and extremely annoying as I use my MP3 player a lot and have grown accustomed to the new abilities of the newer version.

Any ideas?
    Sounds to me like you might not have the music stored in the right default folder. Plug the phone into a computer and find the music you want cut and paste it to the hard drive of the pc so you don't lose it. Then copy it off the PC hard drive and (from the PC) open blackberry on the media card the post it in music. See if that helps.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    04-23-09 06:30 PM
    Along with that, set up sub-folders. Then use explore to get to the folder you want, press menu again, and select thumbnail view. Then it only needs to load a limited # of thumbnails, which will go much quicker. I never use the icons to access any media anymore. The scan is just too slow to deal with.
    04-23-09 07:52 PM
    Sounds to me like you might not have the music stored in the right default folder. Plug the phone into a computer and find the music you want cut and paste it to the hard drive of the pc so you don't lose it. Then copy it off the PC hard drive and (from the PC) open blackberry on the media card the post it in music. See if that helps.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    alas, brilliant idea. I had not thought of that since one day it was working, and after doing a battery pull it suddenly no longer worked. I tried, but to no avail.
    04-25-09 01:19 PM
    Along with that, set up sub-folders. Then use explore to get to the folder you want, press menu again, and select thumbnail view. Then it only needs to load a limited # of thumbnails, which will go much quicker. I never use the icons to access any media anymore. The scan is just too slow to deal with.
    unfortunately the scan is not the problem, as long as it scans once in the morning, they should remain in there. Nor can i access the files in the proper manner to put them into a subfolder.

I finally recieved my laptop cord, so today I will be sticking my memory card into the comp, putting everything into a folder, formatting the card, and then putting it back into the bb to download the files back using DM. I'll report back with results. Thanks for all the help gentlemen.
    04-25-09 01:22 PM
    Yes, pulling it all off and reformatting would be what I would do. You will probably have at least one file with the dreaded, added rem extension. Ditch it and you should be much better.
    04-25-09 01:37 PM
    ok, i slid the memory card into my comp, no abnormal files on it. I just reformatted it and put it back into my bb. I'm hoping this will work though I am afraid it's my bb not the card because when I slid my card into my other pearl it worked just fine, and in my mom's pearl.
    04-25-09 03:36 PM
    ok, so it STILL won't read properly. Now I'm just lost about where to go and my bb is making me go
    04-25-09 11:39 PM
    I'm in almost the same dang boat with my pearl. I have done everything including wiping my phone, formatting to fat32, checking the file format, etc. It reads the card but won't read the files on the card (I can see them in my computer, but not on my phone). Card works just fine in my husband's curve, but not on my pearl. What else can I do? I upgraded the software too... URGH
    06-19-09 10:25 AM
    I'm in almost the same dang boat with my pearl. I have done everything including wiping my phone, formatting to fat32, checking the file format, etc. It reads the card but won't read the files on the card (I can see them in my computer, but not on my phone). Card works just fine in my husband's curve, but not on my pearl. What else can I do? I upgraded the software too... URGH

Open the media section > menu button > explore.
    06-19-09 10:39 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD