First of all, hi. This is my first post here, though I've been addicted to this site for a while and have been checking up frequently. Onto business though.

Very soon my contract will be expiring with Verizon and the Pearl is very near (if not at) the top of my list for my next phone. However, I do have a few questions.

First, I am a student (will be in college next year) and I'd like to know how practical a phone like this would be. Would a Blackberry be ideal for campus? There are many other phones I'd like to get, but the providers are not in our area, so it's a no-go.

Next, SureType. I've been messing around with it in the Verizon store and it looks pretty neat, but I have a few gripes with it. First, it seems to pull up the words I need, however they always seem to be the third one on the list or so, and these are commonly used words. Does the Blackberry "adjust" and learn which words you use more frequently on a specific keystroke?

Further on SureType, I've noticed that typing in URLs is a pain. Trying to type in "facebook.com" forced me to do "face.book.com", then go back and delete the period, because otherwise I'd get "dave[other keystrokes here].com". It was a huge hassle. Is it just necessary to use Bookmarks frequently or is there an easier way?

The UI, especially in places like Messages and Blackberry Messenger looked quite spartan, something I wouldn't have expected. Is it supposed to look like this (with frequent use of the button left of the scroll)?

I'm mostly a text messaging person (and email) with phone calls not as important - I only make them when necessary. Is this phone a good messaging phone? I'm currently on a non-smartphone (RAZR). I really like the Pearl's size factor, which draws me away from other Blackberrys and such which look too large for my pocket.

I am sort of deciding between the Pearl and the Voyager. However, I have found the Voyager's touch screen to be mediocre at best. I would need to have the thing flipped open nearly all the time to get value out of it, which draws me to the Pearl which doesn't need to be flipped out and it smaller.

I know it's a lot of questions, but from what it looks like since I've been visiting, you guys are a helpful bunch and I know somebody must have some answers. Thanks!
    01-20-08 06:46 PM
    Anyone? A lot of views, but no answers.

(Sorry for double post)
    01-20-08 09:15 PM
    The 8130 pearl with verizon is my second BB in 3 years...

my experience is the suretype does learn which words you use and does suggest those at the top with the frequency that you use them. So... if you have repeat certain phrases then thumbing messages becomes quick and easy.

I agree that sometimes the url typing is a major pain. Sometimes when I move the trackball it will "lock in" the word(s) that I have typed, but sometimes it tries to go ahead and look up the web address. Needless to say my bookmark list is long.

If you get the unlimited text or data plan, then I think you will love the pearl. It does have excellent phone skills too however.

I used a windows based phone and pda for years and have to say the BB os hands down is the more reliable system.

I take pictures, watch a transfered movie on my msd card, look up scores on espn.com and shoot off an email with ease with no locking up and no fuss.

Hope that answers some of your questions...
    chuck
    01-20-08 10:28 PM
    when entering urls you could switch to multitap... then it wouldn't be making suggestions and/or altering what you've typed. The blackberry OS menus can look a little sparse compared to some other phones OS's, it did to me. But after using it a bit, I don't mind it because it's functional, and easy to use. Good looks get old, functionality makes or breaks it.
    01-20-08 11:06 PM
    I've been a bb user for about 5 years. I tried so many other phones it's ridiculous. Went to a q...a treo...razorsss...helio ocean... and finally made the switch back to the vzw pearl..i believe that in about a couple of days you will get used to typing with the sure type. i think its great...don't get me wrong..qwerty is easy...but texting with 1 thumb while driving on suretype is a snap...overall i love the functions...camera is great...to take those quick snapshots...good luck on your search my friend...once you go black...you never go back...haha
    01-21-08 02:02 PM
    Thanks for all the help, everyone.

The only thing I have left to ask is...
    Will I benefit having a BB during time at college? That seems like a hard question to answer, but any thoughts? Anyone with experience on this?

Again, thanks for the help. This has really teetered the Pearl ahead (okay, so it was ahead in the first place, but I had my doubts). Cheers
    01-21-08 03:54 PM
    I just got done with grad school and I wish I would of swiched from my treo to my current 8130 sooner! I will tell ya that I could not have done it (grad school) without it. BB made my life easier and more organised. I would say its a must for a college student, if funds permit. Hope that helps.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    01-21-08 04:29 PM
    I just got done with grad school and I wish I would of swiched from my treo to my current 8130 sooner! I will tell ya that I could not have done it (grad school) without it. BB made my life easier and more organised. I would say its a must for a college student, if funds permit. Hope that helps.

01-21-08 04:30 PM
    I adore my Pearl. I think being in college and being able to recieve, read, and reply to emails in an instant would be a major plus. I know when I was in college, a lot of communication between students and professors was via email. It'd be nice to recieve a message telling you that a class is cancelled than walking all the way across campus and seeing a sign on the door.

Plus, the BB has a great calendar. It'll most likely help with keeping track of due dates, tests, etc etc. I find that BB's are great for forgetful people like me.

As for the SureType, I was skeptical at first, but within a week, I was flying through texts and emails. It can be moody at times, but it's pretty easy to get the hang of!
    01-21-08 05:24 PM
    Wish I had mine in college! The trick to suretype is to focus on typing and not the screen. You will be amazed at how accurate it will get. It will learn your vocab. You will type faster, especially when it predicts longer words and you can select them after a few letters. Double tap space to put a period and space after a sentence. Very handy!

The pearl is great and can do so much - as I am sure you have learned here. Verizon is unlimited data so have fun! Good luck and let us know how it's going.

01-21-08 06:25 PM
    Well that seems to sum up all of my questions (although if anyone has anything to add, it would be greatly appreciated).
    Thanks everyone!
    I'll definitely be getting a Pearl when I can...just have to wait for my stupid contract to expire... *grumble*
    Last edited by xandrex; 01-21-08 at 06:29 PM. Reason: Added in text
    01-21-08 06:28 PM
    In addition to all the other posts...

...I use my pearl in class to take notes and then I email them to myself to make study guides. I also use it to google things that the professor talks during lecture. Over all, I have been a cellular sales person since 1999, this is the first phone I have truely fallen in love with.

Good luck with your purchase, feel free to pin me if you need any other help once you get it.
    01-21-08 06:53 PM
    dude.....its only a phone. Your mind f**king this way to much! Did you forget 30day return policys? Any way , i have one i just bought and love it.
    01-21-08 07:06 PM
    dude.....its only a phone. Your mind f**king this way to much! Did you forget 30day return policys? Any way , i have one i just bought and love it.
    Better to ask questions ahead of time...that way I don't have to worry with silly 30-day return policies.
    01-21-08 07:49 PM
    Duuude - you're on a FORUM... isn't asking questions and getting answers what a forum is for? If you don't like the questions or the person asking the questions, MOVE ON!!

Anyhow, to answer the questions at hand... I think you will like SureType, I am a very fast typist on a regular computer/laptop keyboard so I expected to hate SureType. I couldn't have been more wrong. I adapted in a matter of hours. There is a custom word list that you can modify to meet your personal language needs. For example, I have my BB set to change "sb" to "Starbucks" automatically. (I have more than one addiction, you see...) If you are using a great deal of texting lingo (DIAF, BRB...) ect then you will experience a bit more difficulty at first, but it will adapt.

I can't speak to the usefulness of a blackberry in school, but it sounds as if others have covered that for you!! I can imagine the calendar function would be great! I use mine for business and to keep a big busy family orgainzed (okay, and for fun!!) but not for school at all.

I hope you've found the answers that you needed here. I have had a number of phones, a treo and am currently using a 7130e. I ordered a new 8130 Pearl this weekend. It should be here Wednesday and I CAN NOT WAIT!!!!!!!

Welcome to the addiction... (Bwahahahaha!!!!)
    01-21-08 09:25 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD