Ladies and gents,

I am new to the forum, and have searched a fair bit for any information on this, but no luck, so hoping someone here has sage words of advice.

The issue is simple... one of my mp3 files stored on a media card has been replaced with an advertisement for a web site. Trying to move or delete the file using Explore on the device produces a "File System error".

Mass Storage Mode is on.

The device is a few days old, and has no applications loaded other than the standard ones. I migrated from a Pearl 8100. I can't guarantee that the file in question was not compromised on the 8100, but I am 95% sure that it happened on the new 8120.

I have made a few attempts to stream video, from m.youtube.com, for example, and have installed Rove Mobile's viewer, in order to set up traininng for other BB users. Other than that, it has been used for normal business purposes only.

I have been trying the UMA capability, so have connected to several access points.

The concern is not so much getting rid of the file or fixing the File System Error, but working out how this happened. I am responsible for dozens of BB users and would be a little embarrassed if I was the first to introduce malware into our network!

I have scanned the only PC which I connect to for all types of malware and came up clean. I realise this could be a PC problem which affected the BB only because it was seen as a removable drive once connected via USB.

Thanks for any advice,

Jim M.
    05-14-08 09:08 AM
    Trojan malware takes a bite out of BlackBerry - Network World

Security researcher Jesse D'Aguanno has developed what he bills as the first Trojan horse malware for Research in Motion's (RIM's) BlackBerry e-mail device.

The software, which was demonstrated at the Defcon hacker conference over the weekend, appears to be a free tic-tac-toe download. Once downloaded, however, it works with another piece of code, called BBProxy, that can be used to attack vulnerable machines within the corporate network.

This article was published two years ago, it is possible that more sophisticated malware attacks will occure.

If I understand correctly, what was once an MP3 file, music I presume, has been replaced with an audio commercial or a Browser link.

Interesting that BB Explore can not delete it, have you inspected the properties when it is connected as a remote drive to a PC? That may give you some clues about why it does not delete. Hopefully, you can also delete it from Windows and get it off the device.

The above artical goes to pains to point out, IT Policy should be activated to prohibit installing unapproved software.
    05-24-08 06:46 PM
    Strangely, I was eventually able to delete it using Explorer on the BB. I had connected it to my laptop in the meantime. Not sure how that could have rectified file system errors though.

Thanks for the reply. Point taken about installing software.

Jim M.
    06-12-08 11:39 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD