Hi all,

I just upgraded my phone to an 8220 a week ago, since my previous phone is totally dead.

Now I've been getting this infamous "call failed" error with occasionally an error code "MM#4", It doesn't happen a lot, but 2 or 3 times in a week don't sound good to me. Plus there could be some times that I was not aware of, cuz I don't make phone calls very frequently every day.

So I tried to dig it up on the internet and only to find that it seems to be a common problem without an actual solution.

Before I decide to return it for an exchange, I'd like to do some standard troubleshooting. When the error occurs, the only way to resolve it for me is to turn off the phone and then turn it back on.

So I called my carrier's BB tech support. They immediately told me it was my SIM card, the tech support guy sounded so sure.

Well indeed, I've been using this very same SIM card for six years now, but it never caused any problems before while sitting in my Sony Ericsson K790i or any other phones. The tech support guy's explanation is "smartphones require more advanced SIM cards"... what in god's name is that supposed to mean?

Honestly I don't quite trust their techies on this. So I need you guys' opinions. Any input is appreciated.
    Last edited by x0pht; 11-21-09 at 03:27 PM.
    11-21-09 03:25 PM
    Get a new SIM card from your carrier.

I've had my 8220 for a year. A month ago I started getting "SIM Card Error" and "Invalid SIM Card", and the occasional "call failed". Went into Options->Advanced Options->SIM Card, and it said "No Valid SIM Card Detected". I walked into a local T-Mobile shop and told them the symptoms, and walked out 15 minutes later with a new SIM card in my phone.

The 8220 SIM card slot has issues. I've had to reseat the SIM card occasionally, and when the above stuff started happening I did the "slide a paper card behind the SIM" trick. After a while, the card slot leaves "teeth marks" on the SIM card. I haven't had any problems at all with the new SIM.
    11-23-09 05:29 PM
    Get a new SIM card from your carrier.

I've had my 8220 for a year. A month ago I started getting "SIM Card Error" and "Invalid SIM Card", and the occasional "call failed". Went into Options->Advanced Options->SIM Card, and it said "No Valid SIM Card Detected". I walked into a local T-Mobile shop and told them the symptoms, and walked out 15 minutes later with a new SIM card in my phone.

The 8220 SIM card slot has issues. I've had to reseat the SIM card occasionally, and when the above stuff started happening I did the "slide a paper card behind the SIM" trick. After a while, the card slot leaves "teeth marks" on the SIM card. I haven't had any problems at all with the new SIM.
    Good to know...thanks for the tip huber!
    11-23-09 06:52 PM
    thanks for the reply.

though I haven't got any "invalid SIM card" error, i'll change it to a new piece some time this week anyway and see how it goes.
    11-25-09 02:05 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD