Hi, we have an 8100 pearl which we need to clear. There are about 200 photos on the device memory which I can manually move to the media card and then plug in the bb to read as a mass storage device on my iMac O10.4.11. However, it's taking forever, is there anyway to highlight say 30 at a time and let it get on with it? Or change the path somehow?

Also, I need to clear the contacts off it, 358 in all! I cannot get pocket manager to sync, keeps saying it's skipping, so I figured I could copy most of the contacts onto the sim, then switch over to Windows in Parallels and use a sim card reader. However, again, I can only copy one contact at a time over to the card and it's driving me nuts! I don't want to pay $39.95 for missing sync when we've got to give the phone back - possibly tomorrow!

I've read a lot of posts, I've tried most of the methods suggested. I've even tried the software to make the bb a bluetooth modem (in case I could do something clever with it - but not). Nothing works (though as an aside I'm worried I may have the wrong lead as I've never had it - it's my husbands phone and he has no idea what he did with it - so i'm just doing him a favour. It is usb to firewire isn't it? It looks like it and that's what I'm using - so i hope so!).

In short - if anyone can tell me how to highlight rows I'd be over the moon. Or try anything else - I'd appreciate any help!

Sianx
    Last edited by Sian; 04-24-08 at 05:16 AM.
    04-24-08 05:06 AM
    If you are returning the phone, do you want to return it in factory condition? If so, set a password, enter it incorrectly 10 times, and the bb will reset to factory defaults. No pictures, no contacts, no password.
    04-24-08 06:12 AM
    I just ripped this from a naviwilliams post about 4 posts down in this forum.

Safer still, wipe the device!!!

Options / Security Options / General Options / Menu (key)/ Wipe device...
    04-24-08 07:38 AM
    Thanks so much for useful info on clearing data - but I have to capture data first! I really appreciate the response but still..

I need to move 200 photos from the device memory to the media card and I can't do it quickly, only one by one. Can I highlight a column somehow?

Same with contacts.. can only move to Sim memory one by one, unless there is someway of CTRL A'ing it.

I don't want to pay $39.95 for missing sync when we've got to give the phone back - possibly tomorrow! PocketMac doesn't work. Has skipping error.

Do I really have to do it all one by one? Which is a nightmare as trackball has tiny piece of sand in it and downscrolling is a mare. I'm about to give up and will never buy one of these things voluntarily!

Please tell me there is a way? I can use as a mass storage device but default memory saved all to device memory and I have to find a way to change the path/or mass highlight and move.

Tell me it's possible, please? I've wasted at least 6 hours trying so far.

Cheers.

Sian, London
    04-24-08 02:56 PM
    I don't have your phone, so I can't be sure, but on the 8830 you can enable Mass Storage and the BB will show up in My Computer as another drive. You can drag and drop the pictures to the media card all at once. I don't think that will work for the contacts. And I assume you don't have BES, or you wouldn't be asking the question.
    04-24-08 03:01 PM
    yes, what's BES? And no, sadly, I can't get anything other than the media card on display. I'm so gutted. But I admire your helpfullness.
    04-24-08 03:36 PM
    BES is the corporate sync solution. If you were syncing to Outlook, then your contacts would be there and you would not be trying copy them to a SIM. So I assumed you didn't have BES.

On your BB, what are your settings under Options/Media Card? You should have Media Card Support: On;
    Mass Storage Mode Support: On; and
    Auto Enable Mass Storage Mode When Connected: either On or Prompt.

If you have these settings, when you plug your bb into the USB cable, you should be asked if you want to use Mass Storage Mode. If you say yes, you *should* see your bb and its media card as a drive in My Computer.
    04-24-08 03:43 PM
    Jeff, re-reading Sian's post it looks to me as if she can see the media card on her PC but I have the feeling that there maybe media or other data in the device memory. If so we need to help her get that off too.
    04-24-08 04:12 PM
    Jeff, re-reading Sian's post it looks to me as if she can see the media card on her PC but I have the feeling that there maybe media or other data in the device memory. If so we need to help her get that off too.
    I thought I had used explorer to copy files from device memory to my media card, but now that I'm trying it, I can't. So either I've forgotten how, or I just imagined I could. Or maybe I used the Roxio application.

So, Sian, how did you get all those pix in your device memory? If you copied them using Roxio, can you reverse the process? Or maybe that's what you're trying to do, and can only do it one picture at a time. I don't use Roxio, and never had that many pictures in my device memory. I'm sorry, but I'm about out of ideas. Maybe Pete can help...
    04-24-08 04:30 PM
    Thanks, I can work in Windows via Parallels so might try that. (in reply to earlier post... and i continue)

Yes, I can see media card as mass storage device I just can't move my images to it easily from 'device memory'. Just one by one from device memory to media card. I want to know how to move many. That's the 8100 I suppose. Appreciate your effor though. thanks

++++ The photos were saved to device memory by default - guess that's the work IT dept's fault?... I just cannot.. with a cracked track ball, do it one by one.

++++ Same with the contacts. It's only one by one to transfer to sim (where I can then use a device manager in windows [again using parallels] to read the sim and transfer contacts.. unless I can highlight all and transfer. But I'll look into BES first thing in the morning. thanks.

BTB - I cannot believe you can't highlight columns of data... I refuse to believe it. It's such a basic mistake. Every phone has a 'mark all' option on bluetooth.. I thought.

Thanks v much Pete6 for believing in me.

x
    Last edited by Sian; 04-24-08 at 06:42 PM.
    04-24-08 06:36 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD