Hi all,

Well, my trackball is not working. It will select something by pushing it down but it will not roll. It won't roll up, down, or sideways. Nothing happened to the phone, it was fine and then all of a sudden, the trackball stopped rolling. It isn't stuck, it will roll around in it's area, but there is no "clicking" sound or movement. Any ideas??? I am desperate.

Thanks!
    01-17-08 01:54 PM
    it may be dirty...try compressed air...

do you keep it in your pocket all the time?

-db
    01-17-08 02:04 PM
    Turn your BB face-down over your palm and roll the ball around vigorously in all directions. Try blasting it with a bit of canned air. Also try pulling your battery.
    01-17-08 02:11 PM
    Okay, I pulled the battery and rolled the ball upside down. Now the rolling will work very faintly and the "select" with the trackball will not work. Before I did that the "select" worked and the rolling didn't. what's going on........I'm going to have a stroke over this. I love my phone. uggggg!!!!
    01-17-08 02:14 PM
    Get the canned air. Something is most likely gunking up your trackball. How does it feel when you roll it?

Do you keep it in your pocket? Don't. Get a holster or at least the leather pocket sleeve to protect that ball!
    01-17-08 02:22 PM
    I don't keep it in my pocket and the phone is fairly new. I took out the trackball and it's totally clean.

I'm going to put it back in now and see what happens.
    01-17-08 02:23 PM
    i take no responsibility for damage to your berry!!

but the ring around the trackball pops right off witha fingernail...

take it out very carefully and see it there is lint stuck in the roller contgacts...

be sure to note which way it comes out so you can insert it the same way...

I do this as necessary and it lets you get whatevers under there out..

-db

but you do so at your own risk...

try compressed air if you are skeered
    01-17-08 02:23 PM
    Ok, I took the trackball out and cleaned it. It came out very easy and was very easy to put back in too! Surprising but I'm so glad! lol!

Now, I have "select" capabilities and roll DOWN. No roll up or sideways yet. Do you think it will come back? My hubby informs me that this happens to his trackball sometimes if he touches his trackball with wet hands (I don't know why someone would do that but whatever) and he says sometimes it takes hours for it to come back fully. I hope that will be the case here. It seems like it's returning to full power but I guess only time will tell.

This was so weird. Maybe it was just that there was dirt or something?
    01-17-08 02:54 PM
    my ball wouldnt work at all.
    like it would roll and such but when i went to select something nothing happened.
    i was so sad i am in love with my phone!
    ha
    but i did the thing with taking the ring off and all that and the little piece behind the ball was bent and it was a bit dirty so i fixed that.
    i dont know which one was the problem but it is fixed!
    i am soo happy cause i did not want to have to get a new one.
    thanks to the person who posted that!!
    08-09-08 08:10 PM
    i take no responsibility for damage to your berry!!

but the ring around the trackball pops right off witha fingernail...

take it out very carefully and see it there is lint stuck in the roller contgacts...

be sure to note which way it comes out so you can insert it the same way...

I do this as necessary and it lets you get whatevers under there out..

-db

but you do so at your own risk...

try compressed air if you are skeered
    Thanks, that worked! I wasn't skeered!
    08-06-09 10:40 AM
    Ok, so my fiance just gotten this blackberry bold 9000 from my cousin. She hasn't used it in a year because she had gotten an iPhone. It has been in her drawer for a while. So she decided to give it to me because my fiance needed a new phone. Well to get to my question, basically I am going through the same problem as you are. The trackball on the bold wont work right, at first it only went side to side. Now since i cleaned it it goes side to side and down. Well today i took it apart to clean behind the trackball and put every part of the phone back together. But the ball still doesnt move up and it can press down but it doesnt make the clicking sound anymore. What should I do?? Everything else workes on the phone but the trackball still doesnt move up, even after cleaning it soooo many times and letting dry. What should I do, he really needs this phone, we dont have the money to buy a new one and there is no more insurance nor warrenty for his line & phone. Any ideas or help? Thank you in advance.
    07-26-11 12:44 AM
    Hi bellaMZ Bubblez, It appears that the trackball assembly itself has gone bad on the phone, get a suitable replacement from Ebay, and change the same as shown in the video. This should fix it.
    07-26-11 12:59 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD