I have the T-Mobile 8120 with, talk forever bla blah blah...

The literature says it will pick the best signal for the call. Yet in my room I have a router with security enabled and a 10 Mbyte connection. This connection is 5 bars. 3 fours away from me is a public router that is between 1 bars and zero bars in addition to these two choices I have edge @ 1 to zerp bars.

So what does my phone use to make calls?

Public wifi.

To use mine I have to go into setup wifi search for connections And them select mine.

I called T-Mobile and they had me hard reset my WAP the only result was resetting ALL my devices that connect to it since I lost my security settings in the process.

In a similar situation I was in a building with zero bars and a very powerful public network and the phone kept going with EDGE.

I tried calling 611 to find out why and my calls all got drooped.
    05-31-08 09:59 PM
    UPDATE: I wrote this last night using my blackberry (what a pain in the but) anyways, to make it more clear I decided to photograph what I am talking about.

What you can not see is that even though I am using
    "publicwifi" my UMA signal is at 1 bar (sometimes SOS) my EDGE bar is also between one bar and SOS. So I can't figure out when I have a perfectly good source with 4 BARS, why my phone makes me "manually connect" every time.

[update 5:41 PM EST]
    Still no response I don't know if it is because I didn't give enough information and people don't understand the problem OR there is no solution.

I decided to run a few tests and when I switch manually from PUBWIFI to my personal WIFI (which losts it name when T-mobile asked me to do a hard reset) and then I was in a mad dash to reset the WEP on my my devices I didn't bother with a name. Anyways, when connecting it takes about 7 seconds to go from EDGE to UMA. This seems faster than when connected to the weaker signal (and that makes sense).

Now the public wifi is a strong signal when I first reach it (on the first floor of a 12 story building, but on the 9th floor it is fairly week and on the 10th it is undetectable). I believe their is a hot spot on the 5th floor.

So I understand why it picked PUBLIC first but I am not understanding why it will not drop it and pick up the better signal like it is supposed to do.
    Last edited by jckatz; 06-01-08 at 04:45 PM.
    06-01-08 01:03 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD