Hi. I'm almost sure the answer is no, but...
    I heard that RIM said you can get a pearl without having to buy a data plan. Is this true?
    12-21-09 10:49 PM
    This is carrier dependent. Most, if not all, cell phone carriers require you to get a data plan when purchasing a BlackBerry or any other smartphone.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    12-22-09 01:47 AM
    If you use an unlocked 8100 or an unbranded 8100 on AT&T, you won't be IMMEDIATELY required to have the BIS feature, but that may not last forever. Unlocked, as in, was from another carrier. Any AT&T branded BlackBerry phones will trigger the requirement... when officially added via Customer Care or your MyWireless account... Wink wink, nudge nudge, say no more.

Which is why using SIM cards is better than using ESNs. You don't need to ask AT&T's permission to switch phones.
    12-22-09 05:00 PM
    I have t-mobile and I didn't have to buy a data plan, but the blackberry has wifi so that may have something to do with it.
    12-25-09 09:57 PM
    Hey people Im new here just wanting to know why or how would i get my BB Pearl to connect to my pc......charges just fine just will not be "found" by my pc ?
    12-27-09 04:07 AM
    i tried to connect my pearl to the wifi but when I go to options there is nothing for me to choose. do i need a specific download first?
    12-28-09 03:00 PM
    I honestly don't see the point in getting a bb without a data plan. Just get a regular phone if you're not gonna make use of the device.

12-28-09 03:14 PM
    i tried to connect my pearl to the wifi but when I go to options there is nothing for me to choose. do i need a specific download first?
    If your Pearl is a 8100, that is not WI-FI capable.
    12-28-09 03:59 PM
    Hey people Im new here just wanting to know why or how would i get my BB Pearl to connect to my pc......charges just fine just will not be "found" by my pc ?
    Your Pearl should have a USB data cable to connect to your PC. But the data
    cable is only to back up your phone's data, or transfer picture/music files to
    your Pearl from your PC.

You can not get internet on your Pearl using the data cable.
    12-28-09 04:22 PM
    is there a download available so that i can make it wifi capable?
    12-29-09 09:57 PM
    My GF has the Pearl with Bell, she has BBM, Email and Txt but no data plan, there's absolutely no browser on her phone.
    12-31-09 06:26 PM
    is there a download available so that i can make it wifi capable?
    That's hardware that's missing, not software.
    12-31-09 06:28 PM
    The Pearl 8100 was "not" built with wi-fi support and there will be no such software that can make it wi-fi capable. The browser is missing because you have no data plan and will only show up if you actually have one.
    01-01-10 02:35 AM
    I have t-mobile and I didn't have to buy a data plan, but the blackberry has wifi so that may have something to do with it.
    Until more recently, one could purchase BlackBerrys without a data plan. Not so anymore. Data plan vs wifi are completely different. The point of a data plan is to connect to the bis server.

01-01-10 01:07 PM
    You will either have to buy a used one from somebody, or usually you have to pay the full price for the phone (usually around 400 dollars!!!!).
    I have a pearl and I do not have data. I just love it for the SMS. I like how it can store ALL of your messages, and not 100 like most other phones.
    Although, i do see the "what's the point of having a BB without the data plan."
    but I just don't have the money for that, and have a laptop i use instead!!!
    01-01-10 01:54 PM
    I got my Blackberry pearl last week and no data is required, I have been able to use my wifi. Not to familiar with all the features yet but so far so good.
    T-mobile customer
    01-07-10 09:43 PM
    I just bought two 8120s last week from T-mobile. The guy in the store indicated they had just changed as of the 1st of the year so that you did not have to have a data plan.

We bought ours for the wi fi capability, which has dramatically improved our receiption in the home.

However, the guy in the store said I would be able to get internet via wifi, and I haven't got that working yet. Maybe he was wrong about that.

I got my Blackberry pearl last week and no data is required, I have been able to use my wifi. Not to familiar with all the features yet but so far so good.
    T-mobile customer
    01-08-10 05:20 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD