I have been patiently waiting for the Pearl Flip to be released on Alltel (May 15th is "supposed" to be the date available), however in the meantime I am trying to make sure the Flip is actually the phone I want. Are there any major operating differences betweent the flip and the regular pearl 8130? Is the OS faster on the 8130 for instance? Any other advantages/disadvantages or are they basically the same phone in a different form?

Thanks!
    05-05-09 04:03 PM
    I had an 8130 for over a year, and switched to the 8230 about 2 months ago (both on Telus). There are things I like about each, but I prefer the Flip. The Flip has a better OS and you'll be able to get OS 5.0 for it soon, the 8130 is basically discontinued. I also prefer typing on the flip, the extra keypad size makes a huge difference. The screen is also a little bigger. I'm not a huge fan of flip phones in general though, and I find it a big annoying having to open my phone to check messages etc.. I also liked how easy it was to change the trackball on the 8130. Performance and memory are noticeably improved on the 8230, and the future OS upgrade makes it worth the upgrade. If you've already ruled out the bold/curve/storm...then the flip gets my vote.
    05-05-09 04:25 PM
    One thing to note though, the Flip isn't as popular as the other devices, so there aren't as many themes or compatible programs released yet (ie: no QuickLaunch for 82xx, but it is available for the 81xx).

Hopefully this will change when it's released by a few more carriers.
    05-05-09 04:29 PM
    The flip has double the memory of the 8130.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    05-05-09 05:13 PM
    Great replies folks - exactly the type of info I'm looking for. Makes waiting for the 8230 worth the wait. My contract was up a couple of weeks ago and I coulda had the 8130 (for free with alltel), but found out the flip was coming out "soon" so I waited. I prefer flip style and if the 8230 is upgraded OS and memory wise that makes the decision even easier, even though I'll end up paying $80 for the flip. Thanks again.
    05-05-09 05:57 PM
    I had an 8130 for over a year, and switched to the 8230 about 2 months ago (both on Telus). There are things I like about each, but I prefer the Flip. The Flip has a better OS and you'll be able to get OS 5.0 for it soon, the 8130 is basically discontinued. I also prefer typing on the flip, the extra keypad size makes a huge difference. The screen is also a little bigger. I'm not a huge fan of flip phones in general though, and I find it a big annoying having to open my phone to check messages etc.. I also liked how easy it was to change the trackball on the 8130. Performance and memory are noticeably improved on the 8230, and the future OS upgrade makes it worth the upgrade. If you've already ruled out the bold/curve/storm...then the flip gets my vote.
    Yeah, I've ruled out the bold/curve/storm - they are just too big for my tastes. Also - with my thicker fingers, I can't use the keyboard well on them. My GF has the curve and typing on it is a pain for me. In playing with the 8130 pearl I found the bit larger keyboard was easier for me. Another reason I am waiting for the flip is because it has a bit bigger keyboard than the 8130. I do not like touchsreen phones, so that rules those out too. The 8230 seems to fit my needs the best of any smartphone I've seen so far in all my research. Thanks for the input!
    05-05-09 06:01 PM
    My last 2 phones were flips, but I am admittedly partial to my Curve. There is nothing wrong with the FlipBerry, and you'll certainly enjoy the extra memory.

05-05-09 06:06 PM
    Thanks Berger. I like my GF's curve except it's just a tad too big (just a bit too big for my pocket) and the biggest prob is the QWERTY keyboard won't work for my bigger man's fingers. I mean, I could get by with it, but in playing with a Pearl 8130 for about an hour in the store it was obvious the suretype keyboard worked better for my fingers. I already use T9word on my current LG8600 so the suretype doesn't really bother me. I'll pick up the layout of the keyboard quick enough although I am used to one-hand texting with my 12 key LG currently.
    05-05-09 06:15 PM
    x2...I'd love a bold or one of the upcoming full-qwerty devices, but they're just too big to keep in my pocket on a daily basis and I hate belt holsters. I envy female BB users that can just throw them in their purse.
    05-05-09 06:23 PM
    x2...I'd love a bold or one of the upcoming full-qwerty devices, but they're just too big to keep in my pocket on a daily basis and I hate belt holsters. I envy female BB users that can just throw them in their purse.
    Yeah, I'm not going fanny-pack style any time soon. The bigger pancake style phones do work better for women with one of the main reasons being they can throw the bigger phone in their purse and not worry about the extra size - I don't even like a full sized wallet (use a moneyclip), so anything bulky bugs me. Also their fingers are obviously much smaller so the QWERTY keyboard is easier for them.
    05-05-09 06:29 PM
    I've adapted well to the Qwerty, but I can multitap my wife's Pearl as well. Never liked T9 texting, never got that good at it. My #3 daughter can T9 fast, but I smoke her on a BB.

05-05-09 07:05 PM
    My Local alltel recieved there flips today and was told should be on the system by friday. This perticular alltel goes verizon end of June
    05-05-09 07:50 PM
    My Local alltel recieved there flips today and was told should be on the system by friday. This perticular alltel goes verizon end of June

Thats VERY interesting. Where are you located if you don't mind me asking? There are no corporate alltel outlets here, only a couple of franchised outlets, and they weren't even going to bring the Flip 8230 in to their stores to start with. I wonder if I would be better off going to a different town (missoula MT) and going to the corporate store for my flip? Thanks for that info, BTW.
    05-05-09 09:11 PM
    Plainview Tx and this is a corp store
    05-06-09 06:28 AM
    Thanks TX - I shoulda connected the dots from the "TX" in your handle. I'm going to contact the nearest corp allel store today and see what they say.
    05-06-09 11:52 AM
    Just talked to the closest Alltel corp store, which is an hour away from me - they will be able to get me into the flip tommorrow it sounds like. So I might be taking a road trip if that is the case.
    05-06-09 12:09 PM
    Flipper FTW.
    I love my flip. I played with my friends 8110 and a different friends 8220 (pink) for about a week each before I made my decision. The 8220 won by a long shot, and I grabbed one in black . Good choice.
    05-06-09 02:56 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD