My friend who owns a 9700 was asking me about the pearl and is interested in buying one.

His main question is if it has shortcuts and what are they?

Like for example, what is the shortcut to switch between languaes when typing?

What other convenient shortcuts are there?

Thanks in advance
    02-09-11 10:30 AM
    Alt-intro for language switch.
    The shortcuts in home screen depends on the language you are using.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    02-10-11 03:21 PM
    Thanks, but can you post like a full list of the shortcuts which can be used on a Pearl?

Thanks
    02-10-11 03:56 PM
    Depends on the OS, but are mostly the same, example: if your un the mesage aplication and you open an email you hit 4to go to the next and 6 to go to the previous, in the mesage list hit 1 to go to the top of the mesages, hit space to go down 1 page... etc... etc... etc

there are a bunch, maybe we can post all of them in a thread.,..
    02-10-11 04:48 PM
    Thanks....I was hoping for a list of all the shortcuts....if I am able to send all the shortcuts of the pearl to him. He will buy one.
    02-11-11 01:43 AM
    BlackBerry basics shortcuts - User Guide - BlackBerry Pearl 9100 Smartphone - 5.0

BlackBerry basics shortcuts
    Depending on the typing input language that you are using, some shortcuts might not be available.

To move the cursor, slide your finger on the trackpad.
    To move back a screen, press the Escape key.
    To open a menu in an application to access options and available actions, press the Menu key.
    To move to a list item or menu item, type the first letter of the item.
    To select a highlighted menu item, press the Menu key.
    To select or clear a check box, press the Space key.
    To view available values in a field, press the Alt key.
    To switch applications, press and hold the Menu key. Click an application.
    To return to the Home screen, when you are not on a call, press the End key.
    To delete a highlighted item, press the Backspace/Delete key.
    From the Home screen
    To lock the keyboard, press and hold the asterisk (*) key. To unlock the keyboard, press and hold the asterisk (*) key and press the Send key.
    To lock the device, set a password. Press and hold the asterisk (*) key. To unlock the device, type your password. Press the Enter key.
    To switch between the active notification profile and the Vibrate notification profile, press and hold the # key.
    02-11-11 09:21 AM
    Phone shortcuts
    Depending on the typing input language that you are using, some shortcuts might not be available.

To change your ring tone, from the Home screen, press the Send key. Press the Menu key. Click Set Ring Tone.
    To check your voice mail, press and hold 1.
    To send an incoming call to voice mail, press and hold the Volume Down key on the right side of your BlackBerry� device.
    To set up speed dial for a contact, on the Home screen or in the phone application, press and hold the key that you would like to assign speed dial to.
    To add an extension to a phone number, press the X key. Type the extension number.
    To type a letter in a phone number field, press and hold the Alt key. Use the multi-tap input method to type the letter.
    To insert a plus sign (+) when typing a phone number, press and hold 0.
    To turn on the speakerphone during a call, press the period (.) key. To turn off the speakerphone during a call, press the period (.) key again.
    If you are using a wireless headset, to stop listening to a call with the headset, press the period (.) key. To listen to a call using the wireless headset again, press the period (.) key again.
    If you have multiple phone numbers associated with your BlackBerry� device, to change the active phone number, from the Home screen, press the Send key. Click your phone number at the top of the screen. Click a phone number.
    02-11-11 09:22 AM
    Message shortcuts
    In a message

To reply to a message, press the exclamation point (!) key.
    To forward a message, press the period (.) key.
    To move to the last cursor position after you close and reopen a received email message or PIN message, press 5.
    In a message list
    To open a highlighted message, press the Enter key.
    To compose a message from a message list, press the comma (,) key.
    To view received messages and received call logs, press the Alt key and 3.
    To view call logs, press the Alt key and the period (.) key.
    To view voice mail messages, press the Alt key and 7.
    To view SMS text messages, press the Alt key and the question mark (?) key.
    To view all your messages, press the Escape key.
    Move around a message list
    To move up a screen, press the Shift key and the Space key.
    To move down a screen, press the Space key.
    To move to the top of a message list, press 1.
    To move to the bottom of a message list, press 7.
    To move up a message, press 2.
    To move down a message, press 8.
    To move to the next date, press 6.
    To move to the previous date, press 4.
    02-11-11 09:22 AM
    Typing shortcuts

To insert a period, press the Space key twice. The next letter is capitalized.
    To capitalize a letter, press and hold the letter key until the capitalized letter appears.
    To type the alternate character on a key, press and hold the Alt key and press the character key.
    To type an accented or special character, press and hold the letter key and slide your finger on the trackpad left or right. Click a selected character. For example, to type �, press and hold 3 and slide your finger on the trackpad to the left until � is highlighted. Click the trackpad.
    To type a number in a number field, press a number key. You do not need to press the Alt key.
    To type a number in a text field, press and hold the Alt key and press the number key.
    To type a letter in a number field, press and hold the Alt key and use the multi-tap input method.
    To turn on NUM lock, press the Shift key and the Alt key. To turn off NUM lock, press the Alt key.
    To type a long word quickly, type part of the word. In the list that appears when you type, highlight an item with the same initial letters as the word that you want to type. Slide your finger on the trackpad to the right. In the second list that appears on the screen, highlight the word that you want to type. Press the Enter key.
    Insert symbols
    To insert an at sign (@) or a period (.) in an email address field, press the Space key.
    To type a symbol, press the Symbol key. To view more symbols, press the Symbol key again. Type the letter that appears below the symbol.
    Work with text
    To highlight a line of text, press and hold the Shift key and slide your finger on the trackpad up or down.
    To highlight text character by character, press and hold the Shift key and slide your finger on the trackpad left or right.
    To cancel a text selection, press the Escape key.
    To cut highlighted text when typing, press the Shift key and the Backspace/Delete key.
    To copy highlighted text when typing, press the Alt key and click the trackpad.
    To paste highlighted text when typing, press the Shift key and click the trackpad.
    02-11-11 09:23 AM
    Browser shortcuts

To insert a period (.) in the web address field, press the Space key.
    To insert a slash mark (/) in the web address field, press the Shift key and the Space key.
    To stop loading a web page, press the Escape key.
    To close the browser, hold the Escape key.
    On a web page
    To switch between Column view and Page view, press the at sign (@) key.
    To zoom in to a web page, press the comma (,) key.
    To zoom out from a web page, press the period (.) key.
    To turn on support for JavaScript, press the Symbol key.
    To move to a specific web page, press 5.
    To add a bookmark, press the question mark (?) key.
    To follow a link, highlight or pause on the link. Press the Enter key.
    To hide the banner, press the exclamation point (!) key. To view the banner, press the exclamation point (!) key.
    Navigate a web page
    To move up a screen, press 3.
    To move down a screen, press 9.
    To move to the top of a web page, press 1.
    To move to the bottom of a web page, press 7
    02-11-11 09:24 AM
    Thank you very much for this effort. I really appreciate it.
    02-12-11 01:43 AM
    I have forwaded them in one email to the person who is interested in the Pearl, I think this will make him buy one
    02-12-11 01:46 AM
    Here you have some for Twitter for BlackBerry and BlackBerry Messenger

Twitter for BlackBerry QWERTY Shortcuts

! (reply)
    ? (reply all)
    space (page down)
    . (forward)
    , (compose)
    5 (refresh)
    And the Alt-functions work just the same:

Alt+0 (home)
    Alt+1 (mentions)
    Alt+2 (lists)
    Alt+3 (profile)
    Alt+4 (inbox)
    Alt+5 (find people)
    Alt+6 (search)
    Alt+7 (popular topics)

BBM Shortcuts for QWERTY Keyboards

In a chat:

ER (go to top)
    CV (go to bottom)
    QW (reply)
    In the Group Picture Carousel:

BN (next picture)
    OP (previous picture)
    DF (mark as favorite)
    02-12-11 12:45 PM
    thanks alot bro!!
    02-12-11 01:10 PM
    Here you have some for Twitter for BlackBerry and BlackBerry Messenger

Twitter for BlackBerry QWERTY Shortcuts

! (reply)
    ? (reply all)
    space (page down)
    . (forward)
    , (compose)
    5 (refresh)
    And the Alt-functions work just the same:

Alt+0 (home)
    Alt+1 (mentions)
    Alt+2 (lists)
    Alt+3 (profile)
    Alt+4 (inbox)
    Alt+5 (find people)
    Alt+6 (search)
    Alt+7 (popular topics)

BBM Shortcuts for QWERTY Keyboards

In a chat:

ER (go to top)
    CV (go to bottom)
    QW (reply)
    In the Group Picture Carousel:

BN (next picture)
    OP (previous picture)
    DF (mark as favorite)
    Thank you for sharing these!

02-12-11 05:58 PM
    Thank you for sharing these!

Anytime!!! Glad I could help!!!
    02-14-11 08:43 AM
    Holding "ALT" & pressing "BN" "M" "L" "L" will toggle the signal strength display between a numerical display & a 5 bar indicator.

1 Bar: -102 to -120 dBM
    2 Bars: -93 to -101 dBM
    3 Bars: -87 to -92 dBM
    4 Bars: -78 to -86 dBM
    5 Bars: -40 to -77 dBM

A numerical display of 1 milliwatt {if you should chose} gives a more accurate level of signal strength in decibels. In numerical form the display will always be a negative number because signal strength will always be under a full milliwatt.

I've also discovered that the browser in the "Go To" field where you select search preference {e.g. google, wikipedia}. As long as you have it highlighted with the curser you only have to press the first letter of what you want.
    Google "G"
    Yahoo "Y"
    Live Search "L"
    Wikipedia "W"
    Dictionary "D"

The other day I was texting my address, the address came up in link form. Much like when you put in a phone number or a PIN. After clicking the link it opened bb maps to my address, I know for a fact that my 8220 never did that.
    02-25-11 09:11 PM
    Not sure if anyone added this yet, but Pearls have a 'Num Lock' function.

Just press 'Caps', then followed by 'ALT'.

Num Lock should now remain on, until 'ALT' is pressed again.
    Last edited by schmoozer; 03-23-11 at 03:08 PM.
    03-23-11 03:05 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD