Hey everyone,

So my mom wants that pink Pearl from VZW but she does not need the BB service, like the email, data plan, or anything like that. She wouldnt know how to use it if you ask me . So anyways, VZW says she cant get the phone without that service. What I think we should do is get the same phone from Ebay. Then we can just activate it through VZW's website, keeping her same plan, right?

Let me know, thanks!
    05-08-08 01:21 PM
    I personally don't see the point of having a berry without the service; however, one of my coworkers has a pearl on T-mobile and she doesn't have a blackberry account and it works fine for her.
    05-08-08 01:37 PM
    Tmobile has a free feature that enables your BB to work properly otherwise you can't get pictures sent to you without internet. (I know for a fact, I work there) I'm not sure about Verizon, but they might have something similar you can check on it.
    05-08-08 02:12 PM
    I don't get it... if people want a "phone" why don't they buy a "phone"? The whole point of a BB is for all those things you mentioned she didn't want/ didn't know how to use. I guess I don't get it, anyone else with me on this one?!?!
    05-08-08 02:25 PM
    I don't get it... if people want a "phone" why don't they buy a "phone"? The whole point of a BB is for all those things you mentioned she didn't want/ didn't know how to use. I guess I don't get it, anyone else with me on this one?!?!
    The last time I checked, a BB is still a phone first

Any "phone" that you buy now has a camera, mp3 player, bla, bla, bla...

So if someone doesn't use any of those things what are they supposed to do?

Oh, go buy a phone they like and just not use them

So what's the difference between buying a "phone" or a BB?

I purchased a Peal 8110 as a "phone" first and then something to send emails on....

I guess I just don't get why you don't get it?

It's not rocket science here bud!
    Last edited by jaydow11; 05-08-08 at 02:33 PM.
    05-08-08 02:31 PM
    She wanted the pink Pearl because its "pretty". And you must admit it is "prettier" than anything LG from Verizon offers! Looks like she is going to have to settle with the LG Venus
    05-08-08 02:55 PM
    I understand it's a phone, but it's defintely not the best phone out there for reception. And there are plenty of phones to choose from that are "candy bar" style so that's why I don't get why people want a fully loaded awesome device and not take advantage of any of the features. I would say they are overspending for what their needs are.... it's just my take on things!

Everyone is entitled to an opinion

PS I'm not a bud
    05-08-08 03:15 PM
    I understand it's a phone, but it's defintely not the best phone out there for reception. And there are plenty of phones to choose from that are "candy bar" style so that's why I don't get why people want a fully loaded awesome device and not take advantage of any of the features. I would say they are overspending for what their needs are.... it's just my take on things!

Everyone is entitled to an opinion

PS I'm not a bud
    We'll he wasn't actually asking for your opinion on the difference between a "phone" and a BB. He was asking about getting the phone off Ebay and if that would be possible without a plan as VZW says it's not...

Sorry, if you're not a bud, then how about a dude!

Anyways, I'm sure someone can answer his question specific to VZW? I know it would be possible on Rogers...
    05-08-08 03:48 PM
    Thanks Jaydow11, someone answered it already. Unfortunately, VWZ is the only carrier who DOESNT allow you to activate a BB without the BB service. Oh well. I am reallyyyy thinking about At&t right now with that new 3G iPhone around the corner.
    05-08-08 04:31 PM
    Thanks Jaydow11, someone answered it already. Unfortunately, VWZ is the only carrier who DOESNT allow you to activate a BB without the BB service. Oh well. I am reallyyyy thinking about At&t right now with that new 3G iPhone around the corner.
    That's actually not true, a lot of the CDMA carriers require the data plan when you have a smartphone on your account.
    05-08-08 05:32 PM
    You can't use the website to activate a Blackberry. If you try, it'll just tell you to call Verizon to activate it, and you already know what they'll tell you.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    05-08-08 06:29 PM
    As a VZW Employee for over 5 years I can tell you that the BlackBerry is the only device that requires a data package. Sorry, but that is the agreement that VZW has w/RIM.
    05-08-08 06:48 PM
    I'm right there with you.....
    05-08-08 06:50 PM
    I'm right there with you.....
    You BB snobs need to get over yourselves. I see your posts all the time and it's pretty annoying and egocentric. No one cares that much about what your opinion is on gettng a BB for just the phone part.

I got the BB Pearl as a phone first and for the wifi. I don't care about getting email the very moment it gets sent or so I can surf the internet at every moment I'm awake. I like it because it looks nice and I can goof off on the wifi when i'm at the airport and the like. Having had it for a week now I gotta tell you I'd rather tug my laptop along for any meaningful web surfing. But it's still a nice phone.

Back to the topic, it sounds like goign ATT or TMo is your best bet since you can get an unlocked phone on Ebay and then just plug in the sim card.
    05-09-08 02:07 AM
    i got a BB 8120 from tmobile and you don't have to have a data plan to use to the bb. the wi fi is still working and the guy even told me if i didn't need to pay for internet all the time, then why do it?

but i did end up going back and getting it lol cuz they had a good plan, unlimited text, 1000 minutes w/ free nights and weekends, and unlimited data for $60 a month.
    05-09-08 08:42 AM
    oh scratch that, no nights and weekends lol but i don't use 1000 a month cuz i use like 7,000 texts lol
    05-09-08 08:43 AM
    Lol you'll have to excuse us BB "snobs" but we're just so addicted to ALL our BBs' features that we don't always see why anyone would want one for a phone. Its a side effect of our Crackberry addiction. : )

05-09-08 09:06 AM
    Lol you'll have to excuse us BB "snobs" but we're just so addicted to ALL our BBs' features that we don't always see why anyone would want one for a phone. Its a side effect of our Crackberry addiction. : )

LOL Duly noted.
    05-09-08 03:34 PM
    who cares why she wants a bb, let her get one if she can, it puts more money in RIM's pocket to keep good products rolling. i got my pearl because it is a candy bar style phone, and the only other bar phone was a really basic sanyo model.

there are some great things about the BB phone-wise, and Sprint will allow you to get a bb w/o a data plan... so VZW is probably just yanking her/your chain.
    05-10-08 01:05 AM
    Listen, people buy cars that go 230 miles per hour but the speed limit is 55 or 65. BUT the car sure does look damn pretty right? So go get Mom the phone because just like that Maserati car, it does precisely what she will need, make a phone call. And the reason I left VZW and Sprint is because they hold a dictatorship on which phones you can use or not use, where as TMO and ATT use sim cards so get ANY phone that works off of gsm with a sim card and once again you are MAKING A PHONE CALL. Good luck
    05-10-08 01:23 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD