why is OS6 better than OS5? - it's not, it's all user preference. It's newer, 'fresher' and different menu structures, different displays. Big deal. Change is good, got tired of OS5 on my 9000 and 9100 so I put OS6 on the second 9100.

Just part of the collection

I also like the increased functionality in BB Theme Studio 6 vs 5.
    08-19-11 09:21 PM
    I dowloaded OS5 from blackberry.com.
    Uninstalled OS6 from my computer (control panel\add programs)
    Installed OS5 in my computer.
    opened loader.exe in C:\Program Files\Common Files\Research In Motion\AppLoader
    Then choose old OS.
    I've been looking for the OS 5 in blackberry.com and I can't seem to find it...
    08-19-11 11:26 PM
    us.blackberry.com/support/downloads/download_sites.jsp you can download from this link. Just choose your provider
    tenvs7th1 likes this.
    08-20-11 05:52 AM
    OS5 if you need it to just work, & for the widest app. compatibility.

OS6 if don't mind incompatibility/instability for eye candy.
    08-30-11 05:27 PM
    Is it really true that you could already play flac files for the OS 6?
    What about in OS 5?
    08-31-11 11:37 PM
    OS5 if you need it to just work, & for the widest app. compatibility.

OS6 if don't mind incompatibility/instability for eye candy.
    incorrect. I have the same suite of apps on the 9100 OS6 as on the 9100 OS5. No incompatibility/instability, just lots of eye candy
    09-01-11 07:47 PM
    You will want to disable the universal search, it will free about 20MB or more of RAM, specially if you store many searchable items.
    09-05-11 08:03 PM
    on what specific basis is 6 better than 5?
    The interface is much more refined. It also has tabbed browsing, social feeds and much more. It feels more 2011. The OS 5 just looks like if it was released back in 2003.
    09-05-11 08:05 PM
    My 9100 is on Rogers, and Desktop Manager keeps prompting me to install 6.0 Bundle 2343.

I'm worried about instability and challenges with rollback if necessary.

Has anybody tried that specific version? The comments in this thread seem to pull in two different directions.
    09-22-11 09:24 PM
    i got 6.0.0.600 on my pearl 3g. Love it. leaves less memory than 5 but doesn't matter to me. i've got about 20 apps on the phone and theres still lots left.
    09-28-11 11:05 AM
    incorrect. I have the same suite of apps on the 9100 OS6 as on the 9100 OS5. No incompatibility/instability, just lots of eye candy
    The OP was asking for everyone's 'opinion'.

Your opinion is not the end all, be all of 'any' subject (nor is anyone else's).

Nor does 'your' opinion mean that, what you experienced - is what others experienced.

Validating your own 'opinion' by the invalidation of another's is quite petty, & a feeble attempt at best.

OS 5 is a more mature OS - i.e. much more time to work out bugs, that's a fact.

OS 6 is more recent and still has issues to be panned out (another fact).

Now, please make like the wind and go blow - elsewhere
    Last edited by schmoozer; 10-22-11 at 04:43 PM.
    10-22-11 04:17 PM
    I was one of the one's raving about os5 {5.0.0.748}, I inadvertently upgraded to os6 {6.0.0.600}, as someone who was completely satisfied with everything os5 did I can say one noticeable difference with os6 is that the browser is far more fluid. Pages will load & scroll to where you want better. Tab browsing is another new feature, the ability to have more then one website running simultaneously. Getting use to the new layout does take some getting use to.

With all my apps combined going from 100mb to hovering around 50-60mb of free space has somewhat ''balanced" the benefits of os6. OS5 worked fine for me, os6 has yet to let me down in the 2 days that I've experimented with it. For now os6 is on a probationary period as to whether I decide to keep it.
    11-01-11 07:25 PM
    Under os5 I had 100mb, after converting to os6 that dropped to 60mb within a few days that would drop further drop into 30's. After battery pulls I now start in the mid 50's, which starts dropping within the hour.

I've also noticed the backlight doesn't dim in darker environments, it's easy to read when you have good lighting. When it's dark, it's like starring into a headlight. Profiles also don't switch to normal & silent using the "#" key, which was something I use frequently. Instead your offered the option to assign a speed dial to the vary key.

I was perfectly happy with os5, under os6 the browser is far more fluid. My memory issues outweigh my internet use and I'll be downgrading back to 5.0.0.748 when I can but it won't be in the next week due to the amount of hours I'll be working.
    11-06-11 01:13 AM
    Long time user of Curve and Bold, both running OS5.

Got a Pearl 3G that had OS6 factory installed. I find OS6 a lot smoother and polished with the main benefit being the stock browser which is now actually good. Not had any memory issues yet with a steady 80MB showing as free for the last few weeks and no battery pulls required. However, the Pearl is being used mainly for BBM, email and the odd browsing session so heavier usage might have more of a hit on memory.

Takes a while to get used to the new interface but not really a problem, everything is intuitive and it's nice to see a fresher approach to the BB without getting rid of the functionality.

Don't really like the collapsable tray on OS6, much prefer having the simpler grid of menu's on OS5 but then again, I really like the tabbed pages on OS6 so I can quickly access the most frequent apps. The notifications bar thing and the universal search are also great, it's nice to be able to find emails by just typing a few words.

On the whole, I'd say the benefits of OS6 outweight the negatives for me so I'm sticking with it and will get round to upgrading the Curve and Bold too at some stage.
    11-08-11 07:48 AM
    I've been a long time user of OS 5 and headed to OS 6 a few days ago.
    I have a 9105 Pearl 3G (T9, not half-QWERTY)
    Keep in mind that I'm not a power user. Phone, SMS, calendar and some tasks and I'm done. No BBM, no mail, no Internet, no video, some MP3 and that's all.
    So ...
    It's sleek, more beautiful, more iPhonish if you will. Icons are nicer, animations are smoother, ...
    Recent menu is neat. I only swear by it.
    Contextual menus are not textual any more, icons are all the way.
    By the way, the home screen contains, or may contain, more information.

The real big drawback is smart dialing as gsmarena.com calls it.
    On OS6, typing on the home screen opens Universal Search, and not automatically open Phone Application.
    Let me give you an example. I have 2 contacts : Ganon and Ico (yes, my friends have silly names !).
    On OS 5, when I type 462 on the home screen (remember I have a 9105 T9 Pearl 3G, but you could translate the problem to the 9100 Half-QWERTY), Phone application automatically launches and suggests Ganon AND Ico.
    On OS6, when I type 462 on the home screen, Universal Search application automatically launches and suggests Names and any other thing that contains the word, SureType-wise, that contains what I'm typing. Whether it is 'gan' OR 'Ico', not both of them. If I want my 2 contacts, I have to go to the Phone Application first (one far click away !).
    That's the nature of our not-full Blackberry devices, it's obviously not present on the whole keyboard phones.
    That's the biggest OS6 disappointement for the power user I am not.

I'm now wondering if I'm going to downgrade because of this click ...
    12-15-11 02:41 AM
    HI, I have att 9100, I want to upgrade to OS6.

Does anybody around knows for sure an OS6 that works right with an US at&t 9100?

I know camera can stop working and some other common bugs when not using the proper OS...

thanks a lot
    02-02-12 05:04 AM
    nobody can help???
    02-05-12 11:26 AM
    1) Download the OS

2) Shrink it

3) Install it in the phone

4) Done

You have a good & stable OS in your phone.
    02-05-12 04:42 PM
    que quieres decir por Shrink????

Ive tried everything that has been posted, that att 9100 just does not acepts to get a os6 installed on it,,, I dare anyatt owner to tell me how to do so.

Thinking about it today I just figured that maybe if I delete DM from my computer, install DM from the CD that comes from a 9100 from bell canada that I have, maybe turning inet off and with an 0s6 installed in my computer maybeee i cant turn around the problem,,, but I would rather force the os6 installation with an os that someone has installed before.
    02-07-12 03:07 PM
    Its not that its an ATT 9100, its probably how you're trying to load it. Install the current or leaked 9100 OS6 version on your HD, delete the vendor.xml file and use the app loader to load the OS. I installed it and its been running it on one of my ATT 9100s without an issue.

There are plenty of posts on how to load an OS. Check it out.
    02-10-12 09:08 PM
45 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD