A little over a year ago I purchased an 8100. In that time, it's had to be replaced for defects in workmanship THREE times. I get Murphy's law and all, but three times in just over a year?? The first time was a bad trackball, and the second and third random keys on the keypad simply refused to work - including the power button. Now, I'm having problems once again, this time with a bad usb/charging plug that seems to short randomly.

I can't imagine this phone was that poorly made that I'd get four doosies in a row like this...particularly since (yeah, even though it's *just* a lowly Pearl), it's the most expensive phone I've ever purchased.

Anyone else have repeated problems with their handsets like this? And yes, before anyone asks, I do take good care of the thing.
    12-16-09 08:12 PM
    was it the 8100 or 8120? My wife had some pretty big problems with her 8100 but the 8120 was pretty solid. Now she has a 8900 and knock on wood, no problems at all!
    12-16-09 08:14 PM
    I had an 8100 that I used for close to 2 years and it was a truly solid device.
    Never a day of problems and the only issue (broken clip on battery door) was
    completely my fault.

It is now in the hands of another user and still performing well.
    12-16-09 08:54 PM
    I am on my 2nd pearl after my first lost a battle with a washing machine. I use mine all the time and have no problems I have been using this one for 2 years and it might be top of the line but it is better than most for the price. I think you have bad luck.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    12-16-09 09:13 PM
    I had a Pearl 8130 and it was absolutely 100% rock solid. I don't consider it a low device. I can't speak on the 8100 but with the addition of a few add on's; they are pretty much the same. Maybe it's your luck but despite finally upgrading recently, I miss using my Pearl everyday. It rates on my top 5 list of best devices made!!!
    12-16-09 09:16 PM
    I have a friend here who has absolutely worked his 8100 slap to death, and just recently had the good fortune to upgrade to an 8900 due to the generosity of another member and friend. That Pearl has inspired many of us, and by no means could be considered inferior.

12-16-09 09:36 PM
    Mine and my wife's original 8100's are still going strong.

She's moved on to an iPhone just about a month ago, but my 8100 is still going a good 3 years later.

Sure, I've had to remove the trackball assembly to clean the contacts and rollers a few times, and the click pad under the ball is a little worn (I have to press just a little harder than I used to), but that expected wear as far as I'm concerned after all these years spent in my pants pocket. It should last until the 9100 comes out (or I decide to get the 9700).
    12-16-09 10:16 PM
    Mine and my wife's original 8100's are still going strong.

She's moved on to an iPhone just about a month ago, but my 8100 is still going a good 3 years later.

Sure, I've had to remove the trackball assembly to clean the contacts and rollers a few times, and the click pad under the ball is a little worn (I have to press just a little harder than I used to), but that expected wear as far as I'm concerned after all these years spent in my pants pocket. It should last until the 9100 comes out (or I decide to get the 9700).
    A little money and you can repair that stiff dome here.

Trackball Dome button keypad[/QUOTE]

12-16-09 10:31 PM
    Had my 17 months now. Love it! Want the Bold, but still love my Pearl. Only problem I have had is that there isn't enough space on the device to add the apps I want....

Oh well....
    12-17-09 10:25 AM
    I started with the 8100 and loved it. Software upgrades made it better over time. I did get a warranty replacement, but have had that with nearly every phone I've ever owned over the past 15 years. I just got an 8110 and love it as well. I would like the Bold, but cannot part with the small Pearl.

My understanding is that AT&T will have a new 3G Pearl in 2Q and it will not have the trackball. Should be sweet. I would like to see something like a slider Pearl with the screen taking up the whole face.
    12-17-09 10:53 AM
    My son is using the 8100 that I bought 3 years ago. It works flawlessly. The ear speaker went out about a year ago, but a generous soul here on CB sent me a dead 8100 for parts. I switched out the ear speaker and now it's working perfectly again.
    Sorry you've had duds.
    12-17-09 11:05 AM
    My 8100 was perfect. Never had any problems with it. I charged it over the
    weekend, and it made me sad that I don't use it all the time anymore..... I
    still love that phone!
    12-17-09 01:45 PM
    A little over a year ago I purchased an 8100. In that time, it's had to be replaced for defects in workmanship THREE times. I get Murphy's law and all, but three times in just over a year?? The first time was a bad trackball, and the second and third random keys on the keypad simply refused to work - including the power button. Now, I'm having problems once again, this time with a bad usb/charging plug that seems to short randomly.

I can't imagine this phone was that poorly made that I'd get four doosies in a row like this...particularly since (yeah, even though it's *just* a lowly Pearl), it's the most expensive phone I've ever purchased.

Anyone else have repeated problems with their handsets like this? And yes, before anyone asks, I do take good care of the thing.
    i'm using the 8100 pearl right now. have had mine for 3 years with no issues at all. if the 8100 had more app memory, i could easily keep this phone for another 2 years.

in all honesty, i love the form factor of the pearl and if the 9100 was out right now, i would probably purchase it over the 9700.
    12-17-09 03:49 PM
    i honestly thought the pearl (in general) was a POS, that was BEFORE i had a Blackberry. And honestly i think the pearl is ONE OF THEEE BEST Blackberry ever made! Does so much in that compact size! I was given a fair use and abused pearl and it hasnt fail me yet. In fact only time that it did was today when someone stole it from school. Cant really blame the pearl for that. But i did have trackball issues once and thats that.... Im addicted to blackberry, the one and only device for me <3 lol
    12-17-09 07:59 PM
    Another thing for u to consider is how old the pearl already was relative to the time u purchased it.

Granted, it sounds like ur issues are more due to bad luck, but u can't hate on the performance of a device that had already been out for years.

12-18-09 07:00 PM
    I had a 8100 for 2 years (today in fact) and loved it so much today I got the 8110 in blue. Solid phone and the only problems I had was lack of speed and recently the speaker seemed to be too low. Maxed out I would miss calls because never heard the phone ring. Updating the OS helped a bit on the speed issue. I have no plans to change again for at least 2 more years now. I will keep the 8100 for spare parts.

Wylde
    12-23-09 12:22 AM
    The 8100 is the most solid phone my sister and I have ever owned. She has had her 8100 since the day after it came out, and the phone looks like ****, but has never died on her. People who go through phones like crazy, don't know how to take care of phones, PERIOD. I myself also have an 8100 that survived a fall into a jar of orange juice for over 10 seconds. I also have an 8120. These are GREAT phones. Within the past 2 weeks I have bought brand new complete black housings for my pearls. If you looked at both pearls, you would swear they are 100% brand new.
    12-23-09 02:27 PM
    Ive had mine for about a year now and havent had any problems I didnt create.
    01-16-10 12:32 PM
    To be honest you need to learn how to customize your pearl 8100 ok? i was pretty annoyed with it the first time i used it; the trackball went stiff , my 2 key didn't work and all kinds of problems. you can fix them without paying a lot too.
    01-17-10 12:28 AM
    I had an 8100 that I used for close to 2 years and it was a truly solid device.
    Never a day of problems and the only issue (broken clip on battery door) was
    completely my fault.

It is now in the hands of another user and still performing well.
    Me too. I bought one used off of Craigslist and never had issues with it....

The only thing wrong with it (other than scratches on the screen) is a little chip on the top when my fiancee threw it one night.
    01-17-10 05:18 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD