Found this article on the web,
    What’s the future for the BlackBerry Pearl? | PocketBerry

Is it true that RIM might kill the Pearl series , they don't seem to be releasing any new models of the pearl in the near future, so could this be the last of the series ?

I hope its not true, I love my pearl....
    06-06-11 02:24 AM
    It took awhile for the Pearl 3G to come out.
    But it just might be the last one.

The Pearl line isn't too popular anymore.
    As you can see, the only main US carrier that has it is AT&T.
    No CDMA carriers have picked it up, as much as i'd like them to....Verizon!
    06-06-11 03:02 AM
    Too bad, the Pearl is the only compact smart phone out there.

I don't think there is any other alternative candy bar smart phone,
    which is compact and stylish like the Pearl.

But who knows, no one predicted the release of the Pearl 3G sometime
    back, all thought the Pearls were gone. Maybe RIM might bring out something
    new after all the new models of Bold they bring out every year.
    06-06-11 03:21 AM
    It didn't help that AT&T waited almost a full 6 months between announcement and eventual release (although, there was some discrepancy over whether it was AT&T or RIM that was holding it up - but RIM did let the rest of the world release it 4 months earlier). And, when AT&T did finally release it, they offer only the red one (nothing wrong with that, just would have been nice to have a choice), and they price it sky high just below the Bold for some asinine reason. Its like AT&T didn't want the things to sell. No advertising whatsoever for it didn't help either.

The price alone is why I ended up going for the Torch - I got a refurb for 1 cent last December. Although AT&T is finally offering the 9100 for similar deals now. Not the 1 cent deals, but lower priced refurbished models. A bit late of course.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    Last edited by joeldf; 06-06-11 at 09:10 AM.
    06-06-11 09:07 AM
    I think it is, like it or not I think the world has spoken and everyone want social networking, ie decent web capability and a bigger screen. not to hijack this thread but as I am a die hard fan but looking at the upcoming 9900 really has me salivating; larger format like a 9000, only 8 gms heavier than a 9780, thinner than a 9780, faster, touchscreen, 720 capture, HSPA+ (4G) 768 MB memory, etc. Reads like sex in a phone and yes I have a life, lol

9780 = 4.29 x 2.36 x 0.55
    9900 = 4.53 x 2.60 x 0.41
    06-06-11 04:26 PM
    I think it is, like it or not I think the world has spoken and everyone want social networking, ie decent web capability and a bigger screen. not to hijack this thread but as I am a die hard fan but looking at the upcoming 9900 really has me salivating; larger format like a 9000, only 8 gms heavier than a 9780, thinner than a 9780, faster, touchscreen, 720 capture, HSPA+ (4G) 768 MB memory, etc. Reads like sex in a phone and yes I have a life, lol

9780 = 4.29 x 2.36 x 0.55
    9900 = 4.53 x 2.60 x 0.41
    Yeah but compare that to your 9100. It's a much larger and heavier phone, and you lose the dedicated media keys! Doesn't this give you pause?
    08-11-11 07:58 AM
    i don't feel like the 9100 got much success as its predecessor the 8100 got.rim will have to innovate once again if they decide to continue on with their pearl series.but i don't think rim is considering the pearl as a priority right now.so it will be a very very long time before you see a pearl revamp if ever.
    08-11-11 07:38 PM
    This is unfortunate, it was the Pearl that caused me to stick with Blackberries. My first being the Flip and my now current 9100 that I couldn't be happier with. When the Pearl becomes "outdated" I'll be left with a wide variety of manufactures to choose from.

I know I'm but only one customer but the pint sized buttons that the Blackberries have become known for I've never been a fan of.
    gt4steve and luap_42 like this.
    08-11-11 08:12 PM
    I think not (As Rene Descartes said, shortly before he disappeared), my reason? The Playbook -- tether your Pearl to the PB and you have the best of both words, a big screen when you need it and a small device (with big keys) when you need that.
    08-12-11 09:42 AM
    I hope they update/refresh it later down the road. Maybe add more memory and a little more power.

I agree about the button size of the other BB's. They are just a little too small. After the 9100 learns your vocabulary, it is faster to type on than the other devices.
    08-12-11 12:48 PM
    darn shame if it does go the way of the dodo bird, it was the pearl 3g that made me step through the stargate and join the BB world for the first time, been loving it ever since, hope to see some future iteration of it........RIM??
    08-12-11 01:34 PM
    I can't understand why they would get rid of the SureType keyboard. I loved my pearl flip it was my favorite device RIM had.

gt4steve likes this.
    08-24-11 10:28 PM
    It would seem that the 9100 is the last of the candy bars, although the 9850 is close in size (108x50x13.3 vs. 120x62x11.5). I've progressed from the 8100 to the 8110 and finally to the 910, too bad!!
    09-07-11 01:37 PM
    The Problem is the battery. the Pearl 3G was rated for 5.5 hours talk time, and my 9360 is rated for only 5 hours talk time.

If RIM is to make a new Pearl, then current conventions indicate it will be slimmer and with specs at LEAST comparable to the 9360.

That requires an even smaller battery. Being that the market is mostly tweens and people that will be using it for a bit of communication, it will be DOA if it has <4.5 hours of talk time.

Unless RIM rolls it out using a brand new processor that's 800mhz, tiny, and low consumption.

Given that current devices are already down to 45nm CPUs, the 9100 will essentially REQUIRE a 32nm processor, which is somewhat rare and will be a bit more expensive.
    09-07-11 09:48 PM
    I bet the Pearl 9100 would be really successful on the smaller carriers, like Metro PCS, Boost and Virgin USA.

09-08-11 04:03 PM
    AT&T's website, as of this posting, doesn't even list the Pearl 3G anymore.

Have they just given up on it?

If you go through Amazon and pick AT&T, it is still listed, but for 1 cent. That's for a new contract, of course.

09-09-11 09:41 AM
    Amazon is one thing... on their site they list new devices and removing the old ones to make room for the new...
    09-26-11 10:05 AM
    If Verizon would of gotten the Pearl 3G I wouldn't be sitting here with an iphone. I would hope there would be some 4g Pearl in the future. That be sweet.
    09-29-11 07:28 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD