Why does RIM associate the Pearl 3G with only women? I'm a guy and I would love to get this phone after previously having an original Pearl... is it me or does it seem this way to everyone? even on the blackberry website it shows that the Pearl 3G is for women
    04-28-10 06:17 PM
    Maybe thats how that are marketing it but I know many dudes who would sport one including me
    04-28-10 06:25 PM
    i feel that its unfair to only market it to girls when there are plenty of guys who would want one
    04-28-10 06:48 PM
    My girlfriend wants one to replace her 8130. I think it looks awesome but I need a big screen personally.
    04-28-10 11:27 PM
    Yeah, It's definitely a sweet looking phone and I'd like to have one but the screen is just a bit too small for my likings. I'll probably grab one as a back-up though
    04-28-10 11:35 PM
    The pink color is definitely for the girls.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    04-28-10 11:37 PM
    their marketing strategy is making me question if i should buy the pearl. i personally love the form factor because i can text crazy fast with the suretype, but i dont want to sport a phone and then have people look at me funny for having a "girly" phone. the image of a phone is also important.
    04-29-10 01:04 AM
    Your problem is that you are concerned about people looking at you funny because of a phone you use. That's what makes you 'girly'. Not the phone itself.

You want to feel more manly with a Pearl? Put a skull and crossbones sticker on the back of it and walk around yelling into it like you are at a pre-fight boxing press conference.

OR... You can remember... It's just a phone.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    04-29-10 02:39 AM
    Pearls are cool but no need to get one unless space or form factor is really an issue. Other BB handsets are so much easier to live with and have better specs and full QWERTY, hard to justify a Pearl for most people.
    04-29-10 07:00 AM
    Pearls are cool but no need to get one unless space or form factor is really an issue. Other BB handsets are so much easier to live with and have better specs and full QWERTY, hard to justify a Pearl for most people.
    This guy wants one. The form factor actually is the appeal for me.

Specs? Really? Have you seen them? It's the same as the 9700 right now (except for the physical screen shape and size).

And the keyboard is just fine and very easy. In fact, many who use it have a harder time going back to a qwerty with smaller individual buttons.
    Last edited by joeldf; 04-29-10 at 08:14 AM.
    04-29-10 08:11 AM
    I don't care if its a 'girl phone'. I'd totally rock one after my previous pearls, but I'd rather have the bigger screen. Although this stupid keyboard is giving me the urge to switch when it comes out.. ahhh decisions.
    04-29-10 08:21 AM
    This guy wants one. The form factor actually is the appeal for me.

Specs? Really? Have you seen them? It's the same as the 9700 right now (except for the physical screen shape and size).

And the keyboard is just fine and very easy. In fact, many who use it have a harder time going back to a qwerty with smaller individual buttons.
    Like I said you really have to want one to choose it over a standard QWERTY phone. Not saying nobody wants one, obviously do sell some.

You're right on the specs, I was wrong- I was thinking there was a previous 3G and didn't realize he was talking about the 9100. That's a lot of phone in a small package. Still, I think the standard unit has a broader appeal and the Pearl will always be a niche item. At the price point now you can get a 9700 for the same price, so I don't think the 9100 is going to be a hot seller compared to if they would have priced it 50 or a hundred dollars less.
    04-29-10 08:41 AM
    the pearl series is not for girls only. michael weston in burn notice uses a pearl. hotch in one of my favorite tv series-criminal minds uses a pearl. the small size does not necessarily imply its a phone for ladies only. then how come many women use the bold 9000 if it is considered a "manly" phone. so saying pearls are for girls is an overstatement. its not a shame for men to have pearls. yea we don't wear pearl necklaces lol. for me suretype is no sweat. i used to fly on it with my 8100.
    04-29-10 09:29 AM
    So we make judgements based on TV series? LOL
    04-29-10 09:37 AM
    So we make judgements based on TV series? LOL
    just wanted to get my opinion out. it doesn't have to necessarily be tv series. but the fact of the matter is that the pearl is an option for both sexes.
    04-29-10 09:45 AM
    the pearl is not for girls only. it's for berry users that like the smaller, easily pocket-able form factor. ie for those that don't like being "that guy (or girl)" wearing their phone on their belt. not to mention that suretype is REALLY user friendly once you've used it for a while.

overall the only downside i see after being a pearl user since the day it hit vzw (almost 3 years ago), is screen size. but it's perfectly acceptable and something i can accept and live with. for the luxury of being able to easily pocket my phone. definitely looking forward to the higher resolution screen on the new pearl.

all i can say, is "hurry it up with the 9130!!! come on already!!".
    04-29-10 05:09 PM
    I don't think it a girl's phone. I think its a great phone but reading emails and texting. I would buy one.
    04-30-10 03:58 PM
    I just feel that its not fair of RIM to market it to women when there are plenty of men who would love to buy this phone
    04-30-10 08:19 PM
    This is the most excited I've been about a new BlackBerry in a while!

Having used the Pearl 8130 and currently using the Pearl Flip, I've always wanted a "Super Pearl" (Pearl with the specs of a Bold/Tour). And I got my wish!

There is nothing feminine with wanting to have a compact, simple and yet still powerful BlackBerry. All BB devices are for everybody and that's one of the beauties of having a BlackBerry, there are different styles for different people.

Can't wait to get it on CDMA.
    05-01-10 10:17 AM
    How did I know that when this thing finally got announced, this topic would come back up?
    05-01-10 06:09 PM
    Maybe RIM ditch the "Pearl" name and stick with "Striker"? Or go back to "Stealth"; the code name for the 8100. After all where is the pearl, it's now a trackpad?!?
    05-02-10 06:30 AM
    Maybe RIM ditch the "Pearl" name and stick with "Striker"? Or go back to "Stealth"; the code name for the 8100. After all where is the pearl, it's now a trackpad?!?
    The Pearl name had nothing to do with the trackball.
    05-02-10 01:03 PM
    Its already announced on RIMs website.... so its too late to change the name
    anyway.
    05-02-10 04:15 PM
    You cannot please everyone. Focus on making yourself happy first.
    If you care about what others think, then your just putting more weight on your shoulders.

Im a guy and I will be purchasing a Pearl 3G.
    05-02-10 04:30 PM
    its foolish to discriminate between male and female when it comes to phones. pink is for girls and blue is boys comparison is no longer valid in today's world. its ok for guys to wear pink and girls to wear blue. earrings apply to both sexes too. rim should have had a guy in that promotional video holding one as well.as a guy i have no problem having this replace my king trusty bold 9000. i feel a lightweight phone is better for me when im out and about.
    05-02-10 04:44 PM
81 123 ...
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD