OK so I've tried contacting RIM first and they didn't even read my post based on their reply. So I am trying here.

"I have been working on this for the last 2 hours and it's kicking my ****. My 8100 will not connect via USB. My computer doesn't recognize it. I turned off power management on the USB hubs, it is connected to a rear usb port, I have done a clean uninstall and reinstall.

My device is not listed under the device manager: under USB or other devices. nothing at all. I don't get a new hardware pop-up when i plug it in, however it does charge. Therefore desktop manager doesn't recognize it, or device manager.

I am on XP and running 4.2.1 on the phone. I have not had blackberry software on this computer since I did a reformat a few months ago. The last install and uninstall were both done today. with the 5.0 DTM software."

I have also tried installing the software on my laptop and netbook with the same result. I also made sure i have the right mass media mode in place and I get the same result. Anyone else have the same issue?

Here's my link from the blackberry forums to show what they've recommended.

It won't let me post the link, but it looks like this XXXX://bit.ly/3otpcE replace XXXX with HTTP

Thank you
    10-18-09 06:15 PM
    You probably need a different version of DM...

Check here T-Mobile Software Updates

I'm running v. 4.7 of DM on my PC.
    10-18-09 10:50 PM
    OK so I've tried contacting RIM first and they didn't even read my post based on their reply. So I am trying here.

"I have been working on this for the last 2 hours and it's kicking my ****. My 8100 will not connect via USB. My computer doesn't recognize it. I turned off power management on the USB hubs, it is connected to a rear usb port, I have done a clean uninstall and reinstall.

My device is not listed under the device manager: under USB or other devices. nothing at all. I don't get a new hardware pop-up when i plug it in, however it does charge. Therefore desktop manager doesn't recognize it, or device manager.

I am on XP and running 4.2.1 on the phone. I have not had blackberry software on this computer since I did a reformat a few months ago. The last install and uninstall were both done today. with the 5.0 DTM software."

I have also tried installing the software on my laptop and netbook with the same result. I also made sure i have the right mass media mode in place and I get the same result. Anyone else have the same issue?

Here's my link from the blackberry forums to show what they've recommended.

It won't let me post the link, but it looks like this XXXX://bit.ly/3otpcE replace XXXX with HTTP

Thank you
    I think its something to do with drivers. Try looking at the drivers information in your PC. The fila name RimUsB.sys should be located in the location C:\WINDOWS\system32\drivers. Update the driver if the current one is not compatile with your phone device. You can do this by opening the BlackBerry smart phone properties from Universal Serial Bus controllers from your PC device manager.

Check for drivers from
    10-19-09 03:48 AM
    You probably need a different version of DM...

Check here [REMOVED]

I'm running v. 4.7 of DM on my PC.
    I am running 5.0 the most recent version off the blackberry site. it says anything over 4.2 will work with the 8100
    10-19-09 04:07 AM
    I think its something to do with drivers. Try looking at the drivers information in your PC. The fila name RimUsB.sys should be located in the location C:\WINDOWS\system32\drivers. Update the driver if the current one is not compatile with your phone device. You can do this by opening the BlackBerry smart phone properties from Universal Serial Bus controllers from your PC device manager.

Check for drivers from
    the item is not listed under the universal serial bus. It is not being recognized at all, that's the issue. The device does not show under other devices either
    10-19-09 04:11 AM
    Install blackberry USB and Modem driver from here. https://www.blackberry.com/Downloads...CCD399595E585A
    10-19-09 07:08 AM
    I am running 5.0 the most recent version off the blackberry site. it says anything over 4.2 will work with the 8100
    But it didn't work....
    10-19-09 12:50 PM
    Install blackberry USB and Modem driver from here. link removed
    Fail, didn't work...

But it didn't work....
    correct nothing is working
    10-19-09 07:30 PM
    I've have the same issue before. Once it turned out to be a bad usb cord. Tried another and had it work. Time before that I had a replacement that had a bad usb port. You port could be bad or worn out.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    10-19-09 07:48 PM
    I've have the same issue before. Once it turned out to be a bad usb cord. Tried another and had it work. Time before that I had a replacement that had a bad usb port. You port could be bad or worn out.

yeah this is a refurb, from asurion. i'll never do insurance with them again. horrible horrible horrible. My USB cord charges the phone, works with my gf's phone. just no pc love. the 9700 can't come soon enough
    10-19-09 07:53 PM
    If you got a refurb from asurion. You should complain. As you should have gotten a new in box.

10-19-09 09:12 PM
    If you got a refurb from asurion. You should complain. As you should have gotten a new in box.

Yeah... that wasn't the case. I think the deal with t-mobile is send a refurb first. if no refurbs then send a new. their might be different levels of insurance though. It was also for a lost phone.
    10-19-09 09:14 PM
    yeah this is a refurb, from asurion. i'll never do insurance with them again. horrible horrible horrible. My USB cord charges the phone, works with my gf's phone. just no pc love. the 9700 can't come soon enough
    Well... I am sorry you could not get it to be recognized by your PC. I would still suggest trying to uninstally your DM and go to a lower version, as a last try. There's something about the T-Mobile Pearls that their software is touchy.

Anyway, hope to see you in the 9700 forum! Good luck!
    10-21-09 11:36 AM
    i have a similar problem, the only difference is that my device manager recognizes it.(the phone memory that).
    the memory card however, is not recognized at all. ive done everything conceiveable. and my computer still doesnt recognize the memory card. i can explore it with my phone, but from my computer... nothing... help would be appreciated
    10-21-09 12:53 PM
    Put your memory card in a dedicated reader and see if the PC will recognize your files on it.
    10-22-09 01:39 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD