First-time Blackberry owner here! So far so good. I haven't been able to password-protect the folders in my media card, though. Help!
    05-21-09 11:40 PM
    Welcome to the forums. You can set a password for the whole phone so when its locked no one can get in your files and if you set encryption to on for the media card, it can't be opened out of the phone. There is no option for password protecting individual files or folders.
    05-22-09 06:28 AM
    You should check into this it might help you...

http://forums.crackberry.com/f35/fil...t-files-40419/

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    05-22-09 06:38 AM
    Thanks for your replies, zwood and mwdb4au.

All I want to do is prevent access to the media card. I don't want to lock the phone. In Options>Memory, I set the Encryption Code to Security Password and Encrypt Media Files to Yes. This appears to lock the phone, though, because every time I close it, I'm asked for the password when I open it up again.

Is there something else I should be doing?
    05-24-09 08:33 PM
    and if you set encryption to on for the media card, it can't be opened out of the phone.
    What does this mean and how do u do it? Please?
    05-28-09 10:46 PM
    If you turn on encryption for the media card no one can take that card to another device and access the data without your password. Or you can set it to device encryption which makes the card unreadable out of your phone.
    To set it up go to options > memory > encryption mode and set it to the type of method you want. If you are uncertain of the different types, click menu and select help when you are in the memory options.
    05-28-09 11:14 PM
    If you turn on encryption for the media card no one can take that card to another device and access the data without your password. Or you can set it to device encryption which makes the card unreadable out of your phone.
    To set it up go to options > memory > encryption mode and set it to the type of method you want. If you are uncertain of the different types, click menu and select help when you are in the memory options.
    Thank you so much. I set it Security Password+ Device. Hopefully didn't screw up anything.
    05-29-09 09:38 PM
    Now your data will be safe. Just remember that with device encryption you will need to connect the phone to your pc to access the SD card. If you try to use a card reader the PC won't be able to read the card.
    05-29-09 09:48 PM
    Now your data will be safe. Just remember that with device encryption you will need to connect the phone to your pc to access the SD card. If you try to use a card reader the PC won't be able to read the card.
    I was just going to ask if I set Encryption mode for the device how the card won't be readable out of the device, but u just answered my question. Very usefull info, didn't know that at all. Thank u so much!
    05-29-09 10:33 PM
    Is the device encryption reversible? If you want to go back to being able to read the card outside the device, turn it to "none" again? Is this how it works? Also, is there a "101" guide on the whole security/encryption process?
    08-24-09 02:38 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD