So here we are guys. Every other device on the planet got their update as promised(even the 8330), yet we still sit here in 4.6 land. What gives? Love to hear everyone's thoughts.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    03-12-10 02:31 PM
    I just bought a pearl flip 8230 as a compliment to my blackberry tour and am wondering the same thing. I hope since Verizon has decided not to keep the pearl flip for sale this doesn't hurt the release of 5.0. It was promised as listed by RIM and I hope they keep their word because the 5.0.0.230 leak just wasn't the best leak...
    03-12-10 04:50 PM
    I tried asking the same question on the forums on T-mobile but got nothing.
    When will OS 5 for the Blackberry Pearl 8220 Flip ... - T-Mobile Community
    03-13-10 02:47 AM
    There's a 5.0.0.230 leak for the 8230 in the VIP section of bbhybrids.com.
    03-19-10 03:43 PM
    I am also wondering where the 5.0 OS for the 8230. I tried the one on bbhybrids but it wouldn't work for my 8230. idk why though.
    03-20-10 02:45 PM
    Anyone have a link to one of the hybrids?

03-20-10 08:36 PM
    This is the main issue with RIM too slow with updates and newer technology. I know Vzw and tmo have to release the 5 0 but they could push the carriers a little more. Also the pearl owners seem to be on the bottom of the food chain when it comes to rim. Personally I think the flip is a great device and hope a track pad model gets released like the 9100 striker. I tried the android devices but the flip is much better device for ease of use. We need some love in the flip circle!

Last edited by ESN; 03-21-10 at 11:35 AM.
    03-20-10 09:03 PM
    I am also wondering where the 5.0 OS for the 8230. I tried the one on bbhybrids but it wouldn't work for my 8230. idk why though.
    Did you delete the vendor.xml file?

03-21-10 11:38 AM
    This is the main issue with RIM too slow with updates and newer technology. I know Vzw and tmo have to release the 5 0 but they could push the carriers a little more. Also the pearl owners seem to be on the bottom of the food chain when it comes to rim. Personally I think the flip is a great device and hope a track pad model gets released like the 9100 striker. I tried the android devices but the flip is much better device for ease of use. We need some love in the flip circle!

Amen. But when it comes down to it all they care about is market performance. The only reason the 8330 has their release is because it's a popular device and got picked up by a new carrier. I don't see anyone picking up the poor selling flip. If the carriers have the OS and just aren't releasing it than shame on them, as this is a major update that would improve their customers experience. But the fact that no carrier around the WORLD has released a 5.0 makes me wonder. Geez the 8220 never even got a leak! Those curve and tour owners would be crying bloody murder if they were us.

03-22-10 10:45 AM
    Amen. But when it comes down to it all they care about is market performance. The only reason the 8330 has their release is because it's a popular device and got picked up by a new carrier. I don't see anyone picking up the poor selling flip. If the carriers have the OS and just aren't releasing it than shame on them, as this is a major update that would improve their customers experience. But the fact that no carrier around the WORLD has released a 5.0 makes me wonder. Geez the 8220 never even got a leak! Those curve and tour owners would be crying bloody murder if they were us.

I think the android platform is going to put Rim out of bussiness soon! I cant believe how far behind they are compared to android.
    03-22-10 12:21 PM
    Check this out: I just got a brand new 8230. I've been using 9530 and 9550 for quite a while now; done lots of upgrades and hybrid installing. Never had a problem. I went to install the 5.0.0.230 from bbhybrids V.I.P. section. Desktop Manager recognized it, but would not bring it up to install. When I tried loader.exe, it would not even see it. So...I wiped the phone with jl_cmdr. Then opened loader.exe, and voila! There was the 5.0.0.230. Installed flawlessly. Give it a try (wipe your phone first). It worked for me!
    03-22-10 02:47 PM
    Update: everything works great, except no browser icon. Browser installed and shows up under Options>Applications. Rebooted, reregistered, resent service books, half a dozen times...no luck. Any ideas?

03-22-10 06:54 PM
    Update: everything works great, except no browser icon. Browser installed and shows up under Options>Applications. Rebooted, reregistered, resent service books, half a dozen times...no luck. Any ideas?

Resend host routing tables.
    03-22-10 09:54 PM
    Yeah, when I said "reregistered", that's what I meant. No luck.

Edit: Downgraded to 4.6.1.309. Now everything works. Oh well....

Last edited by shivaji; 03-23-10 at 08:22 AM.
    03-22-10 11:04 PM
    That leak is so outdated and has issues mah man. I wouldn't even bother! Still waiting on a damn 5.0!! What gives here!??? it's BS
    03-23-10 12:50 AM

Had the same problem and got it solved. Basically there is something wrong when Verizon tries to push the Browser service book down. I think it has something to do with the Bing as default search provider upgrade that they did awhile back because it worked flawlessly before that. Anyway, you need the 4.6 service books with the 5.0 OS to get it working. Here is a thread on how to get it working: http://forums.crackberry.com/f95/tro...-5-0-a-386977/
    03-23-10 10:07 AM
    I have been using the 5.0 upgrade for a long while on my flip. I only had two issues. One was that Blackberry World wouldn't work. It now does with the most current version. The other issue was that the notification for text messages doesn't show on the outside screen. Emails, etc work fine with the notification, but text messages do not.

Threaded SMS is well worth the problem of no update on the external screen.
    03-28-10 01:11 AM
    Where is everyone getting the hybrid 5.0's?
    04-01-10 11:47 PM
    Where is everyone getting the hybrid 5.0's?
    bbhybrids.net

5.0.0.230_.344 is in public download section.

5.0.0.230_.344_.348 is in the VIP download section.

I guess people are having varying degrees of luck with these. For me, everything worked fine except GPS did not work at all.

Also, see post #16 above concerning Service Books (including post #2 in the link in that post). Otherwise your Browser icon will be absent.

Have fun and good luck!
    04-02-10 09:44 AM
    Now here's one question, my gf has an 8220, and the only 5.0 option that has been leaked, or that I can find period, is of course for the 8230. So, I'm assuming that since the 8230 is cdma and the 8220 is gsm that you probably can't make it work straight out like that, but I'm wondering if there's a way to hybrid it to work.. Or, at least some sort of ray of hope in getting 5.0 on an 8220, at least.
    Thanks for any ideas.
    04-03-10 02:42 PM
    I think its RIM Fault since the build was too buggy for T-Mobile to release. Also that RIM stopped making any software development. I too hope they do make a update but I gotten to the point that that will be a slim chance.

04-11-10 04:22 AM
    For the 8230 owners RIM released the 5.0 for us just waiting for the big red to do the same!

04-12-10 12:29 PM
    For the 8230 owners RIM released the 5.0 for us just waiting for the big red to do the same!

What build? 5.0.0.??? When did RIM release it?
    04-12-10 01:35 PM
    Is this for real...any official releases, out or leaked yet?
    04-18-10 02:03 PM
    What no love from RIM for the 8220 users?
    04-18-10 02:36 PM
26 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD