After my first blissful month of Blackberry Pearl ownership on O2 with the Blackberry Data tariff, I've JUST discovered that actually, Opera mini incurs a data charge, and that the 'unlimited data' only applies if I specifically use the Blacberry browser. I don't understand!

Well, I do. It's because Opera is using the O2 apn. However, all the Blackberry usage is going through the O2 backbone so to speak, so why am I being charged ANYTHING extra for browsng in ANY form from my Blackberry?

I've just called O2 and they guy I spoke to called a colleague who was a Blackberry person and they said I shou;dn't be getting charged like that, so they're putting a credit through for me that I'll hear about in the next 24 hours, but in the meantime, what's the official word on this?

I've just deleted the O2 APN details on my phone and restarted the phone itself to ensure I don't use them again by mistake just in case. Having done that, what about stuff like Google maps etc? Basically, how can I tell now whether any data I'm receiving or sending is going through Blackberry.net and not O2?
    Last edited by mr-o; 10-15-07 at 05:15 AM.
    10-15-07 05:04 AM
    I am also an O2 user.

Now i have Opera on my BB to and use it. But i know i dont get charged for it and i use about 35-40mb per month on my BB - I would make sure you follow it up with O2.

Make sure your APN Settings are correct:

APN: mobile.o2.co.uk
    U/N: mobileweb
    P/W: password
    10-15-07 03:38 PM
    Hiya,

That's useful to knowm, about you not paying extra. Can I ask, are you paying the �10 Blackberry unlimited data tariff? That's what I'm on.

I did have those exact APN settings but their billing seemed to think that anything that used the O2 APN as opposed to being sent direct through the Blackberry.net server was subject to O2 data billing. However, like I say someone there seemed to think otherwise, but now I don't know what uses what and I'm scared to use anything other than push email or the rubbish Blackberry browser.
    10-16-07 05:48 AM
    Anyone able to shed light on this problem? Why won't Opera work on the BB data tariff, but Google Maps does?
    01-09-08 09:43 AM
    I do not know why Opera Mini uses the o2 wap but this o2wap data and BB data carry on is confusing to say the least.

I am presently corresponding with o2 as to obtaining a data plan for a 'used' Blackberry pearl and first of all they told me I could not have one unless I purchased a device form them. Luckily I knew that they had a 'stand alone' Blackberry Plan for �15 and I am presently trying to find out if I can combine this with an online SIM and therefore get it for �10 as they say you can get it for �10 with a voice plan and an online SIM is a voice plan.

Anyhow, geting back to the o2 wap charges, this subject came up whilst corresponding with o2 and they mentioned the wap charges ( �1 per MB!!!). I am presently querying this as they are adding o2 wap automatically along with the BB browser so the user has no choice. Basically as far as I am concernd the aim of both is to get you to the internet so why the seperate charges?? I have not yet had a reply.

Originally I had asked them if I could have o2 active wap on My Pearl (using a pay and go sim card) and they said there were no setting for this!!!! I told them they were talking tosh as there clearly are setting if they are giving them to me by default when I get a BB Plan. Again I await a reply!

To be honest this has put me off signing up to o2 a bit. T mobile's plan (1GB unlimited as oppesed to 200MB) is better but their coverage is not so good here in Northern Ireland I beleive. Also my pearl is locked to o2 and I have been with them for a long time on pay and go.

My desire for a Blackberry is getting the better of me and now that I have the device I may just sign up for whatever they offer!!
    01-09-08 03:47 PM
    Hi

I also wanted to use Opera Mini on my BB 'unlimited' internet browsing plan. Like others I assumed the mobile.o2.co.uk APN was part of the plan but had a shock when the 1st months bill arrived (O2 waived the charges though). I considered ditching the BB plan & going for the O2 200MB web bolt-on to use Opera but this apparently won't work. After many phone calls to O2 'support' I decided to email them on the subject & this is their reply:

"If you were to change to the Web bolt-on you would lose the Blackberry service. The Web Browser bolt-on for �7.50 is only for WAP usage through wap.o2.co.uk not mobile.o2.co.uk. The bolt-on to use mobile.o2.co.uk is �30.00 per month but this is unlimited. A fair use of 200MB per month applies to the O2 Web Bolt On. A fair use of 3GB per month applies to O2 Web Max"

So to use Opera Mini browser I have to splash out �30/month or pay �'s/MB. Looks like I'll have to put up with the awful BB browser (it doesn't work with many websites I need to access).

One thing I don't understand is how Mobishark gets around the problem. If they can use the Blackberry.net APN to give a tethered modem under the BB plan (i.e. without using mobile.o2.co.uk) then why can't Opera? Does any one know?

Dave
    01-13-08 03:53 AM
    This is crazy! I suggest a call to ofcom, reason being is that the user has no idea when they are in a wap/mobile web chargeable area whilst using their device.
    I currently have a nokia 6120 classic with '3' and their intenet package is �5 for 1GB further more they have free messenger, ebay etc and they TELL you when you move into a chargeable area and also give you the choice of not going there. (the chargeable area with '3' is included in the �5 package)Therefore it is all up front and the user has a choice. This is what o2 needs to do.
    They have never replied to my email about wap charges but the good news is that I can get the �10 Blackberry Plan with an online simplicity sim.
    I will be very careful on how I use data when I get my plan!
    Last edited by Hazysky; 01-13-08 at 06:36 AM.
    01-13-08 06:32 AM
    Ok, does Opera mini actually use o2 wap or o2 mobile web? As now on O2, O2 wap is actually included in the �10 tariff.
    02-09-08 02:55 PM
    O2 Mobile Web as far as I know. I had the O2 Mobile Web settings entered into my Blackberry to make Opera work. When I remove those settings, it doesn't work.

Do you have a link to an official O2 page that says O2 Wap is now part of the Blackberry �10 data tariff, and a link to a page that details the O2 Wap data settings?
    02-09-08 04:50 PM
    Here
    BlackBerry from O2 - O2 Unlimited BlackBerry tariff for consumers

Scroll down to the PDF pricing document at the the bottom.

NOTE that mobile web is still subject to extra charges.
    02-09-08 05:00 PM
    one issue could be you have UNLIMITED BB email andBB browser
    NOT web access
    i also thought this is bullocks
    Im on rogers in canada
    02-12-08 03:55 PM
    Ive heard that Rogers is very expensive so I suppose we mustn't grumble too much.

O2 actually has 3 data settings on the BB - BB Browser, o2 wap and mobileweb.

Top and bottom of it is that some people get Opera to work and others cannot. Some get extra charges and some do not (very confusing) I can't. Mind you I do not mind the BB browser too much.
    02-12-08 04:21 PM
    yea rogers is bullocks
    i got a 4mb YEA 4MB BB plan for 25$
    terrible
    Unlimited Data does not exsist YET on rogers
    however CDMA carriers do
    but i like the GSM freedom (unlocking etc)
    oh well
    02-12-08 04:31 PM
    We don't have CDMA here and I beleive they do not use sim cards.... that's weird!!
    02-12-08 04:34 PM
    haha yea europe does not have CDMA
    and yes no SIM cards
    i does however pprovide more security
    IE phone gets stolen
    call it in
    it no longer works or when person brings it in to activate it wont allow them to do it

however GSM
    swipe, switch, enjoy haha

not that i ever have done that, ever
    really
    i never
    02-12-08 04:40 PM
    That made me laugh!!!

I'm away to bed now, almost 11pm here.

Night.
    02-12-08 04:57 PM
    grrr im having the same trouble, i am being told something else each time i call. All i wanted to know is whether I could have the simplicity simcard on my blackberry and I get a good ole YES. however, can i use the blackberry's internet to receive email the answer is still unsure. I asked 12 people from o2 and all told me maybe not, maybe so, if you add this, get that - OH MY WORD. If they'd be honest and just tell me! any ideas anyone???
    05-19-08 10:26 AM
    In the U.S we have truely unlimited data. No charges for opera mini. There is alot of people outside the states that have the same problem......
    05-19-08 01:55 PM
    Opera Mini does not go via the Blackberry Internet. It is the only browser that does this. Look at the OperaMini Please understand the problem and fix Blackberry BIS - a simple fix saves headache for BB users - Opera Mini - Opera Community.
    05-20-08 01:42 AM
    I have the simplicity 25 sim with the blackberry bolt on so you can have a blackberry plan on this sim card. The bolt on is the blackberry internet service tariff for �10.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    05-20-08 02:26 AM
    It's really confusing with the different data services from 02, that's why I've never installed Opera as I've never been sure if I'll be charged. Its a shame that there's alot of great apps out there we can't use due to location or uncertainty of costs. I think UK carriers need to be clearer & more knowledgeable in BB as the more consumers buy them. It seems to be a hit or a miss at moment, one guy i spoke to knew loads of helpful stuff, another guy i spoke to in the shop....well I knew more than he did.

I don't want to move from O2 as i get brilliant coverage where i live, friends who have other carriers don't get the same reception.

Does anyone know if Viigo concurs costs above the O2 unlimited plan ? i would like to install it but not sure if I'll be hit every time feeds come through.
    05-20-08 05:25 AM
    I use Viigo with no extra charge. The only application that I have come across that incurs an extra charge because it uses the o2 mobileweb settings is Opera Mini.

I emailed o2 recently about opera mini & the mobileweb settings & the reply I got was :-

"As correctly mentioned by you, if you access the Internet via mobile.o2.co.uk then it won't be included in your BlackBerry� Unlimited High Voice Bolt On allowance. This Bolt On includes your data usage via wap.o2.co.uk and blackberry.net.

When you're using mobile.o2.co.uk, you're accessing the Internet at faster speeds and can download more in a short space of time. For more details, please visit the link below:

What is Mobile Web? - Ways to connect - Services - O2

I can understand your concern, as you want us to include the usage via mobile.o2.co.uk in our BlackBerry� Unlimited High Voice Bolt On allowance.

We don't have an exact date when the usage via mobile.o2.co.uk would be included in BlackBerry� Unlimited High Voice Bolt On allowance. However, I can assure you that we always give our customers the best options for their accounts.

We need feedback such as yours to help us identify any area of our service, which our customers feel is in need of review. Changes are then made on a regular basis, which reflect what our customers are telling us."

The more o2 users complain about this the more likely it is that mobileweb use will be included in the 200mb allowance in the future. I also pointed out to them that t mobile & orange users do not get charged extra for using Opera mini.

05-20-08 05:36 AM
    That's a fairly definitive answer then.....Odd that they wait for people to complain before they consider things....surely they should have their finger on the pulse & know what's going on in the BB world if they support it....they only need to look at this site to find out everything & then update their system / chargers to incorporate what's new & popular.

They could just have a "suggestions box" on their website rather than have to search through their site for customer services.

p.s - Thanks for the info on Viigo, will download it.
    05-20-08 06:42 AM
    Well you really need to read the link in my earlier post. This explains that RIM ahave specifically barred OperaMini from their datalink - I wonder why (strains of Internet Explorer here).

It may be that O's marketing people do not know of this problem but I bet that BT do.

Someone needs to read and understand the thread in my post and then call O2/BT and see if a better deal for you folk can be had through educating your carrier. Because this, without question, is the problem.
    05-20-08 05:44 PM
    Hiya Pete

I have tried educating o2 but they are a bit stubborn! I think they will include mobileweb use in the data allowance eventually.

Opera mini is the only problem, other applications are fine.

GSCOTT. If you do not have the mobileweb settings in the TCP fields in your phone then there is no danger of any applications using this gateway to the net.

05-20-08 06:02 PM
28 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD