Will the new Pearl 9100 work on Bell, Telus and Rogers? I am thinking of purchasing the phone, but would like to know if it is possible to move the phone from one carrier to the next. Is the phone identical or are there differences between the phone being sold by the three carriers.

I understand the coverage will be different from carrier to carrier.

Things I expect.
    1. activation fee
    2. possible unlocking of phone
    3. change SIM card

Am I missing something else?
    06-01-10 01:49 PM
    Not familiar with the carriers there, but if any are CDMA (like our Sprint/Verizon), than you won't be able to move to that carrier (Or likely, from, either). Here in the US we also have two different bands for GSM 3g coverage, so here an at&t branded phone won't be able to access t-mobile's 3g services and vice versa when switching the sim back and forth.
    06-01-10 02:11 PM
    Yes, they will work on all 3 carriers. On Rogers' only network (HSPA) and on Telus / Bells 3G+ (HSPA+) networks. It will NOT work on Telus or Bells CDMA network.

However, why would you want to have 3 contracts on the go? That seems a little counterproductive, especially considering Telus and Bells coverage is EXACTLY the same (they share towers / costs / connections) and it's still bigger than Rogers by quit a chunk.
    06-01-10 02:20 PM
    I don't want three contracts, but am looking to go to one carrier with my spouse and our contracts have different contract end dates, etc. We can get one new phone now and then need to determine which carrier is best for a shared plan, etc. once both contracts have finished. Basically, I want portability between the carriers and don't want to be restricted by the phone selected now.

Also, any suggestions on where to buy an unlocked phone in Canada? (puremobile.ca, others?)
    06-01-10 02:58 PM
    Um, as far as the 9100 this soon after release? (and it's only out on Telus so far, isn't it?) No idea.

Might be easier to purchase it from whatever carrier OOC and then go to an unlocking shop / use an online purchase to unlock.
    06-02-10 06:51 PM
    Not on Bells site but a friend who works there says they're in stores now
    06-03-10 11:01 AM
    Bell, Telus and Rogers have been releasing them throughout this week with limited stocks. Bell has a slight advantage over Telus coverage even though they are said to be the same because they have a roaming partner with Rogers hsdpa network in Saskatchewan and Manitoba now.
    06-06-10 09:56 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD