Just got a flip, love it (aside from a few niggles that i blame the OS for, not the phone itself)

I am in LOVE with the front screen. The single piece of black plastic on the cover just looks really sexy and slick to me. Now if I am not mistaken the flip is similarly featured to the 83xx curve and more featured than the 81xx pearl family, both of which have far more support than the flip. The disrespect towards the flip strikes me as simply fans emotionally attached to a brand so much that they feel that the brand is obligated to provide them with everything they want. It happens all the time, and is part of human nature (one of the crappier parts). Anyways anything that is seen as more "mainstream" makes fans feel threatened that their precious brand may not cater to them exclusively in the future so they start spewing stuff like the product in question isn't a "true" part of the brand and other stuff like that. These type of fans are actually the worst part of many brands and are detrimental to the company.

Considering that this hubbub is over the FORM FACTOR OF ONE PHONE makes it all the more ridiculous. It is quite a feat to make iPhone users seem normal in comparison.
    :P
    09-01-09 11:01 AM
    It's also been months since an OS update. And it seems that there is not as much help here on the boards for issues with this device as there is for others...
    09-01-09 02:18 PM
    Ive had at least one of every kind of bb and honestly the only one I personally like better then the flip is the 8900 ohh my bad ive never had a 9630 or 8520 so i didnt have them all but I love my flip its the best, I hope they come out with another advanced flip model
    09-03-09 04:42 AM
    It's also been months since an OS update. And it seems that there is not as much help here on the boards for issues with this device as there is for others...
    8220 OS Update - Dated 9/1/2009.

8230 OS Update - Dated 6/30/2009 but updated on 8/26/2009 when another, even newer OS became available.
    09-03-09 02:38 PM
    Also here are a few comments from an article entitled "What to expect from RIM in 2009: The year of the upgrades" -

The BlackBerry 9100 �Striker�
    While nothing is really known about the 9100, we�re expecting updates shortly. We do know that this will be the updated BlackBerry Pearl and I can bet you that, like all these other devices, it will be slightly upgraded in terms of performance as well as form factor, but nothing to really brag about.
    While I can�t be certain because again, this device hasn�t surfaced, I can guess that it won�t have a tremendously better camera. This is the recommended feature for a BlackBerry Pearl user. A Pearl user target market is a consumer who likes a small and compact form factor. This user would benefit tremendously from a really nice camera and video setup. A camera setup much like the N97 would be a welcomed feature. The Pearl 9100 would ideally come with a 5 MP, 2592�1944 pixels, Carl Zeiss optics, autofocus, LED flash, video light and VGA at 30fps.......
    Anyway, it will be a potential upgrade.
    09-03-09 02:51 PM
    Are you guys freaking kidding me?

1. its a flip! Who uses flip phones these days?

2. suretype key is stupid.. full qwerty typing is standard.

3. its a pearl... the lowest blackberry on the totem pole.. why should anyone give respect to it?

4. screen size is laughable.

I'm speechless to see that this device is even being sold..
    What a waste of time and money. I'd be embarrassed to be seen with a lowly device like this.
    I have one and I love it. It's far more reliable than my storm but it serves the purpose of being small and yet has almost all the utility of my storm. The only thing that trully seems unerwhelming is web surfing. Email, messages, video, pictures... they are all really good for such a small device.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    09-03-09 03:11 PM
    I've played around with a few BBs and personally I prefer the form factor and yay no more **** dialing for me!! Eveyone has their preferences. I chose the flip as my latest toy and do not regret it.
    09-30-09 04:59 PM
    Yes- I do believe that there is NO respect for the Flip!

People forget the original Pearl was the 1st multimedia BB when it was released in late 2006. If it wasn't for the Pearl: we wouldn't have a trackball, a camera, a music player, and the appeal of consumers. It wasn't long ago that BBs were known for being strictly-business devices that were dull and boring. Look at my signature below and you'll see that my first 2 BBs didn't even have cameras!

The Pearl attracted a different market for RIM and the Pearl Flip was made to do the same thing again. This time, it was to capture the market of flip-phone lovers (a substantial percentage of people in North America).

I've been a Pearl user for almost 2 years (my business phone) and I've had the Flip for almost a week. And I'm in love with it! I'm reminded why I've enjoyed having a Pearl for so long.

I don't feel embarassed to have Pearl Flip. I'm proud that nobody on my 60+ BBM contact list has one. Most of my family and friends with BBs have a Tour, Storm, or Curve. I enjoy being part of the minority of BB users.

And mind you: I've had 2 Curves and a Storm in the past 1.5 years and I currently have a Tour as well. And yet, I'm attached to the Pearl. Only the Curve 8300 Series can match my love of the Pearl devices.
    10-04-09 04:45 AM
    I prefer flip phones, which is why I have one. Otherwise, I probably would have just gotten another Motorola with email capabilities. (I need email & that's the only reason I carry a BB.) If the choice was a Storm or Tour, I'd still have my Motorola W385.
    10-04-09 08:17 PM
    Yes- I do believe that there is NO respect for the Flip!

People forget the original Pearl was the 1st multimedia BB when it was released in late 2006. If it wasn't for the Pearl: we wouldn't have a trackball, a camera, a music player, and the appeal of consumers. It wasn't long ago that BBs were known for being strictly-business devices that were dull and boring. Look at my signature below and you'll see that my first 2 BBs didn't even have cameras!

The Pearl attracted a different market for RIM and the Pearl Flip was made to do the same thing again. This time, it was to capture the market of flip-phone lovers (a substantial percentage of people in North America).

I've been a Pearl user for almost 2 years (my business phone) and I've had the Flip for almost a week. And I'm in love with it! I'm reminded why I've enjoyed having a Pearl for so long.

I don't feel embarassed to have Pearl Flip. I'm proud that nobody on my 60+ BBM contact list has one. Most of my family and friends with BBs have a Tour, Storm, or Curve. I enjoy being part of the minority of BB users.

And mind you: I've had 2 Curves and a Storm in the past 1.5 years and I currently have a Tour as well. And yet, I'm attached to the Pearl. Only the Curve 8300 Series can match my love of the Pearl devices.
    Thanks so much. Very well said! Say no more.
    10-09-09 07:45 PM
    I love my flipberry
    10-12-09 04:26 PM
    I agree as well that the Pearl flip gets no love, it's almost like it was forgotten. For whatever reason many say it's not a true "BlackBerry"
    10-12-09 04:29 PM
    I agree as well that the Pearl flip gets no love, it's almost like it was forgotten. For whatever reason many say it's not a true "BlackBerry"
    LOL yeah those people are idiots.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    10-13-09 11:08 PM
    If u go and check the Hedon Design they just introduced a new free theme for ALL model. 8200 series as well. As far as I know 8220 IS a 8200 series. I downloaded it, didn't even show up on my Flip. Hedon made another cool theme Brass... something can't remember the proper name- all the new devices but the Flip. There is a nice CB theme for all devices they made for some anniversary, cool icons, CB logo everything, u think there is one for the Flip- wrong. It could be because the dual screen but if those few developers who make themes for the Flip can do it, Hedon could do it but obviously they don't care.
    10-14-09 08:06 PM
    There is a nice CB theme for all devices they made for some anniversary, cool icons, CB logo everything, u think there is one for the Flip- wrong. It could be because the dual screen but if those few developers who make themes for the Flip can do it, Hedon could do it but obviously they don't care.
    The crackberry theme for the Flip is currently in Beta:
    http://forums.crackberry.com/f85/cra...esters-322757/
    send them a PM and you can be one of the testers.
    10-14-09 10:54 PM
    1. Yes it's a flip phone. Actually, a lot of people use flip phones these days.

2. I thought I would not like suretype, but, suretype is a lot faster than a full "QWERTY" keyboard.

3. Yes it is a Pearl, and is actually far from the bottom of the totem pole. This Pearl that you call it (which it is) has more internal memory (128mb) than the Curve (96mb). I don't believe that anyone is asking for respect to the phone itself, but that there be more options available for download.

4. The screen is actually the same size as the Curve (sideways...lol). It is bigger than the Pearl though.

If you don't like it, that is just fine. You do NOT need to purchase it. If you are happy with the Curve, then stay with the Curve.

I believe that the Pearl Flip is going to be bigger than you realize.

The Curve is actually in its final days anyway. AND, the Flip has 4.6 OS. Something that seems far off for the Curve, if it ever makes it to that.

I am truly happy with the Flip phone. I like it better than my Curve.

No locking of keys necessary. Just "flip" it closed and... voila!

I also think that the Pearl Flip has a more "business" look to it than the Curve does.

msblueline

*applauds* very well said!!
    11-03-09 10:17 AM
    I personally liked my flip for the first 6 months but after having 4 defective models in a row and tmobile not helping me out any i decieded to upgrade to a curve 8900 on att and have never been happier with my BB and service the only thing i miss is they are both wifi devices except tmobile supports uma an att does not.
    11-03-09 11:22 AM
92 ... 234
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD