Why are so many people having problems installing these OS updates? This is why I'm afraid to even attempt installing these updates that aren't put out by your specific carrier. It seems people end up either bricking their phone, having the install go thru but then experiencing operating lag, end up having the phone go thru endless reboot cycles, or losing certain features that they had prior to doing the upgrade. Why is it so difficult to upgrade the OS?

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    12-10-08 06:46 AM
    god damn it, didn't work. I downloaded the OS, installed it into the computer, deleted vendor, and it still doens't prompt the install. I went to APP loader, and it did nothing.
    God doesn't need a dam. He can walk on water.

You might want to download the correct software...your status says you have an 8100...this OS upgrade is for an 8120.
    12-10-08 01:28 PM
    you are indeed able to stream youtube videos, I am able to view them when my browser config. is set with the support java box checked, support style sheets box checked and the emulation mode is set with Microsoft IE or MS pocket IE. Video quality is obviously crappy/ laggy but it's still pretty sweet to finally have this feature. So far this OS has not caused me any major issues, only a few minor not really worth complaining about
    12-10-08 01:56 PM
    I have an 8120, just never updated. One of the only problems I have with is not being able to hit # on the home screen. I have T-mobile, and I can check my bill using #225#. I have to hit a number, delete the number, then insert #???#.
    12-10-08 09:47 PM
    RIM sent me an email the other day about an upgrade for the OS on my 8120. It is running fine for days now no problems at all. It is 4.5.0.110

12-11-08 09:02 PM
    I have an 8120, just never updated. One of the only problems I have with is not being able to hit # on the home screen. I have T-mobile, and I can check my bill using #225#. I have to hit a number, delete the number, then insert #???#.
    you can also just hit the send button first to bring up the phone app and then hit #225#. That's what I do since I'm using 4.5 too.
    12-12-08 01:01 AM
    hi, the OS seems good, but i've got a problem my data services don't work any more.. anybody knows why? any suggestions how to repair it?
    12-12-08 08:57 AM
    I downloaded the 4.5 OS, upgraded the DM to 4.7...my old OS was 4.3 and I'm with T-mobile. I deleted the Vender.xml file. My phone currently reads 507 with the crossed out circled box. Here's the prob:

The DM doesn't connect to my device, it recognizes the USB and pin, but doesn't connect--in return it doesn't prompt me to upgrade my device and shows no upgrade available under the App loader.

Is there a specific DM version I need for it to recognize my device. Waiting patiently in the world of "507"...

Thanks
    12-13-08 03:43 PM
    Get rid of DM 4.7. Go with 4.6, a lot of people are having problems with the 4.7 DM.
    Hopefully this will help you out.
    12-13-08 04:29 PM
    Why are so many people having problems installing these OS updates? This is why I'm afraid to even attempt installing these updates that aren't put out by your specific carrier. It seems people end up either bricking their phone, having the install go thru but then experiencing operating lag, end up having the phone go thru endless reboot cycles, or losing certain features that they had prior to doing the upgrade. Why is it so difficult to upgrade the OS?

This is an old question, that never seems to get answered. Can anyone give me a simple understanding of what the process is for an upgrade? I have an 8120 from T-Mobile, and would really like v4.5 functionality. Is it safe? I don't understand the fundamental issue of how specific TMO functionality (e.g. MyFaves - which I don't want) can be preserved when using a generic RIM upgrade. Also, why hasn't TMO released anything past v4.3? Does TMO see quality issues, or are they just lazy? Serious question.
    02-08-09 06:30 PM
    The .102 version seems to be the most stable, I upgraded on my 8120 about 3 months or so ago and have had only minor issues-none of which interfere with using my phone, I'm still weary of upgrading even higher, I'm just going to wait until tmobile gets their butts into gear and give us an official updated version

02-09-09 12:17 PM
    Reply to Thread
    08-24-09 08:56 AM
62 123
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD