ok. so my daughter dropped my 2 week old bb in the sink. we let it dry out for a couple of weeks (in rice) and nothing happened, so we sent it away to bb to see if it could be fixed. they sent it back saying sorry it needs a new pc board (so basically unfixable)... end of story right.

NOT - So, it's been about a month and i thought what the heck, maybe i'll hook it up to my computer and see what happens. Well, after alot of just messing around really, the outside screen came on with the clock on it. More messing around (and don't ask me what i did, i really don't know) and i can now call my bb and answer and hear people. then I push the side button and i can now call using voice (eg call home) and it will call. all the lights are on they keypad and trac ball but i can barely see the inside screen. it won't light up, it's really dark and hard to see. AND the keys are all screwed up (eg the menu key is a "1" now and there doesn't seem to be a menu key. What do you think? I really didn't even have time to get to know how to use the phone, i'm really hoping it will come back.

Has anyone had any problems with the screen backlight not coming on?
    02-20-09 10:19 PM
    Nothing to be confused about. From your discription of what the phone is doing... it's toast and not reliable regardless of if it can make or recieve calls.

Your flip was one of the unlucky ones that did not recover from a drowning. Its now has permanent "brain" damage.

Here's the bright side, at least if I were in the same situation, I now have a legit reason to buy a new BB phone other than the 8220.
    02-21-09 05:26 AM
    so, I just keep messing around, pushing buttons on the phone and now the inside screen lights up and I can see it. the only thing I can't do so far is access the app screen and the buttons are still confused (ie - the menu button thinks its a "1"). Anyway, I know there's not a lot of help out there, but I'm just going to document what happens when your bb goes for a swim.
    02-21-09 09:48 AM
    Why would you want a different berry than the 8220 lol? I myself love my 8220. After I break mine if that day comes another 8220 is what I'm getting. Think ill go red next time.

As for the screen lights. Maybe they are just surface mount led's or something? Maybe you can google how to fix and fix yourself. Careful though lol

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    02-21-09 12:23 PM
    ok, so now i can make and receive calls, access my contacts and call them, change my ring tone. still can't get the menu button to go to the apps screen. everybody cross your fingers...
    02-21-09 01:00 PM
    Keep us posted...
    02-21-09 01:04 PM
    I just read if you ever drop your phone in water to pull the battery and place the phone in a jar of uncooked rice. The rice actually draws out the water like a magnet and soaks it up. Ill have to try it out if my BB ever meets water
    02-21-09 08:00 PM
    I just read if you ever drop your phone in water to pull the battery and place the phone in a jar of uncooked rice. The rice actually draws out the water like a magnet and soaks it up. Ill have to try it out if my BB ever meets water
    YUP, he DID THAT!!

ok. so my daughter dropped my 2 week old bb in the sink. we let it dry out for a couple of weeks (in rice) and nothing happened, so we sent it away to bb to see if it could be fixed. they sent it back saying sorry it needs a new pc board (so basically unfixable)... end of story right.

NOT - So, it's been about a month and i thought what the heck, maybe i'll hook it up to my computer and see what happens. Well, after alot of just messing around really, the outside screen came on with the clock on it. More messing around (and don't ask me what i did, i really don't know) and i can now call my bb and answer and hear people. then I push the side button and i can now call using voice (eg call home) and it will call. all the lights are on they keypad and trac ball but i can barely see the inside screen. it won't light up, it's really dark and hard to see. AND the keys are all screwed up (eg the menu key is a "1" now and there doesn't seem to be a menu key. What do you think? I really didn't even have time to get to know how to use the phone, i'm really hoping it will come back.

Has anyone had any problems with the screen backlight not coming on?
    02-21-09 11:13 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD