Help! 2 days ago I got a new BlackBerry pearl 8100 locked to Vodafone Spain. I'm new to the Blackberry, as you will soon find out! I tried to upgrade the Desktop Manager from 4.2.0.14 to 4.5.0.15. because when I tried to use the application loader it was all greyed out telling me 'the blackberry desktop software does not have blackberry device software for the device that you have connected to the computer. Contact your wireless service provider or system administrator.' and forum advice on similar problems seemed to be to upgrade.
    I managed it from the computer point of view, but it didn't prompt for the phone to be upgraded, perhaps because I couldn't find the vendor.xml in the RIM folder to remove it... (there was nothing with the 4.2 version, and only a dll file with the 4.5.)
    I tried to download google maps onto the phone. The icon was there and it got to 10%, then said 'network unavailable:this app requires a data connection and some BB devices require reconfiguration to work properly. please visit google.co.uk/gmm on your computer for more info.' (the website was useless).
    I tried to actively connect using vodafone live and it said 'vodafone live unable to open a PDP context to the following APN: airtelwap.es This may be happening because the currently selected Browser config is not compatible with the current network', and yet in the phone's menu Settings About Browser it said Default Browser - Vodafone Live and also WAP browser configuration Vodafone Live'.
    I thought if I switched the phone off and pulled the battery, and restarted my computer again it might all sort itself out - No! I lost the Vodafone Live icon from my phone's menu, in the Browser, it now is empty, saying only 'Default Browser configuration: '.
    I uninstalled the 4.5.0.15 desktop manager, reinstalled the original 4.2.0.14 software that came with the phone, uninstalled the hung Google Maps.Restarted both computer and phone. Still no Vodafone icon or live connection.
    Vodafone Spain are less than helpful about customer service, whether in English or Spanish, and given that I was doing these things because I hoped to unlock the phone and not subscribe 18 euros per month for their very limited, everything you want is going to cost you' service (which they didn't tell me was extra when I bought the phone) I am hoping someone can point me in the right direction as to what to do next, short of going in to the shop and probably having to pay for them to reinstall their own settings coz I messed it up...
    any advice?
    thanks...
    08-16-08 02:18 PM
    Try to resend your service books. That will normally reinstale app that came from your service provider. Or try a master reset. Wipe handheld in security options then resend service books. Just do a backup with dm first. Good luck with it.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    08-17-08 12:52 AM
    Hi Dee, ?service books? how where - the page is blank, says 'no entries', think I'm going to have to fess up to vodafone on this one, the'yve got so much deactivated and I can't get my phone unlocked, thanks anyway...
    08-19-08 09:53 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD