I just purchased a pearl 8130 from verizon,I use a mac computer with osx ,it does have blue tooth capabilities.

My plans are to use Gmail..Ical and address book and itunes from mac..(poss pocket mac)

I wasnt sure weather to go that route or to use google sync and use all google apps.(since im going to use gmail.)

I would like to also know if syncing with my mac computer is better with one of these applications than the other .

Also your opinions would be appreciated as to which application would work better for me.

Thanks
    02-29-08 07:27 PM
    aunkster Welcome to Crackberry!
    I've never used any of the Google services so I can't help you there.
    But I might be able to with some of your other questions.
    As to syncing, you can either use PocketMac or Missing Sync.
    I've never used Missing Sync, but have used PocketMac.
    With this you can sync your contacts, address book, tasks, notes(stickies).
    You also can load apps and themes. You CAN NOT update the devices OS or transfer files.
    As to bluetooth, you can transfer media, as in music, pictures, videos, ring tones. But you CAN NOT load apps or themes or update the OS.
    You CAN NOT use your 8130 in Mass Storage Mode as there is a known issue where the device goes into a reboot cycle.
    You can use a card reader to mount the card and use drag and drop.
    Last is run Windows either straight with Boot Camp or one of the virtual softwares that are out the such as Parallels. This way you can run the Desk Top Manager and Back Up/Restore data, load apps and themes, AND update the devices OS.

Also there is a ton of info here...
    Mac Users - BlackBerry Forums at CrackBerry.com
    02-29-08 07:56 PM
    I know nothing about using a Mac, so I'll just say hello and welcome.
    02-29-08 09:47 PM
    Welcome Newbie!
    02-29-08 10:50 PM
    hope you're enjoyin' your pearl! :]
    02-29-08 11:25 PM
    Welcome to CrackBerry.
    02-29-08 11:49 PM
    I also use a Mac....follow Pete's advice...

He's wise beyond his years!
    03-01-08 12:07 AM
    I just use google sync and that way I have mail and my calender updated. I downloaded all of the programs but I have since removed all of them except sync, because my gmail comes in fine via the push email that came on my BB and it saves space on memory

My PC is windows based so I'm not sure if one or the other would be better on a mac, oh how I wish I had a mac
    Last edited by alexisbrooks; 03-01-08 at 01:35 AM.
    03-01-08 01:33 AM
    hi and welcome. Feel free to be addict to your BB and CB.
    03-01-08 06:38 AM
    aunkster Welcome to Crackberry!
    I've never used any of the Google services so I can't help you there.
    But I might be able to with some of your other questions.
    As to syncing, you can either use PocketMac or Missing Sync.
    I've never used Missing Sync, but have used PocketMac.
    With this you can sync your contacts, address book, tasks, notes(stickies).
    You also can load apps and themes. You CAN NOT update the devices OS or transfer files.
    As to bluetooth, you can transfer media, as in music, pictures, videos, ring tones. But you CAN NOT load apps or themes or update the OS.
    You CAN NOT use your 8130 in Mass Storage Mode as there is a known issue where the device goes into a reboot cycle.
    You can use a card reader to mount the card and use drag and drop.
    Last is run Windows either straight with Boot Camp or one of the virtual softwares that are out the such as Parallels. This way you can run the Desk Top Manager and Back Up/Restore data, load apps and themes, AND update the devices OS.

Also there is a ton of info here...
    []
    ok please bear with me..this is all new and some of the stuff went right over my thick skull..lol..

So as of now from what you said ,,I can use pocket mac to sync my ical ,address book and itunes and other media.

I CAN NOT update my pearl though..So I could go to verizon to get that done..

Im guessing I can do all the pocket mac stuff with my blue tooth on my mac and my blue tooth on my pearl..

I am not understanding what you mean when you say I can not use it in mass storage load..thats where i get lost.

as far as apps and themes cant i just download them from the web on my blackberry??

Now as for using gmail..any idea the best way to set this up..i keep hearing about push..that also goes over my head.

Thanks for everything
    03-01-08 07:16 AM
    Welcome to CB & BB. Enjoy the ride.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    03-01-08 07:17 AM
    Welcome to the Black n Crack!
    03-01-08 07:33 AM
    ok please bear with me..this is all new and some of the stuff went right over my thick skull..lol..

So as of now from what you said ,,I can use pocket mac to sync my ical ,address book and itunes and other media. Blue yes, Red no.

I CAN NOT update my pearl though..So I could go to verizon to get that done..Yes

Im guessing I can do all the pocket mac stuff with my blue tooth on my mac and my blue tooth on my pearl..
    You use PocketMac via USB to sync, BlueTooth to transfer Media files ( music, videos, pictures, ringtones).
    I am not understanding what you mean when you say I can not use it in mass storage load..thats where i get lost.
    When you connect your Pearl to your Mac via USB, on the BB's screen it will say Anable Mass Storage Mode? You need to say no. If it did work, then you would be able to mount the media card that's in your BB as a drive. Then you could just drag and drop media that way.
    as far as apps and themes cant i just download them from the web on my blackberry?? Yes you can. OTA ( Over The Air). But some apps and themes are only available via download.

Now as for using gmail..any idea the best way to set this up..i keep hearing about push..that also goes over my head. Push means that mail gets sent right to your device without you having to retrieve it. Like in Mac's Mail, you have to hit "Get Mail" well on your BB it just shows up. I've never used Gmail so I can't help you there.

Thanks for everything
    See my comments above.
    03-01-08 07:46 AM
    See my comments above.
    I did thats why I said please bare with me ,i didnt understand some of them.lol
    03-01-08 07:53 AM
    I did thats why I said please bare with me ,i didnt understand some of them.lol
    No problem, just let me know what you still don't understand and I'll try to help.
    I added comments to your post so it would be easier to address each issue.
    03-01-08 07:58 AM
    No problem, just let me know what you still don't understand and I'll try to help.
    I added comments to your post so it would be easier to address each issue.
    Im sorry ,its just the mass media question for now.

durring set up if I have the media card do I say yes?

Also when I do my first set up will my pearl automatically find my mac and vise / versa since they are both blue tooth.
    I cant thank you enough for being patient.

I currently have done no set up.
    Im charging my battery completely ..some even say to let the battery run down and do a second charge before set up.
    Not sure about that ,it was just hear say
    03-01-08 08:03 AM
    Im sorry ,its just the mass media question for now.

durring set up if I have the media card do I say yes?

Also when I do my first set up will my pearl automatically find my mac and vise / versa since they are both blue tooth.
    I cant thank you enough for being patient.

I currently have done no set up.
    Im charging my battery completely ..some even say to let the battery run down and do a second charge before set up.
    Not sure about that ,it was just hear say
    Question, during what set up is it asking if you have a media card?
    You need to set both up in BlueTooth. Once you do that then they see each other automatically.
    You only need to charge your battery fully. No need to drain and recharge before doing your set-up. You can even do it while it's on the charger.
    As to using BlueTooth to transfer files, this is how I did it.
    From my other post in the Mac Forum...

Ok tried this works fine. Don't worry about it giving you the error "lack of proper services".
    Try this, and mind you I'm running OS X 10.5.2 on a MacBook Pro, anyway, open Finder, locate the file you want to transfer. Now on your BB open Media, click menu>receive using bluetooth and while it's waiting, right click on the file in Finder, then select more at the bottom, then send xxx.xxx file to 8130.
    Bingo, off to the bb it goes! It will prompt you to a location.
    03-01-08 08:17 AM
    Question, during what set up is it asking if you have a media card?
    You need to set both up in BlueTooth. Once you do that then they see each other automatically.
    You only need to charge your battery fully. No need to drain and recharge before doing your set-up. You can even do it while it's on the charger.
    As to using BlueTooth to transfer files, this is how I did it.
    From my other post in the Mac Forum...

Ok tried this works fine. Don't worry about it giving you the error "lack of proper services".
    Try this, and mind you I'm running OS X 10.5.2 on a MacBook Pro, anyway, open Finder, locate the file you want to transfer. Now on your BB open Media, click menu>receive using bluetooth and while it's waiting, right click on the file in Finder, then select more at the bottom, then send xxx.xxx file to 8130.
    Bingo, off to the bb it goes! It will prompt you to a location.
    thanks,im useing osx 10.5.2 on imac g5..

ok when my set up starts the questions may come fast and furious..lol

so you dont have many problems with pocket mac and it will do ical and address book.

Thanks again
    03-01-08 08:39 AM
    thanks,im useing osx 10.5.2 on imac g5..

ok when my set up starts the questions may come fast and furious..lol

so you dont have many problems with pocket mac and it will do ical and address book.

Thanks again
    Well I won't say I don't have problems with PocketMac. It is a little sketchy at times, but the price was right. I believe Missing Sync works better for syncing somethings, but the problem is you can't load themes and apps with Missing Sync. So until Rim comes out with a Mac version of the DeskTop Manager, those two are the only games in town.
    Good luck with your BlueTooth set up and transfers!
    03-01-08 08:44 AM
    Hello, I'm a newbie also. I was wondering can bb themes be bluetoothed from one bb to another?

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    02-23-09 09:14 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD