I'm about to take the plunge and get my first BlackBerry, an 8120 most likely but I had a question (It's probably been asked before but I searched and couldn't find it).

I know that I can use wifi to browse the web with no data plan but can I use the BlackBerry functions like mail and such with just WiFi or does that require a BB data plan?

Most of the time I'm in range of public WiFi and would like to cancel the BB Data plan after the first month (have to sign up for at least a month for the rebate) but don't want to lose access to the BB specific functions.

Hopefully that all made sense and thanks in advance.

Shay
    06-24-08 02:12 PM
    Welcome to CB!

You can access it by accessing your individual accounts but you cannot get push email...for that you need to sign up for BIS through your carrier. If you are with Tmobile I'd recommend the $10/month unlimited email only service. I use that and I too have no data plan. It works very well.
    06-24-08 02:14 PM
    Welcome to CrackBerry!!

I have a TMo Curve 8320 (same price as the Pearl 8120).

First to answer your questions...

You cannot use email without a data plan. You need a data plan for that ($9.99 email only, $19.99 internet and email, $29.99 for enterprise email and internet)

Most people get the $20 unlimited email and internet! The WiFi on the 8120 and 8320 is a great feature!! You can use WiFi to browse the web and make calls over UMA

You will not "lose access" to some functions but to get the absolute most functionality out of your Berry you want a data plan.

Also, I would personally recommend the Curve (same price as the 8120) from TMo. The Curve has everything the Pearl has PLUS a bigger screen, more memory and a full QWERTY keypad.

Hope that helps and enjoy the forums! Some nice starter links are in my sig!! Use them once you get your berry and let us know what you ended up doing!
    06-24-08 02:16 PM
    Wow, quick responses (crackberry.com's existence was a large percentage of my decision to finally get a BB).

I guess I will keep the $10 TMo BB email because I already know I won't remember to check my email as I barely remember to check it on my pc.

As for Curve vs. Pearl, my main reason for going with the Pearl is size, I carry my phone in my pocket 99.9% of the time and the Pearl creates a less noticeable pocket bulge. I hadn't noticed that the Curve had more memory than the Pearl I thought the only difference was the keyboard and screen size, guess I need to go do some more research.

Shay
    06-24-08 02:23 PM
    Wow, quick responses (crackberry.com's existence was a large percentage of my decision to finally get a BB).

I guess I will keep the $10 TMo BB email because I already know I won't remember to check my email as I barely remember to check it on my pc.

As for Curve vs. Pearl, my main reason for going with the Pearl is size, I carry my phone in my pocket 99.9% of the time and the Pearl creates a less noticeable pocket bulge. I hadn't noticed that the Curve had more memory than the Pearl I thought the only difference was the keyboard and screen size, guess I need to go do some more research.

Shay
    I guess the memory of the Pearl is not a "highly advertised" feature, but many Pearl users are plagued by memory issues. With the Curve being set at the same price point as the Pearl 2 (8120), I would definitely think hard about getting the Curve. The Pearl, even after installing a custom memory optimized build, can run low on memory. Installing a microSD card helps but system files still use device memory. Without a memory optimized install (which is not hard to do following the guide in my sig) you will run into problems with the call log and your messages being randomly cleared to free device memory so your Berry can operate normally. This poses problems for a lot of users.

I carry my Berry in my pocket using the included OEM pouch and it is not annoying to me at all. The Curve will also be a little better down the road, considering not too long from now the new Berries will be coming out. The Pearl will be left in the dust and at least your Curve will have decent functionality. I love my Curve and I plan to continue using it for some time once the new devices finally land!

The size difference of the Curve is not that big of a deal. The Curve is still nice, thin and designed well. The QWERTY is a major plus along with the larger screen. I have used the 8100 series Pearl from TMo and the 7100t (the pearl predecessor) and the SureType keyboard is really intuitive, smart and easy; but once you get used to the Curve's QWERTY your accuracy and speed really improves!

I would really look into the Curve more, especially since you will drop the same amount ($150) on either device from TMo. Even if the Curve was more, I would still recommend it!

The Pearl
    06-24-08 02:34 PM
    I disagree. Pearl memory isnt as high as the curve's..agreed.. but it really isnt a problem for moderate users. I have about 7 third party apps yet I have 17MB free. I havent even deleted vendor themes and photos. If you arent a HEAVY application uploader then dont even worry about the memory problem. And if you notice a memory leak just do a battery pull or soft reset and it'll be back to normal.
    06-24-08 02:38 PM
    Maybe I am mistaken about the Pearl 8120 memory. I know the 8100 users had memory issues and were plagued with Call Log and Messages deleting randomly.

Sorry if I jumped to conclusions, but my opinion on Curve over Pearl stands... especially when they both cost $150 from TMo. The decision seems obvious, but I understand different people have different uses for their berries!
    06-24-08 02:40 PM
    I'm definately going to take another look at both before I make a decision since I hate changing phones (the only reason I'm changing now is that my unlocked Cing 3125 got smashed a couple weeks back and I'm currently using my wife's old pink razr).

I checked the BB site and they show the Curve, 8120 and 8100 as both having 64MB flash memory so I'm a tad confused on the memory issue.

Additional question, is it true that when the new BB OS is made available to the Curve it will be able to do video like the 8120?

Shay
    06-24-08 03:09 PM
    I have a 8130 but I may need to get the 8120 b/c I will be overseas for some time. I know the 8120 has wifi but can I use it as PAM
    06-25-08 03:16 AM
    i got my 8120 w/ a partial discount from tmobile and it was $200. how is the curve the same? are you talking about a full upgrade price or a new plan price?
    06-25-08 08:47 AM
    As of yesterday with a full upgrade discount the Curve was $250-$100 rebate and the 8120 was $200-$50 rebate from TMobile. Although i would suggest checking with authorized reseller's since Simply Wireless in my area (DC Metro Area) has the Curve for $229-$100 rebate and the 8120 for $179-$50 rebate.

Shay
    06-25-08 09:06 AM
    haha well damn too late. i got my partial discount instead of a full one so i can't get another for oh... 21 months. woo!
    06-25-08 09:18 AM
    8120 is a phone that has PDA functionality. To me, Curve and 8800s are PDAs that you can use for calling people.

Me, I want a phone. Oh, and I want to be able to get email while I'm out. The other stuff is neat too. Pearl is the way to go. This lets me leave my iPaq in the drawer.

When I get calls from people on their Curve or 8800, the call breaks up or I get lots of background noise, and often they're on a wired head/mic phone or Bluetooth (and I'm glad I'm not looking at them imitating Lt. Uhura.) I'm not looking for a big ole PDA thing in my hip pocket, I want something small for my front pocket, shirt, or hand. If I want a big screen to browse the web, well, that's what a laptop is for.

You'll know which device is for you when you determine if you want a data phone or a voice PDA.
    06-26-08 09:23 PM
    I'm with microman- I love my "days phone" Pearl as he called it. I do short, quick emails, a lot of mobile web, and use a few appa and games. The smaller size of the Pearl was the biggest plus and kept me from making the mistake of going with some Winblows smartphone or (at the time I got it) a more expensive Curve.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    06-26-08 09:54 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD