Hello. I recently purchased my first smartphone, a 8120 with wi-fi.
    I don't really have a need for all of the options as I do not own a business or anything like that, but I am just trying to organize my life a little. Anyway, when I try to put a task in the task application, after inputting all the info, times, dates, etc, and save, it does not show up on my task list. Every time I access Tasks, it says no tasks. They do however show up in my calendar, just not in the actual Task application. The guy at the store couldn't help me, so I'm hoping someone here may have some advice. I just want to be able to see a list of my tasks.
    Thanks.
    07-28-08 05:49 PM
    With the device on, remove the battery and then replace it after 30 seconds. After it boots up, see if they are in the Tasks app.

When you open the Tasks app and select New, is the cursor on the top line labled Tasks?

When you save a newly created task, is it not showing on the Tasks list with "Find:" at the top?
    07-28-08 07:38 PM
    I just did the battery pull. No luck.

When you open the Tasks app and select New, is the cursor on the top line labled Tasks? YES
    When you save a newly created task, is it not showing on the Tasks list with "Find:" at the top?

It is not. The list with Find at the top comes up and then it says "Business" under that, then " *No Tasks* " under that.
    If i change it to personal, same thing: " *No Tasks* "
    07-28-08 08:01 PM
    When you open Tasks, does it have "Find:" in the top left corner?
    07-28-08 08:17 PM
    The list with Find at the top comes up and then it says "Business" under that, then " *No Tasks* " under that.
    If i change it to personal, same thing: " *No Tasks* "
    07-28-08 08:27 PM
    If you create a new task named Test and save it, then type Test in the "Find" field, what happens?

What Theme are you using? You might change it to see if it makes a difference.
    Last edited by tyroni; 07-28-08 at 08:41 PM. Reason: typo
    07-28-08 08:37 PM
    If you create a new task named Test and save it, the type Test in the Find field, what happens?

What Theme are you using? You may change it to see if it makes a difference.
    If I create a new task named test then type test in the find field, it brings up a page with NEW TASK at the top with "test" as the title and all the info is the default value.

I'm using BB Dimension Zen.
    I changed themes, still same results.
    07-28-08 08:46 PM
    When I do that, it comes up as Edit Task, with the default values.

Have you upgraded the OS on the device?
    07-28-08 08:53 PM
    I have not upgraded the OS. I just got it two weeks ago and I went back to the store that I got it from, Cincinnati Bell, and they didn't say anything about the OS being outdated already.
    07-28-08 08:56 PM
    Just asking to rule out potential issues. There are Beta OS's out and with that you may experience some glitches.

It sounds like your Tasks app is hosed.

Have you installed the Desktop Manager software and the OS that is on your device on your PC?
    07-28-08 09:04 PM
    I have the desktop manager installed that came on the disk with my phone, but I have not done anything with the OS.
    07-28-08 09:16 PM
    Go to your carriers site and download the exact same OS that is on the device on to your PC

Find the version here: Options > About

BlackBerry - BlackBerry Desktop and Device Software Download Sites
    07-28-08 09:21 PM
    Ok, I couldn't find anything on my service provider's site, but using the link you gave me, I was able to download the software. Now, do I use the desktop manager to somehow re-instal the software?
    07-28-08 09:36 PM
    I think the issue is with your task filter. Earlier you mentioned that under Find it displays Business and switching to Personal shows no task too. Try unselecting all categories under the Filter menu and see what happens. If you are not selecting a category for new task and the filter is enabled, they will not appear in the task window.
    07-28-08 09:51 PM
    I think the issue is with your task filter. Earlier you mentioned that under Find it displays Business and switching to Personal shows no task too. Try unselecting all categories under the Filter menu and see what happens. If you are not selecting a category for new task and the filter is enabled, they will not appear in the task window.
    That's it. Thank you very much. I didn't try to unselect anything before, I didn't know that was an option. i just kept switching between personal and business.

Also, thanks tyroni for all your time and help.
    07-28-08 10:06 PM
    Good call rtademy! Sorry for the run around bbrockman. Never used the filters!

A couple of more things, male sure you backup fequently, and read and follow this thread by Stoner to maximize your devices memory.

Stoner's Guide
    Last edited by tyroni; 07-28-08 at 10:30 PM. Reason: fixed link
    07-28-08 10:16 PM
    No problem. I'm glad someone was taking the time to at least give me some ideas. Your link doesn't work to Stoner's guide, but I can do a search on it.

Another question just for my information, I see a lot of people on here talking about their PIN and exchanging PIN's and such. I know where to find my PIN, but what does exchanging it with others accomplish?
    07-28-08 10:23 PM
    No problem. Glad I could help.
    07-28-08 10:27 PM
    The PIN is a unique number the each BB has and is used for BlackBerry Messenger (BBM), which is similar to an IM, but it only works for BB's.

You can find more with a search. There are plenty of users on the Social forums that want to chat.
    07-28-08 10:28 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD