Hi all,
    I have been scouring the threads to see if someone has asked this question already but it seems my issue might be unique. I just bought a flip from ebay on Jan. 27. It is unlocked from Rogers, I am on T Mobile. Just pop in the sim and I should be good to go right? Not this time. When I put in the sim it went to GSM then to SOS and stayed there. Spoke to tmobile they recommended getting a new sim since the one I had in my previous BB was old, did that same outcome. Called tmobile back they sent service books, had me reset the phone, I had already upgraded the OS before putting in the sim and then they were at a loss. I spoke with RIM the phone is not blacklisted. I tinkered with settings. I do not know what else to try. Can someone help me PLEASE all I want to do is use my pretty pink flip!
    02-07-11 06:01 PM
    Have you placed the unit into 2G in mobile network options?
    02-07-11 06:19 PM
    Have you placed the unit into 2G in mobile network options?
    I am not sure. The only options I have are;

Data Services which I have on
    Connection Preference Mobile network preferred
    Network Selection Mode: Automatic
    02-07-11 06:56 PM
    Set it to manual.
    02-07-11 07:58 PM
    Set it to manual.
    Did that and it would say I could only make emergency calls. But this time when I did it while it was still 'searching' and it accepted the network. The downside is that it does not say anything-no t-mobile, no GSM, gsm, edge or EDGE and will not make any calls...
    02-07-11 08:07 PM
    well it is back to SOS now
    02-07-11 08:13 PM
    hmmmm... Are you sure it is unlocked??? When you type MEPPD in Options-Advanced- SIM Card, what do you see beside network?
    02-07-11 08:16 PM
    where would I type that? It says security disabled at the top it has my id and my phone number with some letters in parenthesis.
    02-07-11 08:30 PM
    Just start typing MEPPD when you see that screen .. another screen should pop up that looks like this if it is "locked":

02-07-11 08:47 PM
    hmm, I had to do it several times b4 the screen came up but they ALL say disabled
    02-07-11 08:54 PM
    Well then it's unlocked, did it work with the Rogers sim card?
    02-07-11 09:18 PM
    The woman I bought it from said it worked for her, she just did not like it and her husband bought her something else.
    02-07-11 09:39 PM
    When you opened Mobile Network Options and changed Network Selection Mode to manual, was T-Mobile listed as an option? Below is the screen I saw after I changed Network Selection Mode from Automatic to Manual and it had finished scanning for mobile networks. I assume the "H" next to T-Mobile means that is my SIM card's home network.
    02-08-11 09:59 AM
    That is exactly what I saw hubermania.
    02-08-11 10:45 AM
    The only other thing I might suggest is it could be a SIM slot problem. This phone is known for not making good contact with the SIM card. Tear a small strip off a business card and stuff it between the inside of the SIM slot and the back of your SIM card to force it against the contacts. My original SIM card fit poorly and I started getting "SIM Card Error" and "Initialization Failed" at the top of the main display where it should have said T-Mobile network. Wedging a piece of business card in back of the SIM card fixed it; I got a new SIM card several weeks later and haven't had the problem since.
    02-09-11 03:20 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD