Hi everyone. Just became a CB member after lurking on this site for a few weeks. Great site! I'm currently a Nokia flip phone user and will be buying my first blackberry soon. I've been going to the Verizon and T-mobile stores and getting my hands on both the Curve and Pearl. Have not made a definite decision yet on which one I will be getting. I'm leaning towards the Pearl because I prefer a smaller phone and the Pearl does have a great form factor. However, I do like the full QWERTY keyboard of the Curve and larger screen, but maybe I can live without it. I'm currently with T-mobile and would like to stay with them. Is it true that T-mobile is on a 2G network and Verizon is on a 3G network? Is 3G faster as far as web browsing is concerned? If T-Mobile is in fact on 2G, when they go to 3G will the Pearl 8120/8130 and the Curve be good to go or will I need to buy another new phone in order to get 3G?
    Last edited by Nick917; 06-20-08 at 12:52 PM.
    05-25-08 10:35 AM
    bump.....................
    06-20-08 12:53 PM
    Welcome to CrackBerry!!

As for your 3G question... you need to have a 3G capable phone to use the 3G features!!

RIM currently does not support any fully 3G phones... the Bold will be 3G when released.

Looking at your options right now, if you are still looking to stay with TMobile... then I would recommend the 8320 Curve. This is a personal opinion (as is the choice of carrier). Pick the device that suits your needs, whether it is the Pearl, Curve, 8800... or wait it out for the next wave of devices (which could happen God knows how long from now...)

The Curve is still a nice form factor... and IMO is not too big. The full QWERTY is really nice and the larger screen.

On the other hand, the Pearl is also a slick little device and SureType is seamless. The only thing about the Pearl is the memory issues. The Curve has more built-in memory... and the Pearl can run into serious memory problems. You can manage your memory really well and get external storage. But just a thought.

As far as the Pearl goes... I would recommend the 8120 (WiFi and UMA calling enabled!!). This device costs the same as the Curve 8320 for the time being... so I would just get the Curve at that price point (also WiFi and UMA enabled)
    Last edited by bmcclure937; 06-20-08 at 01:01 PM. Reason: MORE INFO!
    06-20-08 12:56 PM
    The Bold is Blackberry's 3G phone, and it isn't out yet. Tmo is GSM, and Verizon is CDMA. I'm not sure where you heard about VZW being 2G and Tmo being 3G....

Anyhow, I have the Curve and I couldn't be happier. I highly recommend it.

Oh, and sorry about your Nokia.
    06-20-08 12:59 PM
    The Bold is Blackberry's 3G phone, and it isn't out yet. Tmo is GSM, and Verizon is CDMA. I'm not sure where you heard about VZW being 2G and Tmo being 3G....

Anyhow, I have the Curve and I couldn't be happier. I highly recommend it.

Oh, and sorry about your Nokia.
    You're right, Verizon is 3G, but a different type of 3G than GSM carriers use. I don't remember all the details. As for Tmobile being 3G, they just started upgrading their network to 3G, about the end of May if memory serves correctly. Currently I believe it's only available in NYC or something like that, not even Chicago, where I thought TMo was bigger than on the east coast.
    06-20-08 01:08 PM
    what do IMO stand for? there are some other ones as well that i dont know the meaning of. when i am reading the threads i be like WTF is that.
    06-20-08 02:01 PM
    what do IMO stand for? there are some other ones as well that i dont know the meaning of. when i am reading the threads i be like WTF is that.
    In my opinion.

To the Op, The pearl for Verizon is a GREAT phone, I thought I would miss the full qwerty keyboard, but I Dont at all! and Verionz pearl is 3g, it is very fast and you do notice the difference.
    06-20-08 02:19 PM
    Personal choice is the key here. I had the Pearl just under a month before switching to the Curve. It's really not all that much bigger about the width of my thumb. I like the full keyboard, increased memory and larger screen.

As far as carriers look at the coverage maps to see who gives you the best coverage in your area and the areas that you frequent. I always go coverage, price, and equipment when making a choice. Coverage wins out all the time. What is the sense of having a great phone or a low price if you can't use the phone?
    06-20-08 02:27 PM
    Welcome to CB.

I will recommend the pearl 8130 or wait for th
    e BOLD.
    06-20-08 02:32 PM
    thanks. guess i have alot of learning to do. what about imho and what are some others if you dont mind sharing
    06-20-08 03:53 PM
    welcome to cb
    06-20-08 04:06 PM
    thanks. guess i have alot of learning to do. what about imho and what are some others if you dont mind sharing
    In my Honest opinion.
    06-20-08 07:34 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD