Thank you everyone for your help. I just felt like there was not much material included with the phone to help learn its functions.

I am interested in BBAlerts but see that some have had trouble with it and that it has been constantly upgraded. Does anyone know of the current version that will work on my phone?
    01-09-08 04:14 PM
    version 1.49... is the latest? or am I way behind, lol...
    01-09-08 04:22 PM
    Actually 1.60 is BBAlerts latest and folks seem to be having best luck with this version on the 8130.
    01-09-08 06:05 PM
    One last question, I promise!

When I purchased this phone, I did not set up a plan to access the internet. I am primarily just concerned with checking my school email. I do not want to sync my device, for I receive many emails each day and do not want to be notified each and everytime.

All I want to do is to get online and go to my school webpage and check my mail so I can then write back on my laptop when I am back in my dorm.

Do I use the set-up wizard to create an internet connection? Is it cheaper to pay as you go, for all I want is that one page...?

Thank you.
    01-09-08 06:18 PM
    When I purchased this phone, I did not set up a plan to access the internet.
    Help me understand what you mean by that. Do you not have a data plan?
    I do not want to sync my device, for I receive many emails each day and do not want to be notified each and everytime.
    You do not have to set up any email accounts on your BB if you choose not to.
    Do I use the set-up wizard to create an internet connection? Is it cheaper to pay as you go, for all I want is that one page...?
    No, Setup Wizard is not needed for internet connection... need further clarification on 1st item to comment on the last piece of your questions.
    01-09-08 07:03 PM
    I was told that there is a monthly fee to access the internet on the BB...Is this correct? I was told that if I chose to access the internet I was on a pay as you go option, in other words as of right now I do not pay to use the internet.

I take back my second statement in your post GG. I attempted to sync my school email to my phone. I will test it out shortly.

I guess what I'm saying is am I the only one who did not get ANY info on setting up this phone. I did not receive a manual or anything. How would one know how to do the things this phone is capable of?

Did I do the right thing by synching my school email? All I want to be able to do is see if I received any emails throughout the day...

If though, I wanted to access the internet and surf the web, how do I go about doing this?

Thank you for your patience.
    01-09-08 07:15 PM
    You need a data plan in order to browse the internet and add email addresses and there is a monthly fee for it. Don't know what the fee is for verizon but imagine it to be around $30
    Last edited by cindylov4; 01-09-08 at 07:50 PM.
    01-09-08 07:47 PM
    I just added an email address. It works but takes about 20 min to get to me...why is this?

What do I need to do to access the internet?
    01-09-08 07:55 PM
    If in fact you do not have the BlackBerry Internet Service data plan, you will be charged for all of your data usage... be warned internet usage is very data intensive, which can incur very high data fees very quickly!

It could take up to 20 mins for your email account(s) to be 1st registered with the BB servers and begin flowing to your BB.

Regarding your question of a manual, there should have been one packaged in your 8130 box along with your discs... in addition here's VZWs very high level 8130 Product Demo
    01-09-08 08:18 PM
    Thank you.

All I received was a booklet titled tips, hints and shortcuts...

So you are saying that over time my emails should get to me faster?
    Also, how do I not receive emails in my message folder? I would only like them in my email folder.
    01-09-08 08:53 PM
    Gryz... The manual was on the CD.
    One question, and this is for anybody, if you do not have a data plan how can you receive email?
    01-09-08 08:56 PM
    I was told I was on a pay as you go plan. I went in today to double check and it turned out I was on a 44.95/month unlimited access plan. I do not need this so I dropped it to 24.95/m for 10mb. That should be more than enough just to check email don't you think?
    01-10-08 11:31 AM
    Without a BB Data Plan, you can't get RIM push email on the BB.

Then 10mb/month should be good for mail only. You will quite surprised if you go over the 10.
    01-10-08 11:40 AM
    I was told I was on a pay as you go plan. I went in today to double check and it turned out I was on a 44.95/month unlimited access plan. I do not need this so I dropped it to 24.95/m for 10mb. That should be more than enough just to check email don't you think?
    Verizon recently updated their plans...mine is either $25 or $30 unlimited.
    01-10-08 11:41 AM
    Verizon recently updated their plans...mine is either $25 or $30 unlimited.
    Hmm...mine was definitely 44.95/month...I saw the paperwork. Either way though, I am glad it is down to a reasonable price.
    01-10-08 05:09 PM
    Glad you got to bottom of exactly what data plan you had. Keep in mind as js said, you'll be unhappy if you end up exceeding the 10mb. For an additional $5 you may also want to consider the BIS unlimited data plan @ 29.99
    01-10-08 05:14 PM
    Is this something I can change at my local verizon dealer?

Will this 29.99 give unlimited internet access and email and snything else?

Thank you again
    01-10-08 06:21 PM
    Sure, can be activated in store or by calling CS. The BIS plan includes internet & email, but not SMS, you would still need an additional text package if you're a texter.
    01-10-08 06:32 PM
    Thank you.

I will try to get this resloved tomorrow.
    On my last phone I had unlimited text, so hopefully it carried over. I will double check tomorrow also.
    01-10-08 06:36 PM
44 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD