So I have searched around and found some threads, but was wondering what this forum has to say about a couple issues I am having with my new pearl flip--my first ever BB.

1. Caller ID Announce: used this feature for over 5 years ony my old dumbphones and windows mobile (MS voice command). Any plans to add this feature in future OS (I heard 5.0 is coming out eventually for the 8230--what features will it add?)?
    2. Threaded SMS/MMS. This feature was just added to windows mobile 6.1. I noticed that only BBM has this feature. Plans for this as well?
    3. Calendar section preview on today screen. I like the stock zen theme that verizon provided but it can't preview a couple upcoming events on my today screen like my old windows mobile. Other than changing the whole theme, are there any little apps or add-ons that I can download/purchase that can be used for any theme? If not, I am going to try and make my own theme. Can someone provide the zen theme files so that I could try to add this feature myself? I can't find the stock theme files anywhere.
    4. Vibrate then ring. My old phones had a feature that would first vibrate then ring. I found an app for this. Anyone know of any free ones out there? Seems like it should have been included in the OS!
    5. Voice dial--is there anyway to have this go through the ear speaker instead of the external speaker? I mostly leave the phone on vibrate and I can't hear the prompts.

That should be it for now. I really like this phone so far...way better than my old windows mobile! I experienced a lockup trying to send a simple MMS video yesterday, but I'm hoping this won't be a regular occurance. Love the flip too!
    07-27-09 02:27 PM
    If you were to search each of these you will find an answer on CB. Many of these such as threaded SMS have several threads(no such thing yet). All I can say is to just search. CB has all the info you need.
    07-27-09 02:44 PM
    If you were to search each of these you will find an answer on CB. Many of these such as threaded SMS have several threads(no such thing yet). All I can say is to just search. CB has all the info you need.
    Thanks, most of the time I really do search around first but I have spent hours trying to figure out the right lingo for my searches. Some of the answers are buried in pages of threads that would take me many days to sort through. I thought that since there were so many new BB users on this thread they may have found quick answers to (what I thought) are quick questions.

I have taken your suggestion though and have started my searches. I would still like to see some pearl flip user perspectives on my issues. I haven't found all the answers yet. This has become a full time job over the last 3 days since I bought the phone.
    07-27-09 03:03 PM
    1. Do you mean it will say the name of the person calling? Interesting -- I've never had this feature on any of my phones before. It doesn't do it out of the box but someone may have written an app for it.

2. See cjjeffers reply above

3. Not sure what you are talking about

4. Not only can you do "Vibe then Ring" you cna tell it how many times you want it to Vibe and how many times you want it to ring. Go to "Profiles -- Advanced", then choose the profile you want to modify and you will find the "notification" options for every event on your BB

5. I can Voice dial from my Bluetooth ear bud -- I hit the button and is says "Say a command" I say "Call <whoever>" and it dials
    07-27-09 04:24 PM
    1. Do you mean it will say the name of the person calling? Interesting -- I've never had this feature on any of my phones before. It doesn't do it out of the box but someone may have written an app for it.

2. See cjjeffers reply above

3. Not sure what you are talking about

4. Not only can you do "Vibe then Ring" you cna tell it how many times you want it to Vibe and how many times you want it to ring. Go to "Profiles -- Advanced", then choose the profile you want to modify and you will find the "notification" options for every event on your BB

5. I can Voice dial from my Bluetooth ear bud -- I hit the button and is says "Say a command" I say "Call <whoever>" and it dials
    Thanks Much Tiassa.
    1. I guess it's just something I've been used to. Everyone has their own habits when it comes to phones. This is my first BB, so it is a whole new OS for me. It is extremely handy when you have your phone down on the dresser and someone calls. The phone justs speaks the name of the person calling and you can decide whether or not to get up and get the phone.
    2.Too bad, not a deal breaker though. Any rumors regarding OS 5.0?
    3.Many business minded themes out there have a calendar section on the today screen. It basically shows a couple upcoming events right on top of the wallpaper above the 5 icons. This way you don't need to go into the calendar application each time you want to see your upcoming events. This really should be part of the OS if you ask me.
    4.Thanks, figured it out.
    5.I knew the bluetooth thing, I was wondering if you can just port the command prompts through the phones ear piece instead of the speaker when it is on vibrate. I don't usually carry around a bluetooth as my car has a built in one.

Thanks for helping me out, I'm slowly starting to understand this new BB world!
    07-27-09 09:54 PM
    I just got my first bb about a month ago, so I can totally get your feeling about it being a full-time job. The transition really does take time. I went from an LG dumbphone to this and while I am loving my bb (perhaps too much, my husband informs me), all of the additional features and it's versatility do take time to learn and adjust to your needs. There is also a whole new vocabulary that goes with it, so I suggest that while cjeffers is probably right, the answers are all out there somewhere, kindness and patience with newcomers on this site was really appreciated by me when I was first unboxing and so I would like to pass on whatever help I can.

1. I really can't help you--I had a verizon LG and never had this feature, my husband has a Verizon Motorola and his doesn't do this either. I think you must have lucked out. There probably is an app somewhere that can make this happen for you if you look--in fact when I was looking at mail apps for my phone I vaguely recall this being an option for one of them but I'll be darned if I could tell you which.

2.You want the texts of all your previous mms/sms messages to come up with the new one? I don't think you can do this. I guess I never really missed it from my last phone. You can go back to the old message and open it though.

3. You can't import part of another (like the calendar view of the today theme) theme into the default theme. For what you are wanting, creating your own theme might not be a bad idea, especially since I have been having a hard time myself finding free compatitble themes with the VZW 8230. I have also read at least one post thought of someone with our phone having problems getting plasmic to work. I haven't tried it--let me know how it goes, and if you get it working please post because I think I would love your theme!

4. I think DGold82 answered this already.

5 I don't use my bluetooth, sorry!

Good luck, and like I said before welcome! It'll be worth the adjustment!
    07-28-09 01:36 PM
    I still have the storm but my prior cell was LG VX8700 and *it* had the caller id voice function. I enjoyed it for a while but got annoyed by numbers and not names. I chose to use specific ringtones for anyone important. If I keep storm or go to pearl flip I will do the same.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    07-28-09 08:11 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD