Hello all, I'm getting the pearl 8130 for verizon in a couple days, been a verizon sucker I mean customer for a while yeah I think verizon is expensive but oh well. So I was just wondering a couple things, my girlfriend is going to Croatia soon and she has tmobile and I was wondering with my 8130 and she has a pearl to if we are capable of talking/texting, cause for her when she got the pearl it said world phone, but for my pearl is isn't but I think we are still able to communicate. If its not a world phone like the curve or whatever then how can we text, also anyone have any idea of how much it is to text and/or call. Also is it certain that verizon customers have to pay the required data fee of $29 a month? I really don't like that about verizon even tho I would use the internet I just vary on the amount I use it so I'd like a pay as you go or something, but oh well. And last is since this is more of a palm pilot type thing than a phone, what is it that I have to do with it, I see all this software downloads and other stuff and its like wow, a lot of shiz. Plus I still gotta figure out how to transfer contacts and stuff, but I'm sure I'll find out all of this eventually but I just thought I'd ask to get a jump on things.

Thanks,
    Moment of silence for the lives lost for our country.
    05-26-08 03:16 AM
    Hi and welcome.
    05-26-08 06:23 AM
    welcome to CB
    05-26-08 07:31 AM
    I believe that there are several posts in these forums to answer each one of your questions. That will most likely be your best source of information.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    05-26-08 07:35 AM
    Welcome to the crack!
    Just like QuezXLV said, you should try searching before posting. Good luck.

05-26-08 07:59 AM
    If you can afford it, consider the Curve. It is awesome and you will love the keyboard.
    05-26-08 08:00 AM
    Thank you all for your replys, I have searched around and found many answers, but my only one is just a little confusing, I haven't found a solid answer. I just need to be certain about the whole texting or calling internationally specifically Croatia and Serbia, I have verizon the person I'm texting has tmobile but the blackberry pearl 8130 is not a "world edition" phone and I was told by a verizon employee that I can text but how is that possible if the 8130 is not globlal? Ahh so confusing.
    05-27-08 01:59 AM
    It might be the fact that it is a dual band phone. Your 8130 works on 800/1900 Mhz network frequency.

In Europe we use a frequency of 900/1800 Mhz.

And then the cost for sms text messaging could be different ( higher ) between international operators.
    05-27-08 03:03 AM
    Okay I got my berry finally, and I am having trouble finding the back up assistant, I don't even know what folder to select. Also trying to put ring tones on but that I'll save for tomorrow. So yeah help with the backup assistant?
    05-30-08 02:25 AM
    As part of the DM software, there is an option to backup, just like there are options to sync, control media etc...

05-30-08 03:36 AM
    As far as texting goes, you can text anybody in the world actually. Doesn't matter if they have a "world phone" or not. I text friends in Asia and Saudi Arabia often, and most of them have regular cellphones, and they get my text fine You will have to pay the international texting fees of your provider though ofcourse. That one you will have to ask Verizon how much it costs per text. If I were you, ill monitor how much you spend on text per month (especially since you pay both outgoing and incoming). If it is the same or even more than an unlimited data plan, ill get a data plan (so should your gf) and just message each other using BB Messenger since that one uses data (w/c both of you will now have unlimited access) instead of text.

For the backup feature, when you back up your phone, DM will ask you what filename you want and where to save the backup file on your computer. Now when you want to load that backup, just look for it on that folder where you placed it.

Hope that helps and welcome to CB.

05-30-08 04:02 AM
    By the way, its great that you are figuring out the backup feature as early as now because that's the most important thing (I think) that people should do whenever they get a new BB. So it's safe to say that you are slightly above being a "newBBie"

05-30-08 04:09 AM
    Hi! welcome to CB.
    05-30-08 08:45 AM
    welcome

i would just use the bb messenger as it just uses data and not sms texts. you just have to know each other's pin.
    05-30-08 10:43 AM
    lol I'm slowly getting the hang of it, so is their a feature to get all the old contact from my old phone to my new one? I'm so busy its hard to look...
    05-30-08 01:25 PM
    welcome to cb!
    05-30-08 01:51 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD