I just received my Pearl flip 8230....i can't stand the SureType. I don't want it to 'guess' what im typing.. and i have to choose from the list. I'm sure there's a way to do standard txting.....any help is appreciated!
    07-31-09 10:40 PM
    Yup. Hit the BB menu key (the one with the BB logo on it) and select "Enable Multitap" from the menu. It will now work like any other non-qwerty cell phone (except it has more keys, so at worst you're looking at hitting the key twice, as opposed to 3 times on a regular keypad).

I use Multitap ALL THE TIME. It is way faster than Suretype to me.
    08-01-09 09:05 AM
    On mine you have to go to options>language>input language>English (United States, Multitap).
    08-01-09 10:27 AM
    I just received my Pearl flip 8230....i can't stand the SureType. I don't want it to 'guess' what im typing.. and i have to choose from the list. I'm sure there's a way to do standard txting.....any help is appreciated!
    +1 on that for sure!
    drives me batty as well. Both the above responses will accomplish turning sure-type off, however, the first method is constantly reset in my experience. Every reboot/quickpull you would have to hit bb key, and enable multitpap.
    Using the above languages->options method has made mine STAY on multi-tap..
    hth
    cheers
    jrv
    08-01-09 10:50 AM
    I know its a huge **** off at first, but give suretype a chance use it for a while and youll learn to love it. Does get annoying at times when you ask someone if they want to go "holding" when you meant to say "Golfing" but it makes typing much easier.
    08-01-09 12:48 PM
    I actually have grown to really like SureType (most of the time). More and more I can type without staring at the keypad, and I can utilize that suggestions list more.

But what I do dislike is when you have to enter a word not in the dictionary. Like you often see in a URL, or an unusual name.

Is there a quicker way to toggle multitap (and back) without having to select "Enable Multitap" from the menu? Like a shortcut key?
    09-02-09 11:35 PM
    I learned to like SureType a lot. The trick for me is to keep typing like I'm doing now. I barely look at the screen now days. Double tapping for me is a thing of the past.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    09-02-09 11:58 PM
    I love SureType, works great; my wife hates it, absolutely can't stand it.

Thanks mudpiegirl for the permanent MultiTap/SureType setting.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    09-03-09 08:04 AM
    I know its a huge **** off at first, but give suretype a chance use it for a while and youll learn to love it. Does get annoying at times when you ask someone if they want to go "holding" when you meant to say "Golfing" but it makes typing much easier.
    I agree. First time using suretype was a real eye opener and took some getting used to but I learned to really like it and was fairly fast at it.
    09-03-09 09:07 AM
    Thank goodness there's a remedy. I can't stand SureType at all. This has me excited. Now if I can only get my text message to go through lol.
    09-03-09 07:05 PM
    I agree that you should use whichever method you prefer.

FYI - SureType will "learn" which words you use and move them up the guess list.

Enjoy your new BBFlip!
    09-06-09 10:59 AM
    I absolutely hated T9 on my old phones, but when I read about how Suretype learns as you go, I decided to give it a try. After the first few days, it's now way quicker than regular typing would be for me. I rarely have to look at the screen while I'm typing anymore.
    09-06-09 03:39 PM
    I set my phone for both English and Spanish. At first I hated predictive input. But now, it's learned my bellydance terms and Spanish words and I just do a quick read before sending. It is funny the word combinations sometimes but overall, I learned to really like it.
    09-17-09 09:48 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD